RMGROUP mail
December 1998

Subject: Mr Soil bio

http://www.ohio.com/justgo/bugslife/bios/mcdowall.htm
Roddy McDowall Biography

Roddy McDowall (Mr. Soil) passed away in October and leaves behind an incredible legacy of diverse and memorable film, television and stage performances. In "A Bug's Life" he gives voice to a pompous and somewhat dramatic ant who serves on the colony's ruling council.

In an interview earlier this year, the actor likened his role in "A Bug's Life" to working in radio. "It's an entirely different acting experience and great fun," said McDowall. "I love to do books on tape and animated voices possibly because they're larger than life. It is very creative work."

He added, "With all animated characters, it's fascinating to see the artist's interpretation of your character. It's a very different emotion. It's like going from the outside in. It's similar in a way to when I played the ape in 'Planet of the Apes.' Seeing the physical solution in the mirror was astonishing in the same way that seeing a drawing of what you are going to be is exhilarating."

Born in London, McDowall made his film debut at age 8 in "Murder in the Family" with Jessica Tandy and Glynis Johns. With the advent of WWII, McDowall's mother moved him and his sister to the U.S. in 1940. Settling in Hollywood, producers were impressed with his innocent face and precise diction, and he was immediately put under contract at 20th Century Fox. He was first cast in Fritz Lang's "Man Hunt" starring Walter Pidgeon. From there he went on to star in John Ford's Oscar-winning film "How Green Was My Valley," which brought him critical acclaim and public accolades. Loaned to MGM in 1943, he and young actress Elizabeth Taylor became friends while filming the classic "Lassie Come Home."

In the '50s he embarked on a stage career. His first appearance was in "Young Woodley" in 1953. He was then signed for the New York City Center Theatre revival of "Misalliance," which he followed up with key stage roles in "No Time for Sergeants," "A Handful of Fire," "Compulsion" and "Look After Lulu." At the same time, he appeared in live TV series such as "Campbell Playhouse," "The Alcoa Hour" and "Ponds Theater." He crowned his transition period onto the stage with both a Tony Award, for his role in "The Fighting Cock," and an Emmy for his role in NBC's "Night Without Honor."

He worked continually for more than 60 years, giving performances in noted motion pictures as "The Longest Day," "Cleopatra," "The Greatest Story Ever Told," "That Darn Cat," "The Loved One," "Funny Lady" and four of the "Planet of the Apes" films.

Even during his whirlwind professional period, McDowall indulged his photography hobby. He became one of the first and most acclaimed chroniclers of his profession. In 1968, his star portraits were published as Double Exposure. A fourth edition has since been published in 1993. His photography was celebrated in 1995 at New York's Nikon House Gallery.

In September of this year, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced that it was naming its photo archive after him.
--Mel

Subject: Holiday in Mexico

Holiday in Mexico is easy to get. Critics choice video has it. They also have a web site: www.ccvideo.com.

TO Benita: I'm the one who wanted Shock Treatment. Can you help?

Joanne Cursinella

Subject: RM reads Stories of Poe admirer

Monica; I have the album of "Roddy Mcdowall Reads The Horror Stories of H.P. Lovecraft" Lovecraft was a great admirer of Poe. Is this sort of close?
Ginny

Subject: Re: RM catalogue

Hi Paige-Marie, Yes you certainly can, please send me your full address and name for my list.

If my computer had not gone down it would have been completed by now. I did'nt realize how much stuff I had on Roddy or articles etc. With Christmas and everything it will probably be finished by January.

When I statred reading and looking at them it brought back memories of him (of course, I started crying thinking about this special wonderful human being) I don't think I'll ever get over his passing! He will always be in my heart.

I am also an artist like Mel and did some drawings and paintings of Roddy years ago. Anyway anything you are interested in just send me a line.

Barb

Subject: Re: Readin the guide

Oops.... I always forget the most important part... It's Fantastic Alice: New Stories from Wonderland edited by Margaret Weis. Even if you've never read Alice in Wonderland, and even if you don't think buying a whole book is worth getting only one story, the other stories are MARVELOUS.

Monica

Knowing what I do now about the type of person that Roddy was, I suspect that had he known I was skipping class to watch him he would have sternly (but gently) told me to get back to school where I belonged.

Cheryl

Speaking of Alice and Wonderland, everybody see the live version with Roddy as the March Hare? I loved that show as a kid.
Kari

> hmmm... yet another coincidence.... I've got a book with stories
> inspired by "Alice in Wonderland". One of the stories, intitles
> "Hollywood Squares", contains a character who is as much like
> Roddy as the author dared make him and still fit him in the story.
>
> Monica

> Can I get on that list??
> Paige-Marie

Yeah! Me Too!!!!

Paul Worley

My sister & I were lucky. Hollywood Squares aired in the evening in our town, and was part of my family's daily regimin anyway. Whenever it started and the announcer announced his name & showed that he was going to be on, my sister & I would squeal & I would race to the telephone as if it were an emergency & call my 5th grade teacher (I was still in the 5th grade) to tell my beloved teacher she HAD to put on Hollywood Squares right away! When I had come back from seeing him, live, that year, in Charley's Aunt, on a trip to the BIG CITY (Seattle) she had gotten all excited & said "I'm his number one fan!" So I had no choice but to call my teacher at home. Looking back, she was amazingly patient with me.

