RMGROUP mail
May 1997

Subject: Re: Lord Love A Duck
On Mon, 28 Apr 1997 09:18:50 -0400
Billy Sinclair wrote:

> I finally found Roddy's great movie at a video store..released by
> MGM...but the print was really terrible...gray & muddy...and badly
> framed so that you can see the microphones dangling down in many scenes.
[SNIP]
Hey Roc,

          My copy also has the booms in a few scenes, I always kinda' looked on it as just part of the charm of the movie. You talked about the increased demand for Lord Love A Duck, hell, that's probably from all of us asking in stores across the country if anyone carries LLAD...
          Until we can confirm otherwise... I think we should put a check mark on our side of the board under "credited with reviving a Roddy McDowall film"...
(just kidding...)

Thank you,

E. Kris Birch
kbirch@ccac.edu

Subject: RM on April 13

Ah, Sally...had I known exactly where RM would be in New York I would've looked him up when I was there that week. Another opportunity missed.......but it *is* kind of exciting (in a wierd sort of way, I guess) knowing he was in the same city at the same time.

By the way, isn't it about time for Paul's birthday? HAPPY BIRTHDAY, PAUL! Wherever you are!

qzuz21d@prodigy.com

Subject: RE: Trekkers

At 11:15 AM 4/30/97 -0700, you wrote:

>> As I understand it Paul, the difference between trekkers and trekkies is
>> this: the trekkers are the serious die-hard Star Trek fans. Trekkies are
>> those with a less serious interest in the program. I got this information
>> from a friend who is a fan.
>
>and here i thought the difference was an age factor. those old enuf
>to remember first runs of the original series were the trekkies, and
>the younger folk were the trekkers.
>
>oh well, I guess we'll never know for sure...even we trekkies can't
>get it straight! :)

Sorry, Paul-it's the other way around...If you were like me and stayed up way late on friday nights (3rd season, 10pm) in 1968, then you are a Trekker. If you got into the series via reruns, you are a Trekkie... That's what the guys at the Cons I've been to are holding to.

Subject: Poseidon Adventure

   THURSDAY, MAY 29
           + HOLLYWOOD - American Film Institute classic film series honors director RONALD NEAME with and screening of his 1972 action-adventure movie "The Poseidon Adventure." Guests to include cast members RODDY MCDOWALL and RED BUTTONS.

Dana Brewer
dana@nav.cc.tx.us

Subject: Jungle Book 2

Did anybody else catch CNN Showbiz on May 6? RM was on, briefly, in the For Your Kids portion of the program. He spoke about "The Second Jungle Book" -- some clips from the movie were shown plus a brief shot of RM while being interviewed.

--Mel

Subject: RE: RM on April 13

> By the way, isn't it about time for Paul's birthday? HAPPY BIRTHDAY,
> PAUL! Wherever you are!

Thanks Janet!! and to everyone who gave me these good wishes.
-Paul Worley
crah@infonline.net

Subject: RE: any trekkers here?

DANA wrote:
>Any Trekkers in this group? I'm in New Orleans this week at a Star Trek
>convention. I got to meet Brent Spiner yesterday! More later if anyone
>is interested.

My computer has been down, so I just received my e-mail. I love Brent. Did he say what project (movie, etc.) he is doing now?

Pam

Subject: RM birthday card

Hello All!

Sally and Mel have been reminding me that RM's birthday is coming up in a few months, and Sally got a card for everyone on the list to sign and then, eventually, send to him. In order to do this, however, I need to collect the mailing addresses of everyone interested in signing the birthday card.

Rather than having everyone swapping addresses all over the place, I will tell, say, Mel to send the card to Nancy and provide her with Nancy's address. Then, after she signs it, I will give Nancy Paul's address, and so on down the line.

In any event, if you're interested in signing a group birthday card for RM, please send your mailing address to roc@smithway.org

Thanks.

--Roc

On Thu, 08 May 1997 05:10:02 -0700 The Musgrave Foundation writes:

>> By the way, isn't it about time for Paul's birthday? HAPPY BIRTHDAY,
>> PAUL! Wherever you are!

happy birthday paul. when is your birthday? mine is next wednesday. i'll be 26. did the jungle book 2 come out where you live on the 2nd of may? it did not come out here on the 2nd i live in abilene tx. if so did you see it and how was it? what was roddy's part? like i need to ask. well happy birthday again and may the lord be with you on your special day.

your friend,
                     tami.

