RMGROUP mail
August 1998

Subject: question

where I can I buy a copy of Dirty Mary Crazy Larry? Have been looking for 5 yrs.....please help

HITIMES4ME@aol.com

Subject: RM in the news (sort of)

FOCUS: ORANGE COUNTY COMMUNITY NEWS
SADDLEBACK/SOUTH BEACH: LAGUNA BEACH
Machine Picks Up Litter--and the Pace
By STEVE CARNEY

Los Angeles Times Wednesday July 29, 1998
Orange County Edition

It looks like a pint-sized street sweeper that jumped the curb. But cruising down the sidewalk is right where city officials want their newest vehicle to be.

The city bought the Clean Machine to keep its sidewalks and pedestrian spaces tidy, including spots downtown, at Main Beach and at Heisler Park.

Before, city work crews had to sweep and pick up trash by hand in those areas--and they can't collect as much as quickly as the machine. Mayor Steve Dicterow said keeping sidewalks clean is even more important in Laguna Beach than in other cities because of its reliance on tourist traffic.

Dicterow said the city took its cue from San Francisco, which has seven of the Scottish-made devices. It is the first of its kind in Orange County.

He said the machine's $25,000 price tag is a bargain when spread over its five-year life span and weighed against the time it saves city workers, who can now perform other tasks.

The device sweeps and vacuums everything in its path--including leaves, beer bottles and cigarette butts--and grinds them into dust the consistency of beach sand.

"Because this is a recreation town, at night it does get messy," said resident Anne Morris, who stopped on the sidewalk to watch city workers test-drive the Clean Machine recently.

"I think it's a real good idea, if it can save the employees time," she said. "I sure see people struggle down on the beach. Plus, it's cute."

The operator can either walk behind the diesel-powered, self-propelled machine or ride on a seat that extends from the back. And to alert oblivious pedestrians, the controller can push a button to emit a warning in a sleepy surfer-dude drawl, "Caution--sweeper approaching."

Officials said messages are also available in John Wayne's and Roddy McDowall's voices.

Copyright, The Times Mirror Company; Los Angeles Times, 1998.

Words fail me.
--Mel

Subject: Star Power video

Entertainment Weekly, 08-07-1998
Video: The Week
Also Released

Roddy McDowell narrates STAR POWER (1998, Unapix, unrated, $19.98), an easily digested primer on early Hollywood and the creation of United Artists by Chaplin, Griffith, Pickford, and Fairbanks....

--Mel

Subject: Re: Poseidon Adventure

wow, that was a really painful memory, that was the movie that introduced me to roddy, and i could not have been sadder than when they killed him off, it didn't have to happen!!! they could have let acres lead everyone to safety

Sabryna136@aol.com

Subject: A Clockwork Roddy

This is an excerpt from http://www39.pair.com/malky/intws/aol.html, an AOL interview of Malcolm McDowell.

AOLiveMC15: NikiPike asks: Is Roddy your brother, and if he is, what do you think of his career as an actor towards another actor?

McDowllM: Oh, we are not related in any way, shape or form. But I know Roddy rather well, and he's a wonderful actor and I think he's had a marvelous career. He's still working and he's been acting since he was child, so it must be more than 50 years! I do know that some people stop him in airports and congratulate him on his performance in Clockwork Orange. He just smiles sweetly and says, "Thank you very much."

--Mel

Subject: Reply to your reply to my poseidon question

Hey, thanks for clearing that up for me! I'd say your guess is a pretty good one. The Poseidon Adventure has always been one of my fav shows, although I admit when I first saw it, I watched it up until Roddy bites it, then got mad and mocked the rest of it. Ever notice in that show how a character dies off as soon as the group doesn't need them anymore? Here I was cheering for the cute little injured guy (who I figured survived the initial disaster and made it this far and deserved to make it off the bloody ship) only to have them drop him down a drain. The nerve of some people!

Thanks!
Kari

Subject: Re: Louise Brooks

Uh....who's Louise Brooks???

LadyMara

Subject: Re: hey! fright night

I totally agree about Stephen Geoffreys' performance in Fright Night. He's a good actor with a lot of potential. Did you by any chance catch him in the movie, "976-EVIL"?
I love that movie.

-- Mara

> oh man! ok this is how it went down,there was an explosion and he
> fell off the ladder into the water below,now obviously the water was
> hot cause there was steam coming from it,so he died instantly from
> the burning hot water. so he drown. hugs, tami. peter@abilene.com

         No, no, no. If the water was so hot it boiled Roddy, it would have boiled Ernest too.
         My theory... Due to his bad leg, he wasn't able to kick himself to the surface before the rest of the group left him behind. Roddy had found the ladder underwater, clung on to it, and slowly pulled himself up till he cleared the water. Remebering the kids words about heading to the bottom of the ship, he followed along slowly, even swimming along the rope and eventually finding his way to the hole in the ship.
         After watching Posiden 2, we see that there is debris floating in the water. Roddy, obviously found some to hang on to, watched the ship sink, floated for days and was picked up by a passing Russian troller.
         Roddy is actually quite alive and well, living in seclusion, somewhere in England.
         So, what do you think? It's a stretch, but possible, right?

Paul Worley

Subject: More on POTA special

http://www.mediacentral.com:80/Magazines/CableWorld/News98/1998072711.htm/539128

AMC's fall lineup is also heavy on programming stunts, the first of which actually occurs during summer. The network will celebrate the 30th anniversary of the classic sci-fi film Planet of the Apes on Sept. 6-7 by presenting all five Apes movies and a two-hour original special, Behind The Planet of the Apes.

Hosted by Roddy McDowall, who appeared in all of the films, the special features behind-the-scenes footage, screen tests, photos and home movies, as well as interviews with stars Charlton Heston, Kim Hunter, Linda Harrison, Ricardo Montalban and Natalie Trundy, plus the key players involved in creating the Apes' saga.

--Mel

> need to do? I E-Mailed another address last week, but I guess I sent
> it to the wrong place. My address is: HamiltonPM@aol.com

         Well, Paige, you must have done something right because i saw your letter in the list mail. Welcome aboard! My name is Paul and have been a member of the group for close to 3 years now.
         Feel free to jump right into a conversation, or start one of your own! Again, Glad you're here!!!

Paul Worley

Subject: Re: Quick question...

There were two episodes of "Pinky and the Brain" in which Roddy did indeed provide the voice of "Snowball" the competitive hampster.

-- Lady Mara

Subject: Re: class of 1984 write up

Hi Peter,

Greetings from Brooklyn, NY. I also saw Class of 1984, however, I thought of it as: a) one of Roddy's best roles (a gun brought into the classroom by a fed up teacher, in NYC, it's a high probability); and also b) one of the worst movies I've seen. Case in point -- Non-continuity throughout the whole movie:

  1. The address discrepancy of the teacher's address in the faculty address book and the address on the actual house.
  2. The "disappearing and reappearing blood" on "teacher's" shirt throughout the end chase scenes.
  3. mention of the amphibian display on the walls of the lab after the massacre of the animals....when all I observed was a splayed rabbit pinned to the wall.
It goes on and on...so much so I had to watch it several times to catch all the mistakes. Be that as it may, I still enjoyed the film. As RM as said, sometimes a movie is so "bad" that it's actually good. Go figure.

-- Lady Mara

For the two new members who must be wondering what we're talking about--

> Roc and I had a Powwow last week and we got to chatting about The
> Poseidon Adventure. We couldn't agree on how RM's character, Acres,
> died in the film. Was he killed by the fall, or did he drown?

Well, our webmaster must still be tied up so I'll go ahead and share with you her own take on the issue. She said Acres died of fright on the way down.

--Mel

Subject: I Can Name That Documentary In ...

Has anyone else seen/recall a documentary on horror/suspense films that RM hosted? I remember that Legend of Hell House was featured in it, so it has to have come out after Hell House and before Fright Night.

There was also another documentary, this one on Lerner & Loewe. RM didn't narrate this, but he was interviewed for his role as Mordred in Camelot. I saw this maybe around 1994 or later.

Even just the title of the documentaries would be helpful.

--Mel

Subject: Bullwhip Griffin

"Bullwhip Griffin" was shown on the Disney Channel a few years back and we taped it, but I'm not sure if it's available on video. It was one of the most delightful and entertaining movies I've seen with RM. My two sons and I would watch it often. We never tired of it. I believe it was made around 1967. RM's handsome looks really come out in this one. You could try writing the Disney Channel, requesting that it be shown. I wrote (in the 80's) and requested for "That Darn Cat" to be shown and it wasn't long before it was in their scheduling line-up.

Janet

Subject: Welcome back!

Hi all! I was wondering what had become of you all. I had begun to think that the Musgrave Foundation had disintegrated or something. Anyway, I've been putting the summer to good use. I even had a letter published in People magazine in which I told Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber to wise up. (It's a long story - don't get me started).

I went to a concert last night - Paul will be happy to hear that it wasn't Barry Manilow. (Barry's not on tour right now - he's working on a play that he hopes to bring to Broadway next season. I'll expect to see you there on opening night, Paul!)

Welcome to the family, Paige. Hop right in.

Got any ideas for a new six degrees of Roddy puzzle anyone? I've missed them.

Cheryl

Subject: Re: Welcome back!

CHERYL wrote:

> I went to a concert last night - Paul will be happy to hear that it
> wasn't Barry Manilow. (Barry's not on tour right now - he's working
> on a play that he hopes to bring to Broadway next season. I'll expect
> to see you there on opening night, Paul!)

No, but he *is* doing benefit concerts right now (hear Paul groan). I just went to the one in Houston. They're a tad expensive, though.

Dana Holland

> Anyway, I've been putting the summer to good use. I even had a
> letter published in People magazine in which I told Sir Andrew Lloyd
> Webber to wise up. (It's a long story - don't get me started).
         Oh!! I published writer! Can i have your autograph? :)

> I went to a concert last night - Paul will be happy to hear that it
> wasn't Barry Manilow. (Barry's not on tour right now - he's working
> on a play that he hopes to bring to Broadway next season. I'll expect
> to see you there on opening night, Paul!)
         And pigs might fly out my butt! Dream on!!
         Barry Marshmellow is not a playwrite. He's not even a song writer. Hack, maybe...

> Got any ideas for a new six degrees of Roddy puzzle anyone? I've
> missed them.
         Well, since you brought it up, how about RM to Barry?
         (I ain't gonna touch this one!!) :)

Paul Worley

> Well, our webmaster must still be tied up so I'll go ahead and share
> with you her own take on the issue. She said Acres died of fright on
> the way down.

         Couldn't have... he screamed all the way to the surface... dead people can't scream.
Paul Worley

=====================

Mel here --- c'mon Paul, that was just a Doppler shift. As to why his mouth was still open - umm, errr, lockjaw! It was lockjaw! His injury gave him tetanus! :-)

Subject: Star Power

http://www.spokane.net:80/news-story-body.asp?Date=080798&ID=s432016
August 7, 1998

'Star Power' details early days of Hollywood,
United Artists
Dan Webster: Videofile

In 1910, Hollywood was just a sleepy suburb on the edge of a desolate Western village called Los Angeles.

A decade later, Hollywoodland, as it was temporarily called, had become the movie capital of the world. Much of the credit for that transformation is owed to four stars who pooled their fortune and fame to found United Artists.

Charlie Chaplin, David Warner Griffith, Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks were diverse talents.

Griffith was the pioneer filmmaker whose "Birth of a Nation" was, though a racist diatribe, the first genuinely epic movie.

The other three were performers first, filmmakers second. Fairbanks was the original action star, the Zorro and Robin Hood of his day. Pickford was "America's Sweetheart." And Chaplin rode his trademark movie character, the Little Tramp, to unprecedented success as a comic auteur.

All four struggled, as industry talent does now, with the business types. But there was a difference: When Pickford was signed (by Griffith) to her first movie contract, she received $10 a week.

That, however, was more than twice the average salary. And within a few years, having become one of the first recognizable performers -- again thanks in part to Griffith -- she was making $10,000 a week.

It was that kind of power that the studio heads wanted to curb. The story of what they did then, and how these particular four stars responded, is the subject of the video "Star Power: The Creation of United Artists," which is being distributed by the Seattle-based company Unapix/Miramar Entertainment.

As history, the 54-minute video (co-written and directed by Hugh Munro Neely) offers nothing that you can't get from a decent film-history book. But it does provide a fairly decent biographical look at each of the four principals, and it screens clips from some of their better-known films -- Griffith's "Intolerance," Pickford in Griffith's "Way Down East," Fairbanks in "Mark of Zorro" and Chaplin in "Gold Rush."

Overall, as narrated by Roddy McDowall, "Star Power" presents a fairly decent look at early Hollywood for the novice film student -- a Hollywood that these four made, for a short time, a place that respected talent and encouraged the creation of art.

"At least for a time," McDowall says, "there was a golden decade of prestige and unrestricted invention for the artist. They created their own star power, and in doing so they helped build Hollywood."

For better and for worse.

The video price is $19.98. To order, call (800) 609-6111. For other Unapix/Miramar products, consult the company's Web-site catalog at www.miramarupx.com.

--Mel

Subject: RM is AMPAS Treasurer
ACADEMY RE-ELECTS REHME AS PRESIDENT

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - Robert Rehme, who started out in showbiz as a 16-year-old theater usher in his native Cincinnati, has been re-elected president of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences. The AMPAS board of governors, meeting Thursday, ushered the veteran producer into office for a second consecutive one-year term. He also served as president in 1992-93. Rehme was behind changing the Oscars presentation to Sundays starting next year. In other elections to the academy board, actor Roddy McDowall, who has served three consecutive terms as secretary, was elected treasurer.

Reuters/Variety

--Mel

Subject: Bedknobs and Broomsticks

http://www.phillynews.com:80/inquirer/98/Aug/08/entertainment/BEDK08.htm

Restored `Bedknobs' on Disney tomorrow
By Susan King
LOS ANGELES TIMES

LOS ANGELES -- Blame Radio City Music Hall.

Back in 1971, Walt Disney Pictures had booked its lavish family musical Bedknobs and Broomsticks into New York's famous movie palace. But Radio City issued a decree: The film had to be less than two hours because it was to be packaged with the theater's elaborate stage show.

So more than 20 minutes were excised from the big-budget fantasy to give it a running time of 117 minutes. That's the version that exists on video, too.

But thanks to detective work by Disney's Scott McQueen, 23 minutes have been restored, and the film will be shown tomorrow on the Disney Channel.

The presentation will be hosted by Angela Lansbury, who stars in Bedknobs as Eglantine Price, a wealthy, eccentric spinster who lives in a tiny coastal village in World War II England. Eglantine is taking a correspondence course in witchcraft to help win the war against Germany.

David Tomlinson (Mary Poppins) plays con man Emelius Browne, who falls for Eglantine, and Roddy McDowall is an amorous cleric who wants to marry Eglantine for her money. The film, which, like Mary Poppins, combined live-action and animation, featured a spritely score from the Poppins team of Richard and Robert Sherman.

The cuts to make the movie less than two hours entailed reducing McDowall's role to one minute and eliminating two Lansbury tunes -- a big production number called "A Step in the Right Direction" and the charming little song "Nobody's Problems for Me." The spirited "Portobello Road" was reduced from about 10 minutes to three.

"There were some very bad lapses of continuity in the original," Lansbury notes. Nevertheless, she says, Bedknobs is hugely popular with Gen-Xers and a whole new generation of youngsters.

When McQueen, Disney's senior manager of library restoration, came aboard in 1991, he thought it was only "A Step in the Right Direction" that needed to be found. But when he pulled the shooting script from the archives, he discovered other sequences that had been cut.

He found several missing sequences in the film's original work prints. Included were scenes featuring McDowall and costars Tessie O'Shea and Arthur E. Gould-Porter, as well as sequences from "Portobello Road," Tomlinson's fun solo "With a Flair" and "Nobody's Problems for Me."

"But those work prints were very scratchy and the color had faded," McQueen says. "My next step was to pull the original protection masters. Whenever a film is made, very soon after it gets to the final post-production stage, copies are made in case anything happens to the negative."

McQueen asked for everything labeled Bedknobs in the archives, but the search proved fruitless. Eventually 20 more cans were unearthed that had been erroneously marked "TV lifts," "implying they were special sequences for a TV version."

Instead, McQueen says, "they were missing pieces of the camera negative."

In some instances, the matching audio was missing. So McQueen brought in Lansbury and McDowall to redo lines and hired voice actors to imitate the late O'Shea, the child stars who played Cockney orphans living with Eglantine, and Tomlinson, who is now in his 80s.

McQueen was uncertain about including "Nobody's Problems for Me" because the underscoring was never recorded. All McQueen had was Lansbury with piano accompaniment.

But composer Richard Sherman "was adamant. . . . He said they wanted it in. It was only because of the meddling that went on that they didn't score it. The song is proper there. It really sets up the whole last act." For all McQueen's efforts, however, Bedknobs is still not in its original form. He never found the missing footage of "A Step in the Right Direction."

"It's just not among any of the other material we found," McQueen says. "It's a mystery."

--Mel

Subject: The Movie Buff Test

Excerpt from http://www.freelancenews.com/columnists/jed_logan/98.06.04.html.

Jed Logan
June 4th, 1998
Only real fans of movies know who Roddy McDowall is

[snip]

The Movie Test
         ... I was sitting in Wild Splash juice bar the other day sipping down some of the organic, low-salt, low-fat soup and biting into one of the grilled Pannini sandwiches they offer when a young woman named Lauren Scholes struck up a conversation with me.
         The 20-year-old Gavilan College student appeared to be of sound mind and body, which only made me wonder that much more why she would talk to me.
         The dark haired youth said she was a budding film buff and wanted to talk about movies. It wasn't until I gave her the Roddy McDowall test - anyone who doesn't know who McDowall is, is no movie buff.
         McDowall is an actor whose 57-year career started with classic films like "Lassie, Come Home," "My friend Flicka," to blockbusters like "Cleopatra" with Elizabeth Taylor and "Funny Lady" with Barbara Streisand. He is probably best known for his portrayal of Cornelius in the "Planet of the Apes" movies.
         I came up with this test several years ago thanks to a former lifestyles editor here at the Free Lance. This editor, named Julie, was working on a story about Baby Peggy, a local silent film actress who had worked with and was close to McDowall.
         Julie called McDowall trying to get a quote from him about Baby Peggy but McDowall was in New York rehearsing a stage production. As soon as McDowall got the message that it was about Baby Peggy, he stopped in the middle of his rehearsal, ran outside the theater and called Julie back from a pay phone in the middle of Manhattan.
         As Julie was about to end the phone interview, she asked McDowall if he has been in any movies and if so, which ones. An irritated McDowall told Julie she would have to look that up herself and hung up on her.
         Ever since then, I've tested other people's movie knowledge by asking them if they know who McDowall is.
         When Lauren said she didn't know who he is, I realized that her interest in movies had to do with finding out what new ones would be hitting theaters this summer.

[rest of story snipped]

--Mel

Subject: RM birthday

Hi everyone - I haven't been getting RM List Mail for awhile - (thanks Mel for pinging!) and I was wondering what decision had been made about RM's birthday this year - the last I heard was that most people were happy with the idea of whoever was interested could send a card to one person and then the cards would be forwarded on. Is that still happening? - after all RM's birthday is happening pretty soon. If it still is - who's address do I send my card to.

Thanks.

Janeen (from the land down under)

Oh, definitely, I'd love to have a broader perspective on the movies reflected in the filmography. It would be great to have other reviews linked to or incorporated within.

Steve, would you want to write something up for Class of 1984? With your byline noted, of course! If you want to do a full page, we could link it up, or if just a paragraph or so we could add another cell to the table.

This is true for all the movie listing--we can add links, or extra comments; whatever. I really, really need to update the whole filmography anyway (yes, Mel?) (whuh, it's *not* still 1996? oops...) so it would be wonderful to add some other fan input to it, as well.

--Nancy

Subject: Re: Bedknobs and Broomsticks

Has anybody watched the restored Bedknobs and Broomsticks? I haven't yet, and am curious about the changes. More Roddy is definitely a good thing! --Nancy

Paul Worley wrote:
>          Couldn't have... he screamed all the way to the surface... dead
>people can't scream.

Ah, but do we know for *sure* that they can't? Can't or won't, man, those dead can be so stoic...

--Nancy

Subject: Six degrees of Roddy

Actually, Paul, Barry's play is getting good reviews in tryouts on the West coast. I wish that he would record a new album. There's a song he sings in concert that I love. Dana is probably familiar with it. It's called "Forever and a Day." Makes me cry every time. (sniff)

Anyway, Barry was in "Copacabana" with Ernie Sabella. Ernie was in "Going Under" with Roddy.

Cheryl

Subject: Re: Looking for Lulu

Mel wrote:
>Was anyone able to watch (and tape) 'Louise Brooks: Looking for Lulu'
>at TCM last May 5?

Yup, watched (and taped) it, and enjoyed it immensely. By happy coincidence, I'd just found Pandora's Box at the video store, so it was very timely viewing for me. She was so incredibly beautiful! Rather puts me in mind of what McDowall said about meeting Liz Taylor for the first time, someone so beautiful that all you can do is laugh. (Something like that, anyway.) (And oddly enough I found myself thinking exactly that thing the other day, just suddenly stunned by the smile of a fellow on campus that completely took my breath away, so that I thought: oh, *that's* what he meant!) Does anyone know more about the relationship between Brooks and McDowall? Were they friends while he was in New York, in the 50s? Or later, when she was in Rochester? I'm sure either one could provide fascinating stories about the other; anybody know any?

Do you know, if you cut Lucy Lawless's hair into that same bob, she'd be a pretty fair ringer for Louise Brooks? Definitely, I've decided; I *need* to be Xena in my next lifetime. And I'd give 2 teeth to see McDowall as a guest star on her show. Which leads me to another question:

If you could choose to have McDowall guest star on just one show, what would it be?

--Nancy

Subject: Six Degrees of RM

Did anyone see "Murphy Brown" last night (8/10)? Actually, it was a rerun, so you may have seen this episode before.

Anyway, Murphy talks about playing Six Degrees of Roddy McDowall with a supposed film buff (who wasn't good at it) & snorts that they're not a REAL movie fan.

Too funny.

- Maureen

Subject: RM is Academy Foundation President!

http://www.latimes.com/HOME/NEWS/WIRES/tCB00a0134.html
Tuesday, August 11, 1998

AMPAS Wing Gets Roddy McDowall
By NICK MADIGAN, Reuters

HOLLYWOOD--Actor Roddy McDowall has been elected president of the Academy Foundation, the educational and cultural arm of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences.
         McDowall, who previously served three terms as the foundation's treasurer, was born in London in 1928 and first appeared in the film "Murder in the Family" at age 9.
         He later appeared in "How Green Was My Valley" (1941), "The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean" (1972), "Funny Lady" (1975) and "Double Trouble" (1992), as well as numerous TV shows.
         Last week, McDowall replaced Fay Kanin as treasurer of AMPAS (Variety, Aug. 10).
         In other foundation elections, Academy president Robert Rehme was returned for a fourth term as vice president and Sid Ganis, governor of the public relations branch, was returned as secretary.
         Another PR branch governor, Marvin Levy, was elected vice president, while music branch governor Arthur Hamilton became treasurer.
         Re-elected as trustees were Ganis, McDowall, Levy and Rehme, as well as Dede Allen, Alan Bergman, Bruce Broughton, John Frankenheimer, Don Hall, Karl Malden, Roger L. Mayer, Lew Wasserman and Frank Pierson.
         The Academy's executive director, Bruce Davis, remains exec secretary of the foundation, which was established in 1942 to oversee educational, preservation and cultural activities of AMPAS.
         Its governing body of 16 trustees is drawn from the Academy's 39-member board of governors.

Reuters/Variety

--Mel

RM's death as Akers in the film is more of a bummer when you realize that in the book his character is the love interest for the young female lead (in the film her name is Susan, I think and she develops a crush on the Gene Hackman character). It would have been nice for him to have a happy ending.

But now I have a question. Roddy is in a file called "Flood". He appears only for about 10 or 15 minutes as he get dropped off from a helicopter to do some fishing. He's never seen again. Did he get off the island before the flood or didn't he?. Someone help.

Thanks

--Susan M Hailson

Subject: Re: Six Degrees of Roddy

How many degrees from Sarah Michelle Gellar to Roddy?

BTW, did you know that Terry Farrell (she played the recently offed Jadzia Dax in Deep Space Nine) was in the same Quantum Leap episode as RM? Terry played the title character in "A Leap for Lisa".

--Mel

First, I want to thank you for welcoming me aboard. As far as "Poseidon", I never really thought about how he died, I was just angry that he did. I remember reading reviews of the film when it first came out and most of the critics only cared about Mr. McDowall's charactor---so, we're not the only ones who feel (felt) that way.

Paige-Marie Hamilton

Subject: Re: More on POTA special

I believe RM was in all of them except the second one. But I could be wrong.

Sue

----------

> AMC's fall lineup is also heavy on programming stunts, the first of
> which actually occurs during summer. The network will celebrate the
> 30th anniversary of the classic sci-fi film Planet of the Apes on
> Sept. 6-7 by presenting all five Apes movies and a two-hour original
> special, Behind The Planet of the Apes.
>
> Hosted by Roddy McDowall, who appeared in all of the films, the
> special features behind-the-scenes footage, screen tests, photos and
> home movies, as well as interviews with stars Charlton Heston, Kim
> Hunter, Linda Harrison, Ricardo Montalban and Natalie Trundy, plus
> the key players involved in creating the Apes' saga.

>How many degrees from Sarah Michelle Gellar to Roddy?

Here we go:

Sarah Michelle Gellar:
1) stars in Buffy: the Vampire Slayer with David Boreanaz;
2) who appeared in Married...With Children (as Kelly's boyfriend) with Amanda Bearse;
3) who starred in Fright Night with... RM!

Matthew Mitchell

RE: question on "Flood,"
they filmed that in my hometown in Oregon. There was supposed to be more footage of RM, but it was dropped from the film. (In someone's wisdom.) From what I was told, his character was in the Flood, but was OK at the end of the film. I like that ending.

Joni

How about Peter Wingfield?

--Mel

I agree. I'm still puzzling over "Double Trouble"

Sue

p.s. does anyone know what happened to RM's character in "Flood"? He gets dropped off to do some fishing just before the flood hits and although I've watched the show several times, I don't know what happens to him.

----------

SUSAN wrote:

> RM's death as Akers in the film is more of a bummer when you realize
> that in the book his character is the love interest for the young
> female lead (in the film her name is Susan, I think and she develops
> a crush on the Gene Hackman character). It would have been nice for
> him to have a happy ending.
>
> But now I have a question. Roddy is in a file called "Flood". He
> appears only for about 10 or 15 minutes as he get dropped off from a
> helicopter to do some fishing. He's never seen again. Did he get
> off the island before the flood or didn't he?. Someone help.

Which book did you read, Susan? 'Cause I managed to track down the novel by Paul Gallico (after many library searches, whew!), and as near as I can tell, Acres' character is in the book, but only at the beginning. He is one of the two stewards that the group runs into right after the overturn. Acres is hurt (same as the movie), only he can't walk at all, and his friend refuses to leave him to die alone, so he chooses to stay rather than try to escape with the others. I thought this was a very touching part of the book, especially since I already saw the movie, and was already associating Acres with RM. Susan is raped by an unknown cabin boy (hardly a romance!) whose name is not mentioned. Maybe you had the movie version of the book, which would be a REALLY cool find if it was. Roddy never comes back after his initial appearance in Flood. Maybe his parts were cut, or he was just one of those celebrity cameo things.

Kari

> > Hosted by Roddy McDowall, who appeared in all of the films
> >
> I believe RM was in all of them except the second one. But I could
> be wrong.

Sue, some magazines I've read credit him as the narrator in the second film. What says our Apes-meister, Paul?

--Mel

Subject: POTA

Roddy was in all of the Apes movies except "Beneath the Planet of the Apes," which I always thought was the weakest of the sequels anyway. He does appear in "Beneath" for about 2 minutes at the very beginning in footage that was taken from the end of "Planet of the Apes." He is reading from the ape scriptures - I can hear it even as I type, "Beware the beast man...," This is why he is sometimes listed as the narrator or the introductory voice.

Cheryl :)

> > I believe RM was in all of them except the second one. But I could
> > be wrong.
>
> Sue, some magazines I've read credit him as the narrator in the
> second film. What says our Apes-meister, Paul?

         Well, Mel, his appearence in the 2nd film was merely a replay of the end of the first POTA movie. He did NO new acting for Beneath.
         The ending narrator , <I think> was Orson wells, but there is no written evidence on that yet. I'm still searching.

Paul Worley

two more for the Sarah Michelle Gellar round.....

1) SMG - "Buffy" - Juliet Landau
2) JL - "Ed Wood" - Martin Landau
3) ML - "Color of Evening" / "Greatest Story...." - Roddy

or even shorter....

1) SMG - "Buffy" - Brian Thompson (played "The Judge" and "Luke-the-vessel")
2) BT - "Fright Night II" - Roddy

-----
>How about Peter Wingfield?

1) PW - "Highlander" - Adrian Paul
2) AP - "War of the Worlds" - Catherine Disher
3) CD - "X-Men" - Chris Potter
4) CP - "Kung Fu: TLC" - David Carridine
5) DC - "Circle of Iron" / "Double Trouble" - Roddy

Here is one I did for fun - I wanted to include Lyle Lovett and was also able to include Rossy de Palma

1) PW - "Highlander" - Adrian Paul
2) AP - "War of the Worlds" - Catherine Disher
3) CD - "Forever Knight" - Gary Farmer
4) GF - "Dead Man" - Johnny Depp
5) JD - "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" - Lyle Lovett
6) LL - "Pret-A-Porter" - Rossy De Palma
7) RDP - "Los Gusanos no llevan bufanda" - Roddy

-Jennifer

> >How about Peter Wingfield?
>
> 1) PW - "Highlander" - Adrian Paul
> 2) AP - "War of the Worlds" - Catherine Disher
> 3) CD - "X-Men" - Chris Potter
> 4) CP - "Kung Fu: TLC" - David Carridine
> 5) DC - "Circle of Iron" / "Double Trouble" - Roddy

You could take a shorter route:

PW - Highlander - Adrian Paul
AP - War of the Worlds - Jared Martin
JM - Fantastic Journey / Tales of the Gold Monkey - Roddy

--Mel

>Uh....who's Louise Brooks???
>--LadyMara

one of the great silent film stars. her "look" was much-imitated (dark page-boy haircut, specifically) and she made her name in germany by appearing in films for pabst (the director, not the beer). her most famous role is lulu in pabst's film of wedekind's plays, called "pandora's box". she made a few hollywood films in the '30s but was largely forgotten until the late '70s when kenneth tynan wrote a long piece on her for the new yorker. she later wrote a memoir called "lulu in hollywood".

-- scott

>If you could choose to have McDowall guest star on just one show, what
>would it be?
>--Nancy

"frasier"! in an episode written by joe keenan.

-- scott

> Here is one I did for fun - I wanted to include Lyle Lovett and was
> also able to include Rossy de Palma

         Uh=oh. This could add a whole new dimension to the game. RM to 'X' via 'Y'...
         Who can do Brian Denahy to RM putting Alan Arkin in the middle??

Paul Worley

Well, Scott, you're still around. Nice to have a film historian in our group. I'm one, too, but I seem to be a silent member of the group. Kyoko

and Frasier takes place here in Seattle, so I would love to have them do a location shoot for that episode. Kyoko

----------
>If you could choose to have McDowall guest star on just one show, what
>would it be?
>--Nancy

"frasier"! in an episode written by joe keenan.

-- scott

Subject: Guest stars (was: Re: Looking for Lulu)

Scott suggested:
>"frasier"! in an episode written by joe keenan.

Oh, my, yes... RM in anything written by Joe Keenan would be a rare and wonderful treat. Smart *and* funny just doesn't happy often enough.

--Nancy
  and it's good to see you back, Scott!

> and it's good to see you back, Scott!

it's good to be back, and thank you m'lady.

(did i tell you fred roped me into writing this year's madrigal dinner at nc state? you should see the scripts he passed on to me from earlier years. dear sweet jumping jehovah, but they're bad. many thees and thous and forsooths and suchlike bad medievel marzipan. even if we fail according to our own lights, our script will still be as noel coward unto pauly shore, for it cannot be any worse. forsooth. or fivesooth, even. heavens to sherwood forest!, as snagglepuss would say.)

-- scott

Subject: 6 Degrees of Roddy -- The Web Site!

Well, not really, it's mostly dedicated to Kevin Bacon. But there is a page that you can link anyone to anyone.

Here's the URL:

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~bct7m/star_links.html

Have fun!

Matthew Mitchell

>Well, Scott, you're still around. Nice to have a film historian in
>our group. I'm one, too, but I seem to be a silent member of the
>group. Kyoko

i'm back, actually. had to drop out for a while. and don't be silent
-- share! ;-) -- scott

Subject: Re: RM birthday

> Hi everyone - I haven't been getting RM List Mail for awhile -
> (thanks Mel for pinging!) and I was wondering what decision had been
> made about RM's birthday this year - the last I heard was that most
> people were happy with the idea of whoever was interested could send
> a card to one person and then the cards would be forwarded on. Is
> that still happening? - after all RM's birthday is happening pretty
> soon. If it still is - who's address do I send my card to.
>
> Janeen (from the land down under)
Did we ever get an answer on this? I have a card waiting for sending once I know where...
Beth

I want to send one, too !!!!!!!!!!

joni

Subject: What if ...?

http://www.pilotonline.com/fun/en0730lbt.html

Roddy McDowall, host of the AMC special "Behind the Planet of the Apes," on playing an ape: "The makeup was primitive compared to now. It was claustrophobic. When I first had it applied, I said to myself, `What can I do to get out of this movie?' "

--Mel

Subject: RM to attend 1998 Lone Pine Film Festival

http://www.cowboypal.com/fanclub.html

Lone Pine Film Festival
October 9-11, 1998

This year's festival is respectfully dedicated to Roy Rogers (1911-1998), who made his first movie ("Under Western Stars") in 1938 at Lone Pine, California. Guests who are scheduled to appear are Dale Evans Rogers (as special guest), Claire Trevor ("Stagecoach") and Roddy McDowall ("Lassie")

--Mel

Subject: RM Website Updates

Several updates have been made lately to the RM website. If you'd like to check them out, the starting page is http://www.smithway.org/rm/roddy.html.

All subheadings in Career Information have been made up-to-date, save for Filmography which Nancy is busy working on. There are also updates in the Biographical Stats and In the Works! webpages. And I've added a new page, Odds 'n Ends, which you can find within Funstuff.

What the hey, just start clicking and explore everything!

And if you have any info to add, or comments/suggestions to make, or even *sob* criticisms, you can send them to roc@smithway.org, but please also cc: them to isantos@mail.win.org.

Thanks, all, and have fun!

--Mel

Subject: An Ape Here ...

This excerpt is from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. For the full article, go to http://www.stlnet.com/postnet/getout/home.nsf/NewsBreak/ and click on "30 years ago, we went ape for monkeys in control".

--Mel

To celebrate its 30th anniversary, Fox Home Video is releasing restored video versions of the original and its four sequels -- "Escape From the Planet of the Apes," "Conquest of the Planet of the Apes," "Beneath the Planet of the Apes" and "Battle for the Planet of the Apes." All are available in either wide-screen or pan-and-scan for $14.98 each or $49.98 for a boxed complete collection (the widescreen collection is $54.98).

American Movie Classics is getting in on the action, too. On Labor Day Weekend, the cable channel has scheduled a "Planet of the Apes" marathon of all five movies plus "Behind the Planet of the Apes," an AMC documentary about the making of the series.

The marathon starts at 9 a.m. Sept. 6 and continues through Sept. 7, then repeats Sept. 12; the "Behind" documentary, which is included in the Fox video collection, premieres at 5:30 p.m. Sept. 6.

Subject: ... And An Ape There

This one's from the AMC website (http://www.amctv.com/home.html). RM will be their Star of the Month for September so I guess we'd be seeing more than just Apes next month.

--Mel

Simians have a rich cinematic heritage. Clyde the Orangutan in Clint Eastwood's "Every Which Way But Loose," Bonzo in the Ronald Reagan series, King Kong. But no series of films has captured their complex culture and intense xenophobia, nor highlighted their ongoing evolution and threat to their human brothers, better than "The Planet of the Apes." In celebration of the 30th anniversary of the first "Planet of the Apes" film, AMC is devoting September to our post-apocalyptic masters.

For a rare look at the making of the movies, including home movies by Cornelius himself, Hollywood Real-to-Reel presents "Behind the Planet of the Apes." Our September Star of the Month is Roddy McDowell. And, in a really daring taunt to the Ape Kingdom, we've arranged for zoos across the land to fix up their apes' cages with cable so they too can watch the AMC Planet of the Apes Marathon.

The latter is part of the "AMC's Adopt an Ape" program (disturbingly reminiscent of the domestication of the primates in "Conquest of the Planet of the Apes") - a fundraising effort to help raise money for veterinary care for the primates in the participating zoos.

So join us in September for all the ape-related hoopla. And be nice to the ape in your neighborhood, so he remembers you fondly when the revolution comes.

PAUL challenged:
> Who can do Brian Denahy to RM putting Alan Arkin in the middle??

Brian Dennehy to Elizabeth Dennehy in "Jack Reed: A Search for Justice"
Elizabeth Dennehy to Alan Arkin in "Gattaca"
Alan Arkin to Bill Campbell in "The Rocketeer"
Bill Campbell to Roddy in "Jungle Book II"

--Mel

Subject: Re: ... And An Ape There

Did you all notice the miss spelling of Roddy's last name?????

--joni

In a message dated 8/19/1998 8:05:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time, rmgroup@juno.com writes:

<<
For a rare look at the making of the movies, including home movies by Cornelius himself, Hollywood Real-to-Reel presents "Behind the Planet of the Apes." Our September Star of the Month is Roddy McDowell. And, in a really daring taunt to the Ape Kingdom, we've arranged for zoos across the land to fix up their apes' cages with cable so they too can watch the AMC Planet of the Apes Marathon.

> PAUL challenged:
> > Who can do Brian Denahy to RM putting Alan Arkin in the middle??
>
> Brian Dennehy to Elizabeth Dennehy in "Jack Reed: A Search for Justice"
> Elizabeth Dennehy to Alan Arkin in "Gattaca"
> Alan Arkin to Bill Campbell in "The Rocketeer"
> Bill Campbell to Roddy in "Jungle Book II"

         Good job Mel! Got one for me?
Say, no one is cheating by going to the connection website, are they?
Paul Worley

Subject: New Ape stuff

         There's a new CD by the group They Might Be Giants titled Severe Tire Damage. It lists only 17 songs, but there are actually 24. The last 7 songs are dedicated to the Planet of the Apes!
         I haven't listened to it yet, but it's being reviewed by SonicNet Online Magazine. With the review there's an article with the ape tie-ins and has an interview by you're truely.
         I can't be sure of the posting date, but you can check the web site often at:
www.sonicnet.com/

Paul Worley

Subject: ET

Did anyone see the segment on the Apes and Roddy on Entertainment Tonight last night? It would have been Tues. Aug. 18th. I taped it. It was great.
KYOKO

Subject: Double Exposure: #5?

Hey out there --------

Long time, no write. You guys are just blowing me away with your "six degrees" - and I thought I was pretty good at McDowall trivia.

For what it's worth about RM in The Poseidon Adventure - I think his character died when he hit the boiling water down below. I remember I was about 7 or 8 when that movie came out and I cried and cried - no amount of sympathy from my parents could shut me up.

But now to my question: Does anyone know when Double Exposure: Take Five is coming out? I thought someone said it would be coming out this fall, but I called William Morrow Publishing yesterday and they don't have it in there catalog for either fall or spring. What gives?

Lisa

Subject: ... An Ape Everywhere

Excerpt from http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/071598/dsr_0715TVPr.html:

McDowall appeared as the ape Cornelius in three of the films and as benevolent leader Caesar in the last. This was after some serious initial reservations about the makeup and his claustrophobia.

McDowall said he went to the zoo to observe the monkeys, which turned out to be pointless. Ultimately, he found his inspiration in Groucho Marx and decided it was partly a matter of posture and partly what went on beneath the makeup. "It was dead on the face unless you did something bizarre underneath."

--Mel

JONI asked:
> Did you all notice the miss spelling of Roddy's last name?????

Are you kidding? Do you know how many names I enter when I'm doing one of my web searches? In Infoseek, I look for:

Roddy McDowall
Roddy McDowell
Roddy MacDowall
Roddy MacDowell
and believe me, I get hits for every variation! BTW, I don't even bother to look anymore for cases where there's only *one* "L" in the last name.

Which is why I love using Alta Vista and Deja News -- their power searches allow boolean ANDs and ORs as well as wild cards.

--Mel

Subject: mother

         Check out the movie Mother (1996) with Albert Brooks and Debbie Renyolds. It's about a sci-fi writer that moves back into his mother's house after his second divorce.
         There's a scene where he is remaking his bedroom and hangs up two posters. One is 2001, the other is PLANET OF THE APES!
         Cool, huh???

Paul Worley

> > JONI asked:
> > Did you all notice the miss spelling of Roddy's last name?????
> Are you kidding? Do you know how many names I enter when I'm doing one
> of my web searches? In Infoseek, I look for:
>
>         Roddy McDowall
>         Roddy McDowell
>         Roddy MacDowall
>         Roddy MacDowell

Don't forget my fave... Rody with one 'd'.
BTW, Joni, do YOU have a spell checker? :)
Paul Worley

Subject: You're invited!

Hello!

You have been invited by ntlelmbrt to join the listed Yahoo! Club named "Roddy McDowall Forum".

To become a member of this club, just go to the Web address below:
http://edit.clubs.yahoo.com/config/sjg?.i=roddymcdowallforum&.a=i&

You need to go to the address above to join the club, but you can take a look at the club by going to: http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/roddymcdowallforum

You can learn more about ntlelmbrt by looking at the Yahoo! Public Profile:
http://profiles.yahoo.com/ntlelmbrt

A Yahoo! Club is a great way to bring friends, family or anyone you know together using the latest in Web technologies. Club members are able to take advantage of a club's private chat room, message boards and other features. You can also create your own free club focused on any interest, such as hobbies, families and industry associations.

Clubs are either listed or unlisted. Listed clubs are available to the public while unlisted clubs are available exclusively to those who receive invitations.

If you have no interest in joining this club, there is no need to do for you to do anything. You will not be enrolled as a member.

Thanks,

The Yahoo! Clubs team
http://clubs.yahoo.com/

P.S. If you need some help on getting started, go to:

http://help.yahoo.com/help/clubs/

Subject: Roddy McDowall Forum on Yahoo

Hello!

For the fun of it I started a RM club on yahoo. I sent an invite to the group but I have no idea what the darn things says. But I thought it might be fun because it has a chat room and a posting board. If you wanted to we could have chats after roddy movies on tv or meet to discuss anything you wanted. I think you do have to become a member of Yahoo which is free and only takes a couple of minutes. Plus you can get free e-mail--should anyone want a second e-mail address for any reason (i love it because I can get mail from the internet anywhere rather than especially being at home or at work-it is helpful on vacations!)

I hope I didn't annoy anyone with this e-mail or the invite e-mail but I don't really know anyone to well and this might help. (If you join I hope your first post might be an small introduction since I haven't been in the Musgrave Foundation loop that long. Plus tell what your favorite RM movie/photograh is and maybe how long you have been a fan.)

~jennifer

> > > Did you all notice the miss spelling of Roddy's last name?????
> > Are you kidding? Do you know how many names I enter when I'm
> > doing one of my web searches? In Infoseek, I look for:
> >
> >         Roddy McDowall
> >         Roddy McDowell
> >         Roddy MacDowall
> >         Roddy MacDowell
>
> Don't forget my fave... Rody with one 'd'.

I just found this one in a newsgroup posting: "Roddy Mac Dowell". That's right, there's a space in between Mac and Dowell.

--Mel

Subject: Thief of Baghdad

Found this in Deja News. Can anyone confirm if it is indeed Marina Sirtis in Thief of Baghdad?

--Mel

========================

Email:    jelemold@ozemail.com.au
Date:    1995/11/20
Forums:    rec.arts.startrek.current

Hey, has anybody seen that wonderful movie Thief of Bagdad? The one made in 1978 with Peter Ustinov? I was watching the other day (lovely Sunday afternoon tele) when I noticed that in the Cave of Indescribable Pleasures was one Councellor Troy. Yes, she was one of the Indescribable Pleasures. At least she was to Rody McDowell. Just though you'd like to know.

I know, I know I saw that after I mailed it. SORRY !!!!!!!!

--joni

The Musgrave Foundation wrote:

> I know, I know I saw that after I mailed it. SORRY !!!!!!!!
>
> --joni

Ack! I should think so! Now you gotta type his name out 100 times until it's habit. (Just kidding, actually that was hilarious. I had just gotten through all the E-mails complaining about the spellings before I hit yours. If you hadn't apologized, I would have thought you did it on purpose!) I just finished watching The Greatest Story Ever Told (the whooole thing). Did anyone else laugh their heads off when Jesus first meets Roddy and says, "I come here in the company of my Father", and Roddy starts looking all over the place to see who he's talking about? That was great!

Kari

Subject: Re: Thief of Baghdad

> Found this in Deja News. Can anyone confirm if it is indeed Marina
> Sirtis in Thief of Baghdad?

         She is according to the Internet Movie database. Been a while since i saw it on tv and don't remember much about the minor characters.

Paul Worley

Ah The Greatest Story Ever Told. Even in a biblical epic Roddy gets to play a villain. He is the tax collector right? Good role, I liked the goatee.

Sue

Well, i have a tape of the movie, I'll check it out next time I watch it.

Lady Mara

Subject: Fox POTA website

You have got to have a look at it! The URL is http://www.foxhome.com/planetoftheapes/

-Mel

         Hey group!!!

         The new POTA videos are almost in the stores. Some promotional items have already come in, giving you all a chance to get some RM stuff!! I've seen a 3-sided mobile with Zira, Zaius, and Cornelius and a pin with Cornelius. I have my pin, and my name is on the mobiles.
         Hope you all get yours soon too!! Good luck!!!

-paul

Subject: Star Galaxy website

There are new images (from "Confirm or Deny", "Pied Piper" and "Thunderhead: Son of Flicka") at Star Galaxy's RM page (http://www.stargalaxy.com/img_page/IG/0/1/4/8/index.html).

--Mel

I'm kind of disappointed that I couldn't get any of my stuff to y'all. I was out of the loop after my surgery and must have missed the chance.

As for how Acres died, I always figured that he hit his head or got sucked into one of the shafts since Rogo couldn't find him when he went after him. The water couldn't have been boiling, otherwise Borgnine would have cooked, too.

Beth

Subject: Special POTA screening at AMPAS on Aug 27

Tuesday August 25, 10:44 pm Eastern Time
Company Press Release

ADVISORY/Apes Invade Los Angeles When
Twentieth Century Fox and AMC
Commemorate the 30th Anniversary of
"Planet of the Apes"

--(ENTERTAINMENT WIRE)--

WHAT:        Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment and American
             Movie Classics celebrate the 30th anniversary of the
             smash-hit sci-fi film "Planet of the Apes," by hosting a
             special commemorative screening of the original film and
             reception.

WHO:         The star-studded screening will be attended by actors
             from "Planet of the Apes," including Charlton Heston
             ("Taylor"), Roddy McDowall ("Cornelius"), Kim Hunter
             ("Zira") and more. Authentic, life-like "Apes" in
             costumes modeled after the original, ground-breaking
             costumes from the movie will invade the screening,
             arriving in limousines. One-of-a-kind memorabilia such
             as the original costumes from the movie will be on
             display.

WHY:         In August, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
             releases on video for a limited time "The Planet of the
             Apes Collector's Edition" fully restored and
             THX-certified for the first time, which includes all
             five of the "Apes" series.

             In September, American Movie Classics presents all five
             "Apes" movies and the premiere of the two-hour original
             special, "Behind the Planet of the Apes," hosted by
             "Apes" star Roddy McDowall. The special features
             exclusive behind-the-scenes footage, screen tests,
             photographs and home movies of the historic making of
             Hollywood's first cinematic sequels, as well as
             interviews with the filmmakers and several cast members.

CELEBRITIES: Among those expected to attend are Michael Keaton, Penny
             Marshall, Jon Lovitz, Andy Dick ("News Radio"), Michael
             Bergin ("Baywatch"), Loretta Devine ("Waiting to
             Exhale"), Angelina Jolie ("Playing God"), David Alan
             Grier ("In Living Color"), Allison Eastwood ("Midnight
             in the Garden of Good and Evil"), Dana Gould (MTV),
             Catherine Bell ("J.A.G.") and Corey Page ("Dead Man on
             Campus").

WHEN:        Thursday, Aug. 27
             Arrivals begin at 6:45 p.m.
             Screening begins at 7:30 p.m.

WHERE:       Samuel Goldwyn Theater
             Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences
             8949 Wilshire Blvd.
             Los Angeles

             MEDIA COVERAGE IS INVITED.

Contact:

     American Movie Classics
     Katrina Sutton Gilpatric, 310/998-9310
                or
     Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
     Rick Rhoades, 310/369-1590
                or
     Bender, Goldman & Helper
     Deanne Arritt, 310/473-4147

--Mel

Subject: RM to visit Bronx Zoo on Aug 31

Wednesday August 26, 5:24 pm Eastern Time
Company Press Release
ADVISORY/Media Alert for Monday, August 31

In celebration of the 30th Anniversary of the smash hit sci-fi film
"Planet of the Apes," "Apes" star Roddy McDowall visits Western
lowland gorillas at the Bronx Zoo.

--(ENTERTAINMENT EDITORS)-- WHAT: Original "Apes" star Roddy McDowall
will visit 20 endangered Western lowland gorillas at the Bronx Zoo
including Timmy, Ngoma, Tambo and the rare twins (the only twin
gorillas living together in captivity in the world!)

WHY: AMERICAN MOVIE CLASSICS and Twentieth Century Fox Home Video
celebrate the 30th Anniversary of the legendary film THE PLANET OF
THE APES by partnering with the Bronx Zoo to call attention to the
plight of the endangered species of the Western lowland gorillas.

     AMC will be adopting the species and providing funds for the
care and feeding of the Bronx Zoo gorillas and their gorilla project
in Rwanda.  AMC also celebrates the anniversary on-air, Labor Day
Weekend September 6 & 7, by airing all 5 "Apes" films and an original
2-hour documentary, BEHIND THE PLANET OF THE APES hosted by Roddy
McDowall.

WHO: Roddy McDowall and Bronx Zoo Curator, James Doherty

WHERE: The Bronx Zoo's Great Ape Exhibit. Please enter through the
Rainey Gate (Fordham Road exit -- 7W off the Bronx River Parkway,
take ramp on right, at light turn left onto Southern Blvd., at next
light turn left onto Fordham Road East. At following light, turn
right into the Rainey Gate entrance).

WHEN: Monday, August 31 at 9:15 AM

Presentation will be at 9:30 AM

YOUR COVERAGE IS INVITED

Contact:

     American Movie Classics
     Jennifer Pav, 516/396-4354
           or
     Bronx Zoo
     Linda Corcoran, 718/220-5197

--Mel

On Sept 18 (Friday) at 8:00 Eastern, A&E will show the Andy Griffith bio in its Biography program. Maybe they won't cut out his interview this time, like they did with the Audrey Hepburn and Henry Fonda bios. Hmm, if Roddy's interview is cut out of the televised version but retained in the video version of a biography, do I include it in his credits? Opinions, anyone?

--Mel

Subject: RM as AMC Star of the Month

Have a look at the AMC website:
http://www.amctv.com/dressing_rooms/index.html

Very *very* nice photo.

--Mel

Subject: Re: RM TV Guide

> Hmm, if Roddy's interview is cut out of the televised version
> but retained in the video version of a biography, do I include it in
> his credits? Opinions, anyone?
> --Mel

sounds legit to me to include it. after all, the videos exist and are available for sale.
-- scott

RM Tribute: Frames | RM Tribute: No Frames | Contact Us | Musgrave Foundation