-Kathy

Subject: Re: Roddy pictures with his family

> Hi Suzanne,
> You probably heard mention in the other emails about my catalog.
> Well they are all listed in there.
> Years ago I had a friend in the movie theatre business who had a
> friend who worked in a film still shop. Well one day I wrote to the
> friend who owned the store and asked him to send anything on Roddy
> McDowall.
> Well he did. Most were the usually stills from movies, etc. but in
> there were some gems. Like ones with him and his family at home
> (more personal) you know. Don't know were he got them. Anyway some
> years after that I was trading with other people in different
> countries, and being new at the game and trusting people I set some
> to a person in England to look at them and copy them .But I never got
> them back. Lucky I didn't send them all. Also have some personal
> ones of back stage at Charlie's Aunty with Vincent Price and signing
> autographs. If you are curious about the full extent of my photo and
> memorabilia collection on Roddy would you like a catalog when I have
> completed it?
> Barb

Barb, Definitely yes! Let me know when it is completed. Sorry to hear those photos were not returned to you.. Suzanne.

> I take the TV Guide from front to back in search for Roddy's
> show's. Since I was a kid in fact! It's so funny to know that
> someone else does the same!

Yep, add me to the list. I was pleasantly surprised to see how many of his movies where being shown steadily. Now I just need cable.
Christina-Paige

Subject: Re: The coincidence is unbearable...

Um, is this like the steps thing Monica? 'Cause I can do that, I think. Edgar Allen Poe wrote the Raven, Vincent Price starred in the movie the Fall of the House of Usher, (and the Raven, and Pit and the Pendulum), and Roddy was in Keys of the Kingdom with Vincent Price. Best I can do! I don't think Roddy's done any voice overs for Poe books, but I have no idea.
Kari

> May I suggest a game now: The person to find a way Roddy McDowall
> is connected to Edgar Allan Poe in the shortest way gets this neat
> little picture-thingee I found online!!
> Monica

> May I suggest a game now: The person to find a way Roddy McDowall
> is connected to Edgar Allan Poe in the > shortest way gets this
> neat little picture-thingee I found online!!

         Here Monica...
         Is this what you wanted? RM starred with Vincent Price in Scavenger Hunt. VP played in Poe's movie adaptation of the Raven. I connected in two. Do I win?

Paul Worley

Subject: Re: my new movie finds!

Ah ha! Black mail! I love it, Benita! You're so evil. Yes, if I get the chance to tape it for myself, I'll throw in a copy for you. I didn't get to this weekend, but I know which video place carries it now, so I'll get it when I have the chance. Oh yes. It shall be mine. Have any of you seen it? It is so good (if you fast forward the women's singing. Egad.) They show a brief little clip of it on his bio, where they are trying to get into the restaurant. ("Quick! Act older!") Kari

> Kari, if you have "Holiday In Mexico" you had better pirate it.
> It is REALLY hard to find. I have looked everywhere for it. I've
> never even seen it, when it was on TV it was always some station I
> did not get. Didn't you say you wanted a copy of "Shock
> Treatment"? Which I just happen to have. Get the picture?? Benita

Subject: Re: Showing our age!

Benita & Frankie.
         I vaguely remember that commercial as well. They didn't play it for long as I recall. I just turned 40 too! With the exception of a few Musgravians, we are all in the 38-40 range. Isn't that odd?
         Perhaps it was the influence from Lord Love A Duck from 70's. Roddy was really captivating in that film. You think? Lorraine

> Frankie, since I had admitted earlier I turned 40 this summer, I
> figured I had nothing to loose with asking everyone if they
> remembered that commerical. Benita

Subject: holiday!

Just watched Holiday in Mexico, and looooovved it! Its now up there with my all time favorite Roddy pics! Any of you who haven't seen it, run out and find it right now. He is absolutely hilarious in it, and yes, he is 18 I think (looks a lot younger, but this is Roddy we're talking about.) Great show. Saw Laserblast too. Uh... Roddy was good in it! For the brief time he's in it. The rest of the show could've been edited by 1 hour and 45 minutes. ;)
Kari

Subject: a mention

Here is a URL to a page that mentions Roddy very briefly, it may not even be worth your time, but it made me feel a pang when I saw it. (when you get there, scroll down to number K.)

http://lcweb.loc.gov/film/members.html

Joni

> I journeyed over to a new video store this morning on my way home,
> and discovered they had Roddy movies I couldn't find before! Yay!
> I rented The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean, Laserblast (which
> looks like a real ly high-budgeted pic! ;), and Holiday in Mexico,
> which I just might have to pirate. What was Roddy in Holiday? 18?
> Just a pup! Anyway, I have something to do now while I'm snowed
> in and freezing. Canada just got a first taste of winter, and it
> is damn cold right now! Kari

Kari Yes he was in Hoilday in Mexico. It was Jane Powell's 1st big film. Roddy stars with his How green was my valley co-star Walter Pidgeon.
stephanie Loomis

Subject: The coincidence is unbearable...