Subject: Jungle Book 2 Tristar website

Hi gang,

If you have Internet access you can see what the new movie of RM's is about and a few photos too. There is a picture of RM in his character role (King Murphy). It's him even if it doesn't really look like it.

TEXT version for those that don't:

          The animated classic comes to life in Rudyard Kipling's THE SECOND JUNGLE BOOK: MOWGLI & BALOO, a new, live-action, feature-length "prequel" to other films based on his classic story. In this exciting new production set in the 1890's, we find the ten-year-old wild boy, Mowgli (Jamie Williams), living in the jungles of India where he has been raised by his wildlife family -- his brother, Grey Wolf, his teacher and friend, Baloo the bear and his protector, Bagheera, a black panther.

          The Multimedia area is your gateway to great action footage from the film, as well as awesome photos and audio clips. How did this film evolve from an animated classic to a live action feature? Check out our Behind the Scenes area for the details. Learn about the ten-year-old wild boy, Mowgli (Jamie Williams) and get the scoop on the rest of the talent on the Cast page. Where and when is the movie playing? Visit Tickets & Showtimes and simply enter your zip code to find out.

BEHIND THE SCENES -

          THE SECOND JUNGLE BOOK: MOWGLI AND BALOO was filmed during the monsoon season (August and September) of 1996 in the jungles of Sri Lanka. Most of the film was shot on the Kandy mountain, which was also the setting for scenes from THE BRIDGE OVER THE RIVER KWAI and INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM. The lost city, where the Bandars keep King Murphy captive, was a set built on a cricket field in Sri Lanka.

          More than 30 animals, hand-picked from Brian McMillan's Animal Rentals Unlimited in Los Angeles, traveled by plane to Sri Lanka where they were trucked to a compound in Kandy. They arrived one month prior to filming in order to climatize and rehearse. Other animals, such as trained elephants were already living in Sri Lanka. More than 15 animal trainers were hired to work on the set of THE SECOND JUNGLE BOOK.

          Jamie Williams, who plays Mowgli, arrived on set four weeks early in order to develop a relationship with the animals and to allow them time to become comfortable working with him. While casting the role of Mowgli, all finalists were given a final screen test with some animals to ensure they would be able to interact well with them. Williams was fantastic with the animals, but working with them was never easy. "Our hardest task was climatizing this small, vulnerable boy with the animals," said director Duncan McLachlan. "But much of the magic of the movie comes from the closeness of this little boy with these large, strong animals."

          McLachlan, an expert in directing animals, said that one of the biggest hurdles was directing several animals and people in one shot. "It's a challenge when you're shouting instructions to your actor and you have three trainers trying to get the animals to take instructions at the same time," he said. "It's also a catch-22, because the animals' best take is usually the first, when it's still new and exciting, while the actors and the crew get better after several takes."

...Sally..
Sally Mierop
rm_fan@ameritech.net

Subject: Jungle Book 2 - Part II

According to the Los Angeles Daily News, May 4th 1997, the release date is May 16.

   Rudyard Kipling's The Second Jungle Book, Mowgli and Baloo The
   title says enough, doesn't it? Live action, with animals and Roddy
   McDowall, too. (TriStar)

--Mel

Subject: Jungle Book 2 - Reply

Where does Roddy McDowall live? Excuse my ignorance, but coming from London I am not in the know.

Thanks.

Mo

ROC HERE...

             You know, I think I may have forgotten to mention that we have another new member here. That's her, up there... Her name is Maureen... Everyone say hello.... Aww, you know the drill.

:->

--Roc

The Musgrave Foundation wrote:

> My computer has been down, so I just received
> my e-mail. I love Brent. Did he say what project (movie, etc.) he is
> doing now?

Yep, he'll be doing a play on Broadway from June through November - 1776. He plays John Adams

Dana Brewer
dana@nav.cc.tx.us

Subject: Greetings Mo!

Hello new RMGROUP member,

You're from London too? If Roc didn't tell you, we have another member there by the name of Mark Hockley.

Welcome to our little family. Some are more talkative than others but they are out there listening. :-)

...Sally..
Sally Mierop
rm_fan@ameritech.net

> > My computer has been down, so I just received
> > my e-mail. I love Brent. Did he say what project (movie, etc.) he is
> > doing now?

He's appearing in Out to Sea, a comedy starring Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau. Lemmon and Matthau masquerade as dance hosts in order to get a free cruise, and Brent plays their nemesis, the cruise director. Gavin MacLeod and the rest of the Love Boat gang are also on board. Just kidding. It's the rest of the Enterprise crew that's on board. Just kidding again (but wouldn't you like to see The Sunspots?). Tentative release date is July 2.

--Mel

Subject: RE: Greetings Mo!

RMGROUP's SALLY wrote:

>You're from London too? If Roc didn't tell you, we have another member there
>by the name of Mark Hockley.

Actually, there seems to be some sort of problem with Mark's e-mail address. I just got a note the other day from a Mark HALSEY, whose e-mail address is markh@centurion.com -- and he was saying "Stop sending me this mail, I have no idea who you people are and I didn't ask to be on any mailing list!" I thought this was odd, since Hockley's e-address is centurionE.com (an extra e)... I have no idea why Halsey has been getting our mail, but I removed the entry for whoever it is from the recipient list.

Just, you know, FYI....

--Roc

Hello Maureen......welcome! I believe Roddy is from your hometown...London.
>>Janet

Subject: Hi Mo!

Welcome to the group. I'm Matt, an old friend of Roc's. I don't post much, but I do read everything and I am interested in what's going on.

A friend of mine just came back from a two-week trip to London, says he had a great time.

In answer to your question...hey, Roc, does RM still live on Laurel Canyon?

Matthew G. Mitchell
cloister@earthlink.net

Subject: Hi, Maureen!

Hi, Maureen! Welcome to the list. Nice to have you here!

Lynne
gnbv32c@prodigy.com (preferred address) or lynnea@better.net

Subject: RM reading in LA library

Hi,

Saw this in the LA Times electronic newspaper. Keep reading RM is at the bottom.

...Sally..

Saturday, May 10, 1997

Revival of Recitation Benefits Library
Poetry: 'The Gregory Peck Reading Series' at the L.A. Public Library draws top acting talent and capacity crowds.
By CHARLES CHAMPLIN, Special to The Times

Recitation, poet Donald Hill remarked in an essay on "Casey at the Bat," was an American art form in those distant days before radio, television, the phonograph record and the Internet.
          From 1888 when "Casey" was written by a Harvard graduate named Ernest Lawrence Thayer and for decades afterward, many a picnic, smoker and banquet was enlivened by a dramatic rendition of the poem and its mock-tragic revelation that mighty Casey had struck out on three pitches in the bottom of the ninth with two men on and the team trailing by two. "Somewhere the sun is shining," begins its mournful last lines.
          The essay was read and the poem recited--from memory--by Walter Matthau not long ago at one of the monthly gatherings called "The Gregory Peck Reading Series" in the Mark Taper Auditorium at the Los Angeles Public Library. The evenings are a starry succession of recitations by some of Peck's starry friends, who have recited everything from "Casey" to Emily Dickinson to the Bible.
          The events are hugely popular, drawing capacity turnouts of patrons who give $250 annually for the library's support. These patrons are rewarded with a glowing "only-in-L.A." kind of night.
          Evelyn Hoffman, who directs the Library Foundation, suggested the programs to Peck after he had given a very successful reading at the opening of a branch library. Now, says one of the Saturday night faithful, "he's the Sol Hurok of the public library."
          Peck recruits two of his actor friends for each of six meetings a year. Matthau, who confessed he had recited "Casey" to audition for an acting job at 16 (he didn't get it), was teamed with actress Judith Ivey, who read, in an appropriate and hilarious drawl, a New Yorker short story.
          "The actors love it," Peck says. "They really get into it. They rehearse on their own, some of them more than once. They love libraries and I think they feel they're putting something back in. So these little evenings have become a cultural boon."
          The season's last evening on May 31 will feature British actress Helen Mirren ("Prime Suspect") and a partner to be announced. "So many actors want to do it," Peck says. "But they're all working, and who can complain about that?"
          Most recently, in mid-April, Broadway star Tammy Grimes ("The Unsinkable Molly Brown") and her daughter Amanda Plummer ("The Fisher King" and "Pulp Fiction") gave a wide selection of poems from Emily Dickinson to Robert Frost and collaborated on scenes from "Romeo and Juliet" and "Mary Stuart," a 19th century play by Johan Frederich von Schiller, which invents a scene between Queen Elizabeth and Mary Queen of Scots, who never met in life.
          The readers almost always choose their own material but Peck admits that when Grimes and Plummer were seeking one more item, he mentioned "Mary Stuart," which he had seen in a Franco Zeffirelli stage production in Rome.
          Peck himself shared an evening with Louis Jourdan, who read Mark Twain's "What Is Man?," while Peck himself read poems by Yeats. Shirley MacLaine, sharing an evening with Gabriel Byrne, read from Tennyson, Kipling's "If," the Gettysburg Address and a piece from her own book, "Going Within." Byrne read from Yeats and Oscar Wilde and two selections from his book, "Pictures in My Head."
          On another memorable evening, John Lithgow and Kathy Bates joined to do scenes from "Glass Menagerie," "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" and "Waiting for Godot." Samantha Eggar and Norman Lloyd gave the evening to a single piece, Shaw's "A Conversation for Two Voices." On their night, Anjelica Huston and Morgan Freeman each read a short story, Huston Dorothy Parker's "Glory in the Daytime" and Freeman William Melvin Kelly's "Not Exactly Lena Horne."
          In March, Charlton Heston and Lynn Redgrave, who launched the series in 1995, returned to do, among other readings, the last chapter of "Moby Dick" as condensed by Heston. Richard Dreyfuss read selections from courtroom speeches by Clarence Darrow, and Fionnula Flanagan read some remarkable Irish poems, including "A Lament in Memory of My Mother," by Cathal O'Searcaigh, as translated by Seamus Heaney.
          Ted Danson and Mary Steenburgen included an excerpt from "Love in the Time of Cholera," by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Among their offerings, Michael York and Victoria Tennant read from Alan Bennett's "An Englishman Abroad," his dramatization of actress Coral Browne's bizarre encounter with British traitor Guy Burgess in Moscow. Roddy McDowall read from Christopher Isherwood's "Prater Violet" and joined Genevieve Bujold in a selection from Shaw's "St. Joan".
          The evenings are a reminder of the glories of the human voice, carrying without sets or props the range of the human condition from antic farce to romance and tragedy, ancient and modern. There may be no joy in Mudville, but there is at the library.
          Information: (213) 228-7500.

          Copyright Los Angeles Times

Sally Mierop
rm_fan@ameritech.net

also submitted by:
Dana Brewer
dana@nav.cc.tx.us

> Welcome to our little family. Some are more talkative than others but they
> are out there listening. :-)

Gee Sally,
You weren't talking about me, were ya?!?! ;>

----
Welcome aboard Mo!!! Glad your here!!! How's life on the other side of the pond?
-Paul Worley
crah@infonline.net

Subject: true comics

i just wanted everyone who bought on, the i just recieved the true comics in the mail and will be passing them all out shortly. (As soon as i find all your addresses again... :) Thanks for being patient.

-Paul
crah@infonline.net

Subject: Where was RM on Monday, May 12?

See for yourselves:

...Sally..

          Wednesday, May 14, 1997

          RSVP
          She's Fostering Support for Colleagues
          By MARK EHRMAN, Special to The Times

          The Monday night cocktail reception at the Argyle Hotel in Hollywood was one of those seemingly low-key affairs that practically screamed the presence of wealth. A lone pianist played in the background while the guests, most dressed in unflashy after-work attire, sipped wine and munched on Rosti potatoes with black caviar or fresh corn polenta with foie gras.
          The party was in honor of Jodie Foster, who had just made a "generous donation" to the Motion Picture & Television Fund, and was hosted by the fund's chairman, Jeffrey Katzenberg. "There is no industry that takes care of its own the way we do," Katzenberg said of the 75-year-old fund's activities, which include operating the Country House and Hospital in Woodland Hills to provide care for retired and convalescing industry workers. The fund also offers financial assistance, personal and family counseling, child care and other social services.
          Lending support for Foster and the MPTF were Katzenberg; Foster's mom, Evelyn Foster; Warren Beatty and Annette Bening; Debbie Allen; Turner Entertainment President Roger Mayer; Stephanie Powers; Lew and Edie Wasserman; Roddy McDowall; Robert Zemeckis; Leonard Maltin; and a bevy of high-salary studio types.
          The ceremony featured some brief speechifying by Katzenberg, fund CEO Ken Scherer and Allen before McDowall stepped up to the mike to present Foster with a gift-wrapped token of thanks: a handmade teapot crafted by the residents of the Country House and Hospital.
          "I was always led to believe that child performers usually grow up to be worth not one damn thing," quipped McDowall. "You seem to have beaten that rap. Hopefully, Jodie, you comprehend that the measure of generosity that you have displayed toward the MPTF reaches far beyond the boundaries of your monetary contribution."
          The subsequent applause was followed by a collective gasp when Foster accidentally dropped the box. She held up the teapot, shaped and painted to look like a vine-covered cottage, making her thank yous with her gift and dignity intact.
          And just how generous was Foster? "That's kind of a tacky question," demurred the evening's honoree. (It was $100,000, we heard.) And while it's hard to believe that the likes of Beatty or Wasserman would ever be in need of financial assistance, Foster said the assemblage of affluence belied the needs of many in the industry.
          "The film business is not just studio executives," she said. "It's the people who actually work on movies, which is kind of like people who work on buildings or people who work in the automotive industry. And people work very, very hard and in very dangerous situations. I think of my business as much more of a working-class thing than other people do."
          Copyright Los Angeles Times

Sally Mierop
rm_fan@ameritech.net

also submitted by:
Dana Brewer
dana@nav.cc.tx.us

Subject: Release of Jungle Book 2

Hi everybody,

Here's a review from the LA Times.

...Sally..

          Friday, May 16, 1997

          Movie Review
          Thin 'Mowgli and Baloo' Goes Back to the Jungle
          By JOHN ANDERSON, For The Times

          Disney's live-action "Jungle Book" of 1994 had lofty production values, a taut script, a fine supporting cast and, most of all, Jason Scott Lee, who was as cunningly convincing a loincloth-clad hero as anyone was likely to cast.
          Now we get the non-Disney "Rudyard Kipling's The Second Jungle Book: Mowgli and Baloo"--Mowgli being the jungle boy, Baloo being the bear--which is a mouthful, and more words are about all it adds to this particular oeuvre. The film does boast a charismatic lead actor--11-year-old Jamie Williams, who is wonderfully expressive as the young Mowgli. But the film looks undernourished--as do many of the animals--and you're a bit distracted from the story worrying whether everyone is getting enough to eat.
          Set in 1890s India, it's full of primeval landscapes and jungle beasts--Baloo, Mowgli's good friend; Grey Wolf, leader of the pack that has raised the boy from infanthood; and Bagheera, the black panther--although a lot of it looks as if it were shot through an old Viewmaster.
          Director Duncan McLachlan gives us twitty Raj-era Brits and daffy Indians, and one American--Harrison (Bill Campbell), a talent scout for P.T. Barnum, who wants to capture the boy and bring him back to New York. Harrison will, of course, come to his moral senses, especially after Mowgli is put in peril by his Uncle Buldeo (Gulshan Grover), who has inherited Mowgli's late father's estate and doesn't want any 11-year-olds asserting their rights to the property.
          A reasonable amount of "The Second Jungle Book" is energetic and occasionally fun; Roddy McDowall makes an appearance as a mad old soldier and lifts the film out of its doldrums. The chimpanzees are antic, but the less controllable animals--the wolves, the panther--are shot in ways that clearly called for as little control and as little film as possible. That these failings are so noticeable doesn't do much for the old suspension of disbelief, and combined with the predictable slo-mo animals sequences, it makes the script seem even more lame.
          "I'll be a monkey's uncle," Harrison says during a particularly momentous scene, "the animals are cooperating with each other. . . ." Well, if he were, they'd have to be. But the fact that I'm searching so strenuously for jokes is an indication of how tough things can be in the jungle.
          * MPAA rating: PG for some mild adventure violence and brief mild language. Times guidelines: fine for most children.

                                        * * *

          'Rudyard Kipling's the Second
          Jungle Book: Mowgli and Baloo'
          Jamie Williams: Mowgli
          Bill Campbell: Harrison
          Roddy McDowall: King Murphy
          David Paul Francis: Chuchundra
          Gulshan Grover: Buldeo
          A Kiplinbook/Raju Patel production, released by TriStar, with
          MDP Worldwide and Sharad Patel. Director Duncan McLachlan.
          Producer Raju Patel. Screenplay by Bayard Johnson, Matthew
          Horton, based on the Rudyard Kipling tale. Cinematographer
          Adolfo Bartoli. Editor Marcus Manton. Costumes Ann Hollowood.
          Music John Scott. Production design Errol Kelly. Art directors Paul
          Takis, Sunil Wijeratne. Running time: 1 hour, 28 minutes.
          * In general release throughout Southern California.

          Copyright Los Angeles Times

Sally Mierop
rm_fan@ameritech.net

Subject: Roddy

Copyright 1997 United Press International. All rights reserved.
The following news report may not be republished or redistributed, in whole or in part, without the prior written consent of United Press International.

UPI Arts & Entertainment -- Scott's World
(800)
(release at will)

By VERNON SCOTT
UPI Hollywood Reporter

          HOLLYWOOD (UPI) -- Which living actor has the most feature motion pictures to his credit?
          No official records are kept, but stars claiming they have done a record number of movies would have to have started their careers as youngsters and today would be in their 60s or 70s, and still working.
          The genuine record-holder would have to be a familiar name and face, not an extra, day player or mob-scene face in the crowd.
          One of the likeliest prospects for the title is Roddy McDowall, who will be seen this summer in "Jungle Book II," subtitled "Rudyard Kipling's The Second Jungle Book, Mowgli and Baloo."
          McDowall, relaxing in his sylvan home in an upscale canyon in the Hollywood Hills, said he has 140 feature motion pictures in his resume.
          "I don't know if that is a record," he said in his slightly detached, urbane way.
          "It's a good many films in this day and age to be sure. When stars were under contract to studios I would think some of them made 200 or more pictures, both in leading and supporting roles. That doesn't happen now that everyone free-lances and films take so much longer to make."
          In addition, there are more actors today and fewer pictures being made than in the past when studios each made 30 or 40 films a year, counting B movies, which were called programmers.
          Both Mickey Rooney, 77, and McDowall, 69, began as child actors. McDowall made his first screen appearance in England in 1936 in "Murder in the Family."
          Rooney debuted in a feature film in 1932 in "My Pal the King."
          Although Rooney has attained greater longevity as an actor and achieved brighter stardom than McDowall, the latter is going stronger at this stage of the game.
          "I'm hanging in there," McDowell said.
          "'Jungle Book II' is a prequel to the one that was made two years ago. In this picture Mowgli is about 8 years old. Jamie Williams plays Mowgli and Bill Campbell plays Harrison.
          "We shot the film in Sri Lanka. I'd never been there before. It was fascinating.
          "I play King Murphy, a British soldier who after many decades in the jungle has become self-proclaimed king of the jungle. He's as mad as a March hare. He's a very funny character."
          Eccentric characters are nothing new to McDowall who has played murderers, victims, mad scientists and scores of oddballs and zanies with panache and great good humor.
          At 12, Roddy was discovered in English flicks by Darryl F. Zanuck and was brought to Hollywood to star in "Man Hung," "How Green Was My Valley" and "Lassie Come Home" with Elizabeth Taylor.
          He was too young at the time to join Hollywood's English colony, the screen stars who arrived from the British Isles before World War II.
          That tightly knit group of expatriates included Ronald Colman, C. Aubrey Smith, Dame Mae Witty, Basil Rathbone, Reginald Owen, David Niven, Anna Lee, Nigel Bruce and many more.
          They introduced formal afternoon English tea to the movie community, as well as polo and bowling on the green. They also held formal dinner parties and played genteel tennis tournaments among themselves.
          "Most of them were under contract at a time when intercontinental flying wasn't an option," McDowall said. "So they just settled down in Southern California where they could make a good living."
          Today movie actors such as Michael Caine, Emma Thompson, Sean Connery, Anthony Hopkins and others jet to the United States to make some of their films and then return to their homes in England or elsewhere in Europe.
          McDowall is not one of them. He became an American citizen many, many years ago and is content to live in his adopted land.
          "I go back to visit England from time to time and enjoy the change of scenery," he said.
          "There aren't many of us who have enjoyed 60-year careers in movies. I thought Lionel Barrymore might have been one of those, but I guess not."
          McDowall probably has made more friends among actors and actresses than any other prominent actor in Hollywood, many of whom can be seen in his series of four coffee-table books titled "Double Exposure." The books consists of photographic essays of his co-stars and pals.
          One of his closest chums is Taylor with whom he has made two movies in addition to "Lassie Come Home" -- "Cleopatra" and "The White Cliffs of Dover" -- and a segment of the defunct TV series "Hotel."
          McDowall is polished and debonair with no trace of pretension, although he retains a pronounced English accent after almost 60 years in the United States, 20 of them in New York City.
          He still keeps busy as a professional photographer when he isn't working in movies and occasionally in TV.
          "I just completed a television show, 'Unlikely Angel,' with Dolly Parton, whom I dearly love," he said. "She is a sensational person, a treasure of a human being and a real professional.
          "She has a Southern accent, which I just can't do. I don't think of my nationality anymore, even when I go back to England. I suppose I'm a thoroughgoing American by now."

---
Copyright 1997 by United Press International.
All rights reserved.
---
(release at will)

Subject: Hi gang!

hi gang.
sorry i have not written in so long. to those who are new to the list allow me to introduce myself. my name is tami and i'm a mcdowall fan also. although lately i haven't been keeping up with him as much as i have been keeping up with my other love interest's the monkees, or more to the point, peter tork. i'm getting ready to go see him in dallas on june 21st. i've been spending all my time on the monkees on the internet. which reminds me here's my new e-mail address peter@abilene.com. so just start sendin g my e-mail to that address above,ok roc. please. i'm still interested in what happens to roddy and after i see peter things will go back to normal. i'll start taking an interest in roddy. i'll also start going back to church regularly and reading the bible again. does anyone here have more than one vcr here? i'm still looking for someone to send me a copy of roddy's encounter's of the fourth kind a report on communion. roc, i did find the movie carmilla here where i live. and although i did l ike roddy's performance the movie was too short and not what i thought it would be like at all. anyway, i would like to start hearing from some of you the way i used to. we were sort of like pen pals writing back and forth,remember? i really enjoyed that. in fact i would like to have all of you as pen pals. not just as a list of people like it is now. i can be reached by either tami32@juno.com or peter@ abilene.com. please let me hear from you once in a while. thanks.
tami.

Subject: RE: Roddy

Anybody have a *date* on this article?

...Sally..

At 04:49 AM 5/18/97 -0700, you wrote:

>Copyright 1997 United Press International. All rights reserved.
>The following news report may not be republished or redistributed, in whole or
>in part, without the prior written consent of United Press International.
>

> UPI Arts & Entertainment -- Scott's World
> (800)
> (release at will)
>
> By VERNON SCOTT
> UPI Hollywood Reporter
>  HOLLYWOOD (UPI) -- Which living actor has the most feature motion pictures to
> ---
>  Copyright 1997 by United Press International.
>  All rights reserved.
> ---
> (release at will)

Sally Mierop
rm_fan@ameritech.net

Subject: RE: RE: Jungle Book 2

Hi Janet,

Thank you for your reply. What I wanted to know is where Roddy lives in America. Can you help?

Love Mo xx

PS: It is my birthday today (Monday 19 May)!!!!

Subject: RE: Hi Mo!

MATT MITCHELL of The Musgrave Foundation wrote:

> In answer to your question...hey, Roc, does RM still live on Laurel
> Canyon?

          Well, she said, ever cautious.... thereabouts. He's not actually *on* Laurel Canyon, but close enough government work....

:->

--Roc

RM Tribute: Frames | RM Tribute: No Frames | Contact Us | Musgrave Foundation