RMGROUP mail
April 1997

Subject: RE: Peter and the Wolf

RMGROUP wrote:

> ROC reported:
> >        RM looked and sounded wonderful, but there was no chance to speak to him
> > as, like I said above, he ducked out during the cartoon montage.
>
> He must have sensed your presence in the room. ;-)

        Sally suggested that I should have gone up to one of the ushers or coordinators and tried to plead my case with them... I might have considered that, but I guess I didn't make my message clear... The way RM introduced the cartoon montage, I'm sure everyone in the room expected him to be back at the podium when it was over as he said something like "Before we go on, here's a collection...." I know *I* certainly expected him to come back. By the time the lights came up and that other lady stepped to the podium, RM was long gone. Believe me, if he'd stuck around I'd have done *something* -- even if it was just fainting in the bushes outside the guest entrance!
        :->

> > Oh well. At least I got there this time!
>
> Your luck must be changing!

        Oh, I certainly hope so!!

--Roc

Subject: RE: Roddy on Oscar pre-show

At 10:05 PM 3/30/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Since no one has mentioned it yet (unless it's in a post I haven't
>gotten to yet...I'm still enormously behind!), I just wondered if I
>was the only one who saw Roddy on the E! Oscar pre-show? He was with
>Kate Burton, Richard and Sybil Burton's daughter. (Anyone else watch
>the series she did a few years ago? I think it was called something
>like "Home Fires", or had "Home" in the title somewhere anyways.
>Unfortunately it only lasted for a few episodes (although I thought it
>was pretty good), but I do have them on tape...somewhere <g>!! I
>think she's mostly doing theatre these days though, and not much TV or
>movies.) Both of them looked really great, BTW.

I don't get E! so I didn't see it, but Roddy was with Kate last year at the Oscars. So he was once again with Kate this year too?

...Sally..
Sally Mierop
rm_fan@cyberdrive.net

Subject: first message from new member

Hello,
        I'm new to this list and to the internet as a whole. My name is Pamela, I'm 26, just graduated law school (last May) and I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up. I have been a Roddy McDowall fan for as long as I can remember. I don't know which one of his films I saw first, it might have been the Planet of the Apes series, but I've always tried to see as many of his films as possible. I see now, from the extensive list on the tribute page, that I've hardly scratched the surface. I guess I was 11 or 12yrs. old when 'Tales of the Gold Monkey' was on TV. Needless to say I was glued to every episode.

        This is an incredible experience for me. Most of my contemporaries (twenty somethings) don't know much about Roddy McDowall. In fact, I don't think I know anyone else who avidly scours the local video store for his films. I was THRILLED to find the tribute page and this group. I was so convinced that such a thing wouldn't exist, I didn't bother to even think to look for it until a few days ago. I look forward to participating in this group.

Pamela
pj11@ix.netcom.com

Subject: RE: First message from new member

PAMELA wrote:
>Hello,
> I'm new to this list and to the internet as a whole. My name is
>Pamela, I'm 26, just graduated law school (last May) and I'm still
>trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up. ...

Welcome, Pamela, to our little group!!!

We have *two* Pamelas now! I wonder if there'll ever be two Sallys. :-)

Oh, Pamela, there's a Tales of the Gold Monkey website too. If you haven't seen it and would like to check it out, you can find it at - http://members.aol.com/pma082267/goldmonkey/index.html

...Sally..
Sally Mierop
rm_fan@cyberdrive.net

Subject: Tribute to Lauren Bacall

Hi everyone,

Here's where RM was on Monday.

...Sally..

Monday, March 31, 1997

ANN CONWAY
Bacall Offers Words of Strength at Her Tribute
By ANN CONWAY

        She got the standing ovation many thought she deserved at the Academy Awards.
        No sooner had Lauren Bacall swept into the Hyatt Regency Irvine ballroom than 500 fans--many toting cameras--jumped to their feet. Bacall's recent speaking engagement at the Pacific Symphony benefit came two days after she lost her bid for best supporting actress.
        The spirited outpouring seemed to catch her by surprise. But Bacall, 72, stood calmly before the crowd, smiling, head high. "This is what she needed--I told her Orange County loved her," said benefit chairwoman Margo Chamberlin of Newport Beach. (Chamberlin and her committee had lined up Bacall to speak before the actress received her nomination.)
        A film tribute to the actress was included in the "Experience the Look" luncheon that netted $100,000 for the orchestra. Watching the tribute on twin screens, guests giggled and applauded as they saw the sultry star deliver lines from "To Have and Have Not," "How to Marry a Millionaire" and "The Mirror Has Two Faces"--for which she received her Oscar nomination. "Oh my," Bacall said from the podium, after watching herself go from ingenue to mother-of-the-bride in six minutes. "Things do change, you know, with the passage of time."
        Beginning a speech that was more about family and work than Tinseltown, Bacall spoke of Newport Beach: "Newport played a big part in my courting days with Bogart," she began. "He was a member of the Newport Harbor Yacht Club."
        She hesitated a moment, studying her speech. She seemed to have lost her place. "You'll have to forgive me--my brain is a little scrambled," she said. "I have been slightly preoccupied. It has been award-time in my profession. Los Angeles has been consumed by it, and I, too, have been consumed. "Now that that's over, I can breathe again, move onto other things."
        It would be the only time during her 30-minute talk that Bacall would allude to the Oscars.
        Listening from the back of the room was actor and close friend Roddy McDowall.
        "I had to come down [from Los Angeles] to see my friend," said McDowall, who has starred in classics such as "How Green Was My Valley" and "Planet of the Apes." "I hadn't heard her speak. And, of course, she's wonderful. She has that intangible something that sets her apart from the crowd.
        "And she's always surprising her fans," he added, "because she keeps doing things that people don't expect, like becoming a stage star, a musical star, an author. She is a lady of enormous industry and glamour."
        For Bacall, industry always came first. "My great luck in life was being surrounded by people who had goals," she told the crowd. "There is no greater curse than not having a goal in life. I wanted to work, dreamed of being a star."
        Then she met Bogart. "I fell in love with and wanted to marry Bogie as badly as I wanted to breathe," she said. She married the 44-year-old actor when she was 19.
        "And that meant making promises . . . that our life together would always come first."
        When Bogie died of lung cancer in 1957, "work moved back into first place in my life," she said. "Fortunately, I was able to keep my name alive enough so I could get a job." She paused, looked up from her notes. "I can't believe it; I'm still unemployed!" she deadpanned.
        While she loves her profession, "it's not all clover," she said. There have been several stage injuries, countless rejections. "We have to constantly audition, and we are constantly turned down--we're always trying to please directors, producers and audiences. We even try to please our agents, and we pay them. Figure that one out."
        She plans to work as long as she can remember lines, she said. "I want to be like John Gielgud--at the age of 94, still delivering the goods."
        But you have to have an "inner strength" to survive in the industry, she added. "The strength I have, I have through the grace of my mother and Bogie--the two greatest influences of my life."
        Event proceeds will go toward underwriting the Pacific Symphony's "String of Pearls" gala May 17 at the Hyatt Regency Irvine. Dancer-choreographer Tommy Tune will entertain. (714) 755-5788, Ext. 264.

Copyright Los Angeles Times

----------------------------------

Sally Mierop
rm_fan@cyberdrive.net

Subject: Paul Worley's visit

I had a great time yesterday visiting with Paul Worley and his wife Helen while they were here in Toronto . They're both lovely people.

We had loads of fun driving around to various filming locations used in Forever Knight (which we're all fans of, as well as being Roddy fans), and we ran into a bunch of movie sets in our travels as well! Since I don't have a car, it was a real treat to drive around so freely and easily and get to so many places!

We had a wonderful time being together and it's so nice to be able to put a face to a name! If anyone else is going to be visiting Toronto, please make sure you get in touch with me beforehand so we can arrange to meet. And if meeting Paul and his wife is any indication, if this mythical "convention" with Roddy ever WERE to take place, I can tell we'd all have the time of our lives, just being together with each other, never mind with Roddy!

Lynne Ackerman
gnbv32c@prodigy.com (preferred address) or be028@torfree.net

Subject: Welcome, Pamela

Hi!

As a recent addition to the group myself, I just wanted to take a second to welcome you. Just jump right in. It's a pretty friendly crowd.

O.K., Everyone,

For the last few days, I've had a vague memory of a movie flitting around in my head. It would have been from the 70's and probably made for TV. Roddy played a conman. He kidnapped a woman and was supposed to pass her off as an heiress. Does anyone else remember this movie? Sally, you have pretty good recall. What was it called? It's driving me insane! I've been digging through my movie guides with no luck.

Cheryl

Hi Pam!!!
        So good of your to join us! Hope you're up for a lot of fun!!! We're all a really freindly group here, and we'll chew your ears off if you let us. (Please, let us!)        :)
        Welcome to the list! Enjoy!

-Paul
crah@infonline.net

Subject: RE: Paul Worley's visit

I had a great time yesterday visiting with Paul Worley and his wife Helen while they were here in Toronto . They're both lovely people.
------
Ahhhh, shucks! You're making us blush Lynn!!!

and we ran into a bunch of movie sets in our travels as well!
------
Lynn forgot to mention that she picked up a scoop on one of the sets about one of the Forever Knight stars. (watch for Nigel Bennett in the just released Murder at 1600, and in the now filming One Tough Cop)

. And if meeting Paul and his wife is any indication, if this mythical "convention" with Roddy ever WERE to take place, I can tell we'd all have the time of our lives, just being together with each other, never mind with Roddy!
-----
There you go again Lynne, making us blush! Anyway, for those of you going to Toronto, do give Lynne a call. Aside from being able to keep us in stiches, she's a great tour guide!

-Paul
crah@infonline.net

Subject: RE: Welcome Pamela

CHERYL wrote:

> For the last few days, I've had a vague memory of a movie flitting
> around in my head. It would have been from the 70's and probably
> made for TV. Roddy played a conman. He kidnapped a woman and was
> supposed to pass her off as an heiress. Does anyone else remember
> this movie? Sally, you have pretty good recall. What was it
> called? It's driving me insane! I've been digging through my movie
> guides with no luck.

Actually, sounds like a confused, backwards memory of Overboard... otherwise, rings no bells for me. Sorry.

--Roc

CHERYL wrote:

> For the last few days, I've had a vague memory of a movie flitting
> around in my head. It would have been from the 70's and probably
> made for TV. Roddy played a conman. He kidnapped a woman and was
> supposed to pass her off as an heiress. Does anyone else remember
> this movie? Sally, you have pretty good recall. What was it
> called? It's driving me insane! I've been digging through my movie
> guides with no luck.

Gosh, Cheryl, it doesn't ring a bell. I haven't seen all of his films, on TV or theatre. The only thing that comes to mind *because of the title* is - The Million Dollar Face back in 1981, one of those NBC Movie of the Week. I didn't see it so I don't know if I'm even close.

Anybody can help us out with this one?

...Sally..
Sally Mierop
rm_fan@cyberdrive.net

Subject: Circle of Iron/Silent Flute

Hi everyone,

        Thanks for welcoming me into your group. I tuned into Circle of Iron by accident at a friend's place (I think it was on TNT & I don't have cable). I started watching it because, lets face it, the kung fu monkey men were amusing. I had no idea RM was in it. My friend & I went out, so I didn't see much more of the movie, nor did I see RM. When I logged on to the RM tribute page for the first time and looked at the filmography I saw Circle of Iron listed, but didn't make the connection. I was reading David Carridine's auto-bio (don't ask me why, I usually read SF/Fantasy)and came across RM's name when he was talking about the film. He had something to say about all the other actors in the film like Christopher Lee etc., but nothing to say about RM.

        What kind of role did RM have in this movie? Is it worth renting to see him in it? I'll probably rent it regardless, out of curiosity. I'm up for suggestions on other good RM films to rent. I've seen him in Macbeth (isn't he cute as Malcolm?), Night Gallery, Legend of Hell House, It (although I was very young at the time & don't remember it well), the Apes & Fright Night movies---as well as a bunch of stuff on tv. I'm just curious to know what you all might suggest as RM must sees. Let me know.

Pamela        :)

P. S. I did check out the Tales of the Gold Monkey page. It brought back a flood of memories from my childhood (along with the A-Team pages--what can I say, I'm easily entertained?)

Pamela,

I was 15 in 1965, when I became a RM fan. No wonder I felt like I was a fan club of one for years. I had no one to talk to about Roddy. To top it off, my other interest was Bela Lugosi. It's a wonder I had friends at all.

Kyoko

Subject: RE: RE: Airport

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your kind comments ...

>big trip the USA... That's two years away still. Must take a lot of
>planning, eh?
>I'm just a couple hours from Toronto...maybe we could grab lunch somewhere...
>
>-Paul
>crah@infonline.net

>Janeen,
>
>Keep us posted on your travel plans. If you're in Toronto at a time that I
>can get away, I'd love to meet you. I think it's thrilling that we're such
>an international crowd.
>
>I suspected that Mr. Rush would win the Oscar. It had to be a tough role
>to nail down, and it's the sort of thing the Academy loves. I wonder who
>Roddy voted for.
>
>Cheryl

Maybe we can organise an RM / FK meeting in Toronto. Some girls I know are interested in doing the trip with me and are big Forever Knight fans (also Highlander so we need to find someone in Vancouver to show us around!). I expect at this time that we'll be in Toronto about early July in 1999. I'll keep you all up to date with the plans. I should imagine that it won't be until Sept/Oct 1998 before we have anything planned in more detail.

I think that Geoffrey Rush's win was the most popular one for a long time. It seemed that everyone wanted him to win.

Talk to you again soon.

Janeen

Subject: found some stuff for sale

        Remember Sally and I talking about RM doing True Comics as a child?
        Well, I found a fella who is willing to sell his 9 issues for $50. If I can get 8 others of you who want copies, I'll send for them. They'd be $5 per, plus a little more for postage.
        In my opinion, That's a great price for a comic that's 50+ years old. (the price guide lists them for about $5 in good condition, 10-15 in fine, and 15-25 in near mint condition.)

-Paul
crah@infonline.net

Subject: I found it!

Roc and Sally,

Thanks for trying to remember that movie. It nearly drove me insane. I finally found it in "Movies on TV and Videocassette" It was called "What's a Nice Girl Like You...?" and starred Brenda Vaccaro, Jack Warden, Vincent Price and our hero. It was made in 1971, which is probably why I seem to remember sneaking around to watch it late at night when my mother thought I was asleep. No VCRs in those days.

Thanks.

Cheryl

On Sun, 6 Apr 1997, RMGROUP wrote:

> I was 15 in 1965, when I became a RM fan. No wonder I felt like I
> was a fan club of one for years. I had no one to talk to about
> Roddy. To top it off, my other interest was Bela Lugosi. It's a
> wonder I had friends at all.

I'm a Bela fan, too! See, you're not alone.

Dana Brewer

CHERYL wrote:

> For the last few days, I've had a vague memory of a movie flitting
> around in my head. It would have been from the 70's and probably
> made for TV. Roddy played a conman. He kidnapped a woman and was
> supposed to pass her off as an heiress. Does anyone else remember
> this movie?

SALLY replied:

> The only thing that comes to mind *because of the title* is - The
> Million Dollar Face back in 1981, one of those NBC Movie of the
> Week. I didn't see it so I don't know if I'm even close.

Not Million Dollar Face. RM played a don't-blink-or-you'll-miss-him fashion photographer in that film.

Cheryl, you and Paul are really bad. First "Copacabana", now this. I'm supposed to be concentrating on my day-job, you know?

Can't you remember any other detail about the film, like co-stars? The nearest thing I can find is "What's A Nice Girl Like You ... ?" with Brenda Vaccaro, Jack Warden and Vincent Price co-starring. Made in 1971 for TV, it's a comedy about a Bronx girl who poses as a socialite in an elaborate extortion plot.

--Mel

Subject: RE: Circle of Iron/Silent Flute

PAMELA asked:
> What kind of role did RM have in this movie?

I saw this film way back in '79 so I'm not really sure, okay? He played a sort of high priest, in charge of selecting who will search for Christopher Lee's character in a rite-of-passage kind of thing.

Okay, I'm sure about the high priest part. What I'm not sure of is whether, like David Carradine, RM played *another* role in the film, that of the father of a narcissistic kid. Can anyone verify whether RM had a dual role in the film? It's a seaside-village scene; I think the boy's father was shown after Carradine broke the kid's nose.

--Mel

Subject: Bedknobs and Broomsticks

Acoording to some alt.video.laserdisc postings, the new, improved and longer version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks is now available on laserdisc.

--Mel

Subject: RE: found some stuff for sale

Mel!
        Speaking of comics, guess what i found!!! The Quantum leap comic books ... BOTH of the RM ones! I also got a couple other things to stick in an envelope...
        I'd mail it right out to your sister, but.... i've misplaced her address. ...again. I saw it shortly before i moved, but... and so it goes...another day in scatter-brain land!!!        :)
        Can you re-send it to me? thanks! I promise she'll get the package in days after i get your message.

-Paul
crah@infonline.net

        Remember Sally and I talking about RM doing True Comics as a child?
        Well, I found a fella who is willing to sell his 9 issues for $50. If I can get 8 others of you who want copies, I'll send for them. They'd be $5 per, plus a little more for postage.
        In my opinion, That's a great price for a comic that's 50+ years old. (the price guide lists them for about $5 in good condition, 10-15 in fine, and 15-25 in near mint condition.)
-----------------------------
        well, 4 of the copies have been claimed. I still have 5 more to go if someone wants them. They're being sold to me as a lot, so if i can't buy all 9, i won't be getting them....so who else wants one?
        I can stick 1 or 2 in an envelope for $3 postage, and the books themselves are $5 each.

-Paul
crah@infonline.net

MEL wrote:

> PAMELA asked:
> > What kind of role did RM have in this movie?
>
> I saw this film way back in '79 so I'm not really sure, okay? He
> played a sort of high priest, in charge of selecting who will search
> for Christopher Lee's character in a rite-of-passage kind of thing.
>
> Okay, I'm sure about the high priest part. What I'm not sure of is
> whether, like David Carradine, RM played *another* role in the film,
> that of the father of a narcissistic kid. Can anyone verify whether
> RM had a dual role in the film? It's a seaside-village scene; I think
> the boy's father was shown after Carradine broke the kid's nose.

I've seen Circle of Iron many times... even have it on tape somewhere. I don't think RM played a dual role... though I can double check if I can find the tape.

--Roc

>PAMELA asked:
>> What kind of role did RM have in this movie?
pamela, hi my name is tami. i can answer your queston about the fole roddy played in circle of iron. his character's name i white robe. the part he plays is the judge of a martial aret's competition to see who is the wisest to defeat a man named lutan and his book of enlightenment.
who ever wins the competition,he is the one whom roddy chooses to seek out lutan,defeat him and look at the book of enlightenment. that's the only part he has in the movie. i hope that helps you,pamela.
t.j.

At 04:42 PM 4/8/97 -0700, Paul wrote:
>Mel!
>        Speaking of comics, guess what i found!!! The Quantum leap comic books
>... BOTH of the RM ones! I also got a couple other things to stick in >an envelope...

Okay, Paul, which one didn't you tell me about?

...Sally..
Sally Mierop
rm_fan@cyberdrive.net

Subject: RE: RE: Welcome Pamela

Cheryl, you and Paul are really bad. First "Copacabana", now this. I'm supposed to be concentrating on my day-job, you know?
--------------
Us, bad? Never!!!!

Ya know, Barry is supposed to be playing in nearby Cleveland this summer. I heard on the radio that they're billing it as the 'sing-along concert of the summer'. Yeah, right... I can just see 10,000 people sing Copacabana... NOT!!!!!

-Paul
crah@infonline.net

>Hello,
>        I'm new to this list and to the internet as a whole. My name
>is Pamela, I'm 26, just graduated law school (last May) and I'm still
>trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up.

hi pamela, my name is tami. welcome to the rmgroup. im 25, and i would like it very much if we could become friend's. if you ever want to write to just me,my e-mail address is:tami32@juno.com. how many movie's of roddy's do you have? i have just enough to call it a library. i'm a christian {reborn}. i go to church regularly and i read the bible regularly. i live in abilene,tx. ive lived here for six month's,prior to that i lived in plano. but that's another life time. jesus has given me a second chance to live a better life. and i'm living that life through him. i'm not working as yet, but i'm going to fill out an application at jcpenny this week. if they are not hiring,then i'll have to go to tec {texas employment commission} and see if they will help me find a computer job. hope to hear from you soon. your friend,
        tami. :-)

At 04:41 PM 4/8/97 -0700, you wrote:

>PAMELA asked:
>>        What kind of role did RM have in this movie?

Mel replied:
>I saw this film way back in '79 so I'm not really sure, okay? He
>played a sort of high priest, in charge of selecting who will search
>for Christopher Lee's character in a rite-of-passage kind of thing.
>
>Okay, I'm sure about the high priest part. What I'm not sure of is
>whether, like David Carradine, RM played *another* role in the film,
>that of the father of a narcissistic kid. Can anyone verify whether
>RM had a dual role in the film? It's a seaside-village scene; I think
>the boy's father was shown after Carradine broke the kid's nose.

I know who you mean, Mel, but don't think so. It was just on TV locally here about a month ago and it wasn't Roddy who played that role.

Roddy only appeared in the beginning of the movie as the high priest and that was all. Right Dana?

...Sally..
Sally Mierop
rm_fan@cyberdrive.net

this is for all those who did not know what the storyline for the circle of iron was:
it's a martial-arts tale that mixes philosophy and high action in a young mans search for truth.
cast:
death-david caradine
cord-jeff cooper
tara-erica creer
zetan-christopher lee
white robe-our man of the hour
man in oil- eli wallich
morthand-anthony de longis
monkey boy-jeremy kaplan
black giant-earl maynard
his wife-zipora peled
hope this helps a bit.
tami. :-)

Subject: Jungle Book 2

According to the Internet Movie Database, the release date for Jungle Book 2 is May 2, 1997.

--Mel

On Wed, 9 Apr 1997, S Mierop wrote:

> I know who you mean, Mel, but don't think so. It was just on TV locally
> here about a month ago and it wasn't Roddy who played that role.
>
> Roddy only appeared in the beginning of the movie as the high priest and
> that was all. Right Dana?

Yes, Roddy only had a tiny part in that movie - as the high priest.

Dana Brewer
dana@nav.cc.tx.us        danatbird@aol.com

>I had a great time yesterday visiting with Paul Worley and his wife
>Helen while they were here in Toronto . They're both lovely people.

hi paul,my name is tami,and i was wondering, who is paul worley?

On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, PAUL wrote:

>        well, 4 of the copies have been claimed. I still have 5 more to go
> if someone wants them. They're being sold to me as a lot, so if i can't
> buy all 9, i won't be getting them....so who else wants one?
>        I can stick 1 or 2 in an envelope for $3 postage, and the books
> themselves are $5 each.

Count me in, Paul

Dana Brewer
dana@nav.cc.tx.us        danatbird@aol.com

Subject: Barry Manilow

Hi,

Paul, I know that you will be thrilled to hear this...,

I just heard that Barry Manilow will be at appearing at Penn State this July. The tickets go on sale this Saturday morning at 8:00A.M. I have my dialling finger in training as we speak. If he is this close and I don't get to see him I WILL KILL MYSELF!!!

You can stop barfing now, Paul.

Cheryl

Subject: New release of Vertigo

Just thought that this may interest some of you, if you haven't heard yet:

The other day I finally got around to watching the newly restored version of Hitchcock's Vertigo (this movie's already got a standing in my top three list for movies of all time!) which includes the original theatrical trailer, the film itself, and a twenty minute documentary (aprox. 20 anyway) on the restoration and making of the film.

Alright here it comes: THE DOCUMENTARY IS NARRATED BY RM!!!!

Ok, so maybe it's not as exciting as other discoveries, especially if news of this has already gotten out, but ,what the heh, I thought I'd show that yes I'm still around for those of you who may of forgotten I exist.

Still kicking about,
Brian
bstewart@mnsi.net

P.S. I finally got a chance to see Lord Love a Duck. Phew, that was one trippy movie, but of course RM was impeccable. The only downside to the whole film for me was that I thought that 'sweater' scene in the store was intolerably long!

Subject: Sally's new e address

Hi everyone,

I have changed my e-mail once again over here and hope it will be the last time.

It is now:        rm_fan@ameritech.net

...Sally..
Sally Mierop
rm_fan@ameritech.net

On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, PAUL wrote:

> Ya know, Barry is supposed to be playing in nearby Cleveland this summer.
> I heard on the radio that they're billing it as the 'sing-along concert
> of the summer'. Yeah, right... I can just see 10,000 people sing Copacabana... NOT!!!!!

At our Roddy convention, I think we should all join together in a chorus of Copacabana - just for Paul's benefit! :-)

Subject: RE: Barry Manilow

I just heard that Barry Manilow will be at appearing at Penn State this July. The tickets go on sale this Saturday morning at 8:00A.M. I have my dialling finger in training as we speak. If he is this close and I don't get to see him I WILL KILL MYSELF!!!
--------------
He's coming to Cleveland this summer too. Too bad you can't come over this way to see him. Not that i'd go to the concert with you, but we could do lunch or something....

You can stop barfing now, Paul.
--------------
ROFL!!!!!! :)        The pink stuff does wonders!!!!

-Paul
crah@infonline.net

Subject: RE: Re: Paul Worley's visit

hi paul,my name is tami,and i was wondering, who is paul worley?
-----
Hi Tami! I hope i can enlighten you a little on this Paul Worley fella! Would you believe he's scum of the Earth? No, well how about the greatest thing that ever walked upright (after RM, of course). Still not buying it? Well then... I guess you'd just have to classify him as a normal guy, just like everyone else.        :)

To be a bit more specific, he's 32 yrs old, (got 33 coming in just 3 weeks!) married, and having the time of his life running all over the US trying to meet people. In the last 4 years, he's been to Texas, LA, Chicago, Atlanta 3x, Baltimore, Toronto 2x, Cleveland 3x, and Pittsburgh too many time to count! That's a lot of traveling, isn't it?
Perhaps one day he'll show up on your doorstep begging for dinner...Right Sally?        :)

-Paul
crah@infonline.net

Subject: RE: Jungle Book 2

According to the Internet Movie Database, the release date for Jungle Book 2 is May 2, 1997.
----
The day after my birthday!!!! What a present!!! Thanks for the info Mel!!

-Paul
crah@infonline.net

Subject: Hollywood for Children Fund

Presenting the highlights of http://www.crl.com/~eighth/ahepburn/ :

        Roddy McDowell is in the advisory board of The Audrey Hepburn Hollywood for Children (HFC) Fund.

        The HFC has scheduled a film fest and other activities starting next week. On April 14, Monday, at 9pm, there will be a Premiere Party and Hall of Fame Award Ceremony at the Empire State Building. Awards will go to Shirley Temple and Roddy McDowell.

        On April 16, Wednesday, at Sony Theatre 3, is scheduled a showing of the 1948 "Macbeth". Roddy Macdowall invited to introduce.

--Mel

Subject: RE: Re: Found some stuff for sale

Okay, Paul, which one didn't you tell me about?
---
you know about issue #8, right? The 2nd one was the Special Edition #1. On the cover, Sam is reading QL #1! The RM pics are in the back...more details of when "Al" got his star on the Walk of Fame.

-Paul
crah@infonline.net

Count me in, Paul
---
Just one copy, right? That's cool... I still nedd to get the other 3 spoken for before i can buy them and ship them all out.

-Paul
crah@infonline.net

Subject: RE: new release of Vertigo

At 09:27 AM 4/13/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Just thought that this may interest some of you, if you haven't heard yet:

No, we haven't.

>The other day I finally got around to watching the newly restored version of
>Hitchcock's Vertigo (this movie's already got a standing in my top three
>list for movies of all time!) which includes the original theatrical
>trailer, the film itself, and a twenty minute documentary (aprox. 20 anyway)
>on the restoration and making of the film.

I assume, Brian, that this was the video version that just was released?

>Alright here it comes: THE DOCUMENTARY IS NARRATED BY RM!!!!

Hey! Now was it just his voice or was there footage of RM too?

>Ok, so maybe it's not as exciting as other discoveries, especially if news
>of this has already gotten out, but ,what the heh, I thought I'd show that
>yes I'm still around for those of you who may of forgotten I exist.

Nice to hear from you again. See, there is another guy out there someplace.

>Still kicking about,
>Brian
>bstewart@mnsi.net
>
>P.S. I finally got a chance to see Lord Love a Duck. Phew, that was one
>trippy movie, but of course RM was impeccable. The only downside to the
>whole film for me was that I thought that 'sweater' scene in the store was
>intolerably long!

Yes, it is rather long and silly (purple passion, periwinkle pink, oh boy).

...Sally..
Sally Mierop
rm_fan@ameritech.net

Subject: RE: RE: Barry Manilow

I agree with Dana. When we have our dinner with Roddy, I think we all should join hands around the table and sing Copacabana in honor of Paul.
"Her name was Lola. She was a showgirl..."

In case you're wondering, I did get tickets to see Barry in July. Unwilling to trust the phone company, I went and waited in line. I got excellent floor seats, so I won't have to kill myself.

I'm dragging along my husband, mother and sister-in-law. So thank your lucky stars that your not related to me, Paul!

Now, if I could only get tickets to see Roddy doing anything..., (He could just read the phonebook for half an hour. I wouldn't mind.)

Cheryl

On Sun, 13 Apr 1997, RMGROUP wrote:

> Count me in, Paul
> ---
> Just one copy, right? That's cool... I still nedd to get the other 3
> spoken for before i can buy them and ship them all out.

Yeah, just one copy. Ok, people, speak up! :-)

Dana Brewer
dana@nav.cc.tx.us        danatbird@aol.com

Will Roddy be in NYC all this week? I'm going to be there the 16th - 20th. He's receiving an award on my birthday, which is tomorrow, April 14. I'll be at the Empire State Building one day this week. Too bad I won't be there tomorrow.
This may sound like a dumb question, but where is Sony Theatre 3, Mel?

And by the way, happy birthday in three weeks, Paul!!!

--Janet

> Count me in, Paul
> ---
> Just one copy, right? That's cool... I still nedd to get the other 3
>spoken for before i can buy them and ship them all out.

Yeah, just one copy. Ok, people, speak up! :-)
--------
Don't worry Dana, Beth took the last of the offerings. That's all of them. Now I just need you to send me the $$ for you copy. Still got my address?
Paul Worley
600 McClure Ave
Sharon, PA 16146

For one copy, it's $8.50. ok?

-Paul
crah@infonline.net

Hey Paul and all --
If it's not too late, I'll go in for one copy, as well. Still time?
Thanks,
--Nancy
  strocco@moran.com

Subject: RE: Hollywood for Children Fund

Janet wrote:
>Will Roddy be in NYC all this week? I'm going to be there the 16th -
>20th. He's receiving an award on my birthday, which is tomorrow,
>April 14. I'll be at the Empire State Building one day this week.
>Too bad I won't be there tomorrow.

Today is tomorrow so        HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JANET!!!

I don't have any idea if he'll be there all week, anything's possible. Maybe he'll be waiting for you up on the Empire State Building. :-)

>This may sound like a dumb question, but where is Sony Theatre 3, Mel?

Yeah, Mel, where is the Sony Theatre 3? Don't you know, don't be shy, speak up!

Ah, Janet, Mel lives in the Philippines, don't think she has ever been to NYC but I could be wrong. ;-)

I'm sure any cab driver would know where the Sony Theatres are. I know they are in the area that they just refurbished recently. I think even the tourist information center could help you.

Have a wonderful time and don't forget to mention the website if you run into RM.

...Sally..
Sally Mierop
rm_fan@ameritech.net

Subject: RE: RE: RE: Barry Manilow

I agree with Dana. When we have our dinner with Roddy, I think we all should join hands around the table and sing Copacabana in honor of Paul.
"Her name was Lola. She was a showgirl..."

I'm dragging along my husband, mother and sister-in-law. So thank your lucky stars that your not related to me, Paul!
-----
Gee Cheryl, you're too kind! :) Next thing you know, at the concerts, they'll pass out Big Macs while Barry does his commercial song set!! I wonder how much pink stuff I could buy with my meager paychecks?

-Paul
crah@infonline.net

JANET asked:

> He's receiving an award on my birthday, which is tomorrow,
> April 14. I'll be at the Empire State Building one day this week.

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you!
Happy birthday, hap-py birth-daayyyy
Happy birthday to you!

> This may sound like a dumb question, but where is Sony Theatre 3,
> Mel?

Whoa! Don't ask *me*, I live on the other side of the Pacific. I've never been anywhere but Hongkong, Guangzhou and bad ole Manila.

--Mel

Cheryl wrote:
>Now, if I could only get tickets to see Roddy doing anything..., (He
>could just read the phonebook for half an hour. I wouldn't mind.)

Quick, Cheryl, run over to NYC and see Roddy at Sony Theatre 3 or perhaps wait til the 16th-20th to meet Janet at the Empire State Building instead. Maybe you'll both get *lucky* and see Roddy there.

...Sally..
Sally Mierop
rm_fan@ameritech.net

Will Roddy be in NYC all this week? I'm going to be there the 16th - 20th. He's receiving an award on my birthday, which is tomorrow, April 14. I'll be at the Empire State Building one day this week.
-----
Happy Birthday to You Janet!! So, you're 19 again? ;)

And by the way, happy birthday in three weeks, Paul!!!
---
Hey, let's not push me off the 'old' cart just yet, ok? gimme the 3 weeks i got coming to me! :)
Thanks!

-Paul
crah@infonline.net

SALLY wrote:

>I assume, Brian, that this was the video version that just was released?

Yep...orange box cover. There has been a previous release in a purple box, but there's no RM and the picture/sound quality's no where near as good.

>Hey! Now was it just his voice or was there footage of RM too?

Sadly no, but I must say his voice has to be the perfect accent to the feel of this haunting movie.

Yours,
Brian Stewart
bstewart@mnsi.net

> Don't worry Dana, Beth took the last of the offerings. That's all of
> them. Now I just need you to send me the $$ for you copy.
> For one copy, it's $8.50. ok?

Ok - in the mail.

Dana Brewer
dana@nav.cc.tx.us

If it's not too late, I'll go in for one copy, as well. Still time?
  strocco@moran.com
----
Well Nancy, I suppose I REALLY only need one issue. The other one is yours. Just send me $8.50 (the book is $5.50 and postage should run about $3) My address is:
Paul Worley
600 McClure Ave
Sharon, PA 16146

Oh, and try to get the $$ here as fast as you can. I want to try to get these books out to everyone as fast as i can. Thanks!

-Paul
crah@infonline.net

Subject: Bookworm website

You might like to visit http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Hills/7537/bokwrm.htm. Lots of pictures in this one, about RM's guest appearance in the 1966 Batman series.

--Mel

Subject: The Musgrave Report, April 1997

   _    _   __   __ _______ ______  ______   _______ __    __ ______
  / \  / \ |  | |  |     __|   ___||    _  \|   _   |  \  /  / _____|
 /   \/   \|  |_|  |__     |  |_---|   |_) /|   _   |\  \/  /| ____|
/___/\/\___\\_____/|_______|____   |___|\___\__| |__| \ __ / |______|
          ______            ____|_ |         ________
 ______  | _____|_______  /   _   \ ______  |__    __|
|    _  \| ____||   _   \|   (_)   |    _  \   |  |
|   |_) /|______|  |_)   |\_______/|   |_) /   |__|
|___|\___\      |    ___/          |___|\___\
                |___|

APRIL 18, 1997

 ____   ___  ____  _____ _   _
|    \ / _ \|  _ \| ___ | | | |
| | | | |_| | | | | ____| |_| |
|_|_|_|\___/|_| |_|_____)\__  |
                        (____/

A short while ago, I let everyone know that we might be in danger of losing the RM website if cash could not be raised to support switching to a new and better domain/server.

Today, I am happy to report that we will NOT be losing the website! Largely thanks to those members who responded with donations or promises of donations which enabled me to get a loan to save what we've all (more or less) worked on and enjoyed.

Before I go any further, the new URL for the Tribute to Roddy McDowall website is:

http://www.smithway.org/rm

I would also like to extend special THANK YOUs to those people whose kindess and generosity enabled this.

        Laura Kramer
        Mel Santos
        Janeen Schouten
        Dana Brewer
        Tami Joeris
        Paul Worley
        Elizabeth Proctor
        Lynne Ackerman

Without the help of these people, there wouldn't be anymore RM website... and *because* of them, the site now has a permanent home with plenty of room to grow.

On the other hand, just because this crisis is over doesn't mean that the RM website is forever free of financial concerns. The unlimited storage now available for the site and the list members has a price... it going to cost $25 a month in webspace rental fees (which have to be paid three months at a time) to maintain the site. So if any of you should feel the overwhelming urge to contribute to the cause at a later date I certainly encourage you to do so.

If you *do* intend to lend financial assistance, please send your check, money order, bank draft, or whatever to:

        The Musgrave Foundation
        c/o 11782 Gary Street
        Garden Grove, California 92840

If you feel safe sending cash, go ahead and do so... but anything that has to go through the bank first should be made out to either myself (Roxanne L. Smith) or to Bret R Culpepper (my roommate, the one who loaned me the money to save the site immediately).

Anyone who wants a receipt for their contribution should make sure to let me know (this includes those of you who have already sent in your money). You can reach me at my new e-mail address of

        roc@smithway.org

  ___  ____   _____   ____  _____
 /___)|  _ \ (____ | / ___)| ___ |
|___ || |_| |/ ___ |( (___ | ____|
(___/ |  __/ \_____| \____)|_____)
      |_|

In addition to having a permanent and expandable home for the RM website, if any list member wants to have their own homepage or other personal website -- please let me know. I've made a minimum of 5 megabytes available for each current contributor, but smaller sites/pages can be set up for any, each, and all list members.

Anyone interested in this should contact me at the e-mail address list above.

                                             _
                                        _   (_)
   ____  ___  ____  _   _ _____ ____  _| |_  _  ___  ____
  / ___)/ _ \|  _ \| | | | ___ |  _ \(_   _)| |/ _ \|  _ \
 ( (___| |_| | | | |\ V /| ____| | | | | |_ | | |_| | | | |
  \____)\___/|_| |_| \_/ |_____|_| |_|  \__)|_|\___/|_| |_|

        GETTING TO KNOW ONE ANOTHER IN REAL-TIME

As I'm sure everyone has noticed, we all seem to have been having quite a bit of fun lately bantering around the topic of having a convention for all of us Roddy McDowall fans. Personally, I know that even if RM weren't involved, I'd love to attend a convention where we could get to know one another in person.

However, since RMGROUP members span at least three countries and two continents it seems highly unlikely that a face-to-face will ever happen. Just because we can't all meet in the flesh, though, doesn't mean that we can't take our e-mail friendship one step farther and hold our convention online.

Many times in previous messages, I have encouraged folks to download and install the program PowWow because it really is the next best thing to sitting down in a room together and having a pleasant chat. PowWow is very easy to install, *very* easy to use, works with Windows 3.x and 95, and it doesn't matter what kind of Internet access account you have because all PowWow needs to function is an e-mail address.

Unless my information is out-of-date (which it could very well be), the following list members already have PowWow on their systems:

        Sally Mierop
        Roxanne Smith
        Nancy Babb
        Mel Santos
        Paul Worley
        Kris Birch

... so if you doubt what I have to say about how fun PowWow can be, e-mail some of these folks and ask them yourselves (you can find the e-mail addresses of all list members at http://www.smithway.org/clan/contact.html

And if you have any questions about installing, configuring, or operating the program, please feel free to e-mail me at kuryakin@earthlink.net and I will walk you through the process.

        _                 _
  ___  | |_  ___    ____ (_)_____  ___
 /___)(_  _)/  _ \ / ___)| | ___ |/___)
|___ |  | |_| |_| | |    | | ____|___ |
(___/    \__)\___/|_|    |_|_____)___/

I just want to remind everyone that if you've had a personal encounter with RM, great or small, and you want to/don't mind sharing it with us and the rest of the world... write up your story and send it to

        roc@smithway.org

and we will add the appropriate HTML coding and upload it to the personal encounters section of the website.

Also, if you have any photos or articles that you would like to have scanned and see added to the site, you can send them to:

        The Musgrave Foundation
        c/o 14321 Cavell Place
        Baldwin Park, California 91706-2526

Please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope to ensure the prompt and safe return of your materials.

All items sent in to be scanned will be handled with the utmost care and shown to the owner before being uploaded to the web.

   ____      ___      _____
  / ___)    / _ \    (____ |
 ( (___  _ | |_| | _ / ___ | _
  \____)(_) \___/ (_)\_____|(_)

        CHANGE OF ADDRESS

For those of you who find changing web addresses to be confusing and difficult to navigate, here is a list of where the primary files relating to the Musgrave Foundation and the RM Tribute website can now be found:

---------------------
Tribute pages:
---------------------

WELCOME
        http://www.smithway.org/rm/roddy.html

TRIBUTE MAIN
        http://www.smithway.org/rm/roddy1.html

TRIBUTE, page 2
        http://www.smithway.org/rm/roddy3.html

REPRINTED ARTICLES
        http://www.smithway.org/rm/articles.html

CAREER/BIO
        http://www.smithway.org/rm/career_bio.html

FILMOGRAPHY
        http://www.smithway.org/rm/career/hisfilm.html

ENCOUNTERS
        http://www.smithway.org/rm/orig/encounters.html

REVIEWS
        http://www.smithway.org/rm/reviews.html

SCREEN CAPTURES
        http://www.smithway.org/rm/captures/screens.html

IMAGE SCANS
        http://www.smithway.org/rm/scans/thumbs1.html

SOUND FILES
        http://www.smithway.org/rm/sounds/ghindex.html

MISC.
        http://www.smithway.org/rm/other/index.html

FUNSTUFF
        http://www.smithway.org/rm/funstuff.html

PRAISES
        http://www.smithway.org/rm/praises.htm

LINKS
        http://www.smithway.org/rm/links.html

SITE HISTORY
        http://www.smithway.org/clan/history.txt

Well, I guess that about wraps it up. Until next time!

--Roc

Subject: any trekkers here?

Any Trekkers in this group? I'm in New Orleans this week at a Star Trek convention. I got to meet Brent Spiner yesterday! More later if anyone is interested.

Subject: RE: any Trekkers here?

Any Trekkers in this group? I'm in New Orleans this week at a Star Trek convention. I got to meet Brent Spiner yesterday! More later if anyone is interested.
----
Gee Mel, Dana wants to know if any of us are Trekkers. Do you think she might have been refering to us Trekkies?        :)

-Paul
crah@infonline.net

DANA asked:
>Any Trekkers in this group? I'm in New Orleans this week at a Star Trek
>convention. I got to meet Brent Spiner yesterday! More later if anyone
>is interested.
i'm a trekker, dana. what was brent wearing, and did he happen to mention another star trek movie in the work's? please, tell me all. {brent is my favorite, he is so sexy!!!}
your friend,
        tami.

> Any Trekkers in this group? I'm in New Orleans this week at a Star
> Trek convention. I got to meet Brent Spiner yesterday! More later
> if anyone is interested.

Me, of course! And Data is one of my favorite characters.
--Mel

At 07:31 AM 4/20/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Any Trekkers in this group? I'm in New Orleans this week at a Star Trek
>convention. I got to meet Brent Spiner yesterday! More later if anyone
>is interested.

WAAAAHHHHH! I adore Brent Spiner! Have you ever heard him sing? He does a forties-type of thing that is wonderful... Pictures?

--Beth

Hi Dana, in relation to your comment ...

>Any Trekkers in this group? I'm in New Orleans this week at a Star Trek
>convention. I got to meet Brent Spiner yesterday! More later if anyone
>is interested.

Yes, please I'd love to hear more and ... yes, I'm a Trekkie and would love to hear about your experience/s. Being in Australia means that Cons get very expensive and we can't afford the big guests (first class return airfares for two to Oz can be about $10,000 or more).

Janeen

Hey Guys....I'm back from NYC, and my chances of running into RM up there were about like my chances of winning the lottery.........1 in 14 million!!!

For you Barry Manilow fans.......he's performing there this month. Saw his picture on the marquis. I thought about you Copacabana people when I saw that.

>>Janet

No chance of seeing Roddy in NYC...not with all those people; however, I did find myself looking for his face in the crowd (not that he would be out on the streets though). I watched people getting out of limos...ah, but no Roddy.

Guess I'll just have to wait for that dinner, eh?

>>Janet

Subject: RM to host new show?

Hi Gang!

I got the following in a message from Nancy today (her home net access is acting up right now so she asked me remove her from the list temporarily)...

> Well, this has probably been newsy amongst the Musgravites, but Patty has
> told me that either TCM or AMC is going to be running a new show hosted by
> Our Roddy. Cool! :)

Has anyone else heard anything about this?

--Roc

Subject: true comics

to everyone who has sent in the money for the RM true comics, thanks.
For those of you who still haven't, please do so soon.
The comics have been ordered and are on the way.
Thanks!
-Paul
crah@infonline.net

Subject: Brent

I'm working on a con report. But right now I have the photos from the con on my web page.

http://www.nav.cc.tx.us/staff_pages/dana/dana.html

Dana Brewer
dana@nav.cc.tx.us

Subject: Trekkers

As I understand it Paul, the difference between trekkers and trekkies is this: the trekkers are the serious die-hard Star Trek fans. Trekkies are those with a less serious interest in the program. I got this information from a friend who is a fan. Personally, they lost me after the days of Capt. Kirk and Mr. Spock.

Come to think of it, weren't some of the same minds responsible for Star Trek also behind a little gem from the late 70's called the Fantastic Journey? I loved that show!! Roddy was fantastic in it himself.

Cheryl

Subject: RE: true comics

At 07:20 AM 4/23/97 -0700, PAUL wrote:
>to everyone who has sent in the money for the RM true comics, thanks.
>For those of you who still haven't, please do so soon.
>The comics have been ordered and are on the way.
>Thanks!

Check in the mail! Let's hope that the Postal Service treats this one better.

--Beth

Subject: RE: Trekkers

> As I understand it Paul, the difference between trekkers and trekkies is
> this: the trekkers are the serious die-hard Star Trek fans. Trekkies are
> those with a less serious interest in the program. I got this information
> from a friend who is a fan.

and here i thought the difference was an age factor. those old enuf to remember first runs of the original series were the trekkies, and the younger folk were the trekkers.

oh well, I guess we'll never know for sure...even we trekkies can't get it straight! :)

-Paul
crah@infonline.net

Subject: RM on April 13

Hi everybody,

I received last week's Hollywood Reporter, April 15 issue and saw under Robert Osborne's Rambling Reporter column reporting on New York -

...This past Sunday, John Springer continued his "Forgotten Films to Remember" series at the Players with a screening of George Axelrod's 1966 "Lord Love A Duck," followed by a Q&A session with Roddy McDowall...
So now we know he definitely was in New York that week, at least, for a few days.

Too bad we didn't get a heads up for someone to attend. :-(

...Sally..

Subject: Audrey Hepburn HFC Fund

Does anyone know if Roddy is attending any or all of this fund's activities, since he's on the advisory board?

They're having a fundraiser here in a few days, and they've mentioned a whole bunch of designers who are attending, but Roddy's name isn't in the ad. However, I just wondered whether he might show up or not. In other words, is it worth my while to go to the hotel where it's going to be held, just on the off chance that Roddy might be there?

Lynne Ackerman
gnbv32c@prodigy.com (preferred address) or be028@torfree.net

Hello all,

        I'm also a Star Trek fan. DS9 is currently my favorite, although I watch them all when given the opportunity.

        I've not heard anything re: RM hosting a show, but I'm looking forward to finding out more about this!!!

        Pamela
        pj11@ix.netcom.com

Subject: Re: Lord Love A Duck

On Mon, 28 Apr 1997 09:18:50 -0400
Billy Sinclair wrote:

> I finally found Roddy's great movie at a video store..released by
> MGM...but the print was really terrible...gray & muddy...and badly
> framed so that you can see the microphones dangling down in many scenes.
> Is this a ripoff or pirated print? Is there a good one available? (I
> would also like to find Confirm or Deny, which he made with Don Ameche
> during WWII, and the Pied Piper, ditto with Monty Wooley)
>
> Billy Sinclair demo4@idt.net

Hi Billy!

Sad to say, this probably isn't a ripoff print. The two copies of LLAD I have that I made from television broadcasts have multiple incidences of dangling boom mikes.... what can I say, they just didn't have a very good continuity director for that film. Gray and muddy is probably due to the age of the master print (which, sadly, has not been restored) and possibly incompatibility with your VCR (depending on age and type of machine). Since there hasn't been much demand for LLAD until very recently, I was shocked that they even released the tape in the first place.... but not surprised that as little money as possible went into the production. I will ask around our RM mailing list and see if anyone has anything else to add on the subject (and/or if anyone there can help you out with tapes of Confirm or Deny and The Pied Piper).

--Roc

RM Tribute: Frames | RM Tribute: No Frames | Contact Us | Musgrave Foundation