> May I suggest a game now: The
> person to find a way Roddy McDowall is connected to Edgar Allan
> Poe in the shortest way gets this neat little picture-thingee I
> found online!!
>
> Monica

Monica, Monica, Monica, I can name that connection in two degrees. Roddy starred in "Scavenger Hunt" with Vincent Price. Vincent Price starred in "The Oblong Box", based on a Poe story. Benita

Subject: The Big Picture

There's a photo of RM from The Big Picture in http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/babyrain/scbp.html

--Mel

Or closer to 50 like me (48).
Kyoko

> I vaguely remember that commercial as well. They didn't play it
> for long as I recall. I just turned 40 too! With the exception of
> a few Musgravians, we are all in the 38-40 range. Isn't that odd?
> Lorraine

Subject: Re: Roddy's pic of Jimmy

There is a picture in DE, Take II of Mr. Stewart and a note from Carol Burnett...no listing for pictures in DE, Takes II or IV, and I do not know about revision of DE, as in storage.

Mr. Stewaris photographed from the left in front of framed picture(blurred). Is this the one???

Teresa

> Jimmy Stewart. Saw a reprint of a pic of Mr. Stewart taken by
> Roddy. Does anyone know if it's from one of Roddy's DE books or
> another sourch. I got DE 4 and it's not in there. I would be
> thankful for any help. HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL
>
> DELOOMIS

I'll confess now, I did that, too. I don't think anyone else in the house got to even see the TV guide.
Kyoko

> I take the TV Guide from front to back in search for Roddy's
> show's. Since I was a kid in fact! It's so funny to know that
> someone else does the same!

Barb, I would like a catalog, too.
Kyoko

Subject: Re: holiday!

> Just watched Holiday in Mexico, and looooovved it! Its now up
> there with my all time favorite Roddy pics! Any of you who haven't
> seen it, run out and find it right now. He is absolutely hilarious
> in it, and yes, he is 18 I think (looks a lot younger, but this is
> Roddy we're talking about.) Great show. Saw Laserblast too. Uh...
> Roddy was good in it! For the brief time he's in it. The rest of
> the show could've been edited by 1 hour and 45 minutes. ;) Kari

         Kari, soooo, you rented 'Holiday In Mexico'. uh, hem...(cough-cough)...well??? Benita

> Ah ha! Black mail! I love it, Benita! You're so evil. Yes, if I
> get the chance to tape it for myself, I'll throw in a copy for you.
> I didn't get to this weekend, but I know which video place carries
> it now, so I'll get it when I have the chance. Oh yes. It shall
> be mine. Have any of you seen it? It is so good (if you fast
> forward the women's singing. Egad.) They show a brief little clip
> of it on his bio, where they are trying to get into the restaurant.
> ("Quick! Act older!")
> Kari
>
> > Kari, if you have "Holiday In Mexico" you had better pirate it.
> > It is REALLY hard to find. I have looked everywhere for it. I've
> > never even seen it, when it was on TV it was always some station I
> > did not get. Didn't you say you wanted a copy of "Shock
> > Treatment"? Which I just happen to have. Get the picture?? Benita

         Kari, blackmail? Who said anything about "blackmail"? I prefer "negotiated", has a much nicer ring to it, don't you think??? Benita

> Musgravians, we are all in the 38-40 range. Isn't that odd?
> Perhaps it was the influence from Lord Love A Duck from 70's.
> Roddy was really captivating in that film. You think?
> Lorraine

Yes. It is interesting to see that LLaD affected many RM fans, somehow. It was the film that stood out the most to me - in terms of watching Roddy in action - but I can't put my finger on *why*. I recently wrote to an e-mail pal and mentioned my grief over Roddy's death. He wrote back stating his appreciation for Roddy too and added, "My favorite movie of his is Lord Love a Duck." Amazing. What *is* it about this film?

Frankie (PS: you can buy LLaD via Reel.com at not too bad a price. I did.)

Subject: Re: still no excuse

> Our little thrice-weekly paper in the neighborhood of the original
> "Camp Swampy" (Ft. Stewart, GA- the guy who draws Beetle Bailey
> was stationed here during WWII) ran an article on "A Bug's Life"
> and it did mention Roddy as the voice of Mr. Soil. I need to make
> sure that my roommate did not drop it into the recycle bin. If it
> is still availble, I'll type it up if y'all want.
>
> Beth

I finally found the darned thing last night and am typing it up. It is mainly about Pixar and their "epic." It is kind of long and only mentions Roddy briefly, but indicates something I hadn't seen elsewhere. Am typing it up now and will try to get out tomorrow.

Ft. Stewart is just south of Savannah, off I-95. Such a charming place- more convenience stores & pawn shops per capita than anywhere else in the world :-)
Beth

Subject: RM in TV Guide

There's a half page tribute to Roddy in the new TV Guide with a nice picture that I would date from the early 90's.

Cheryl

Subject: Photo at BU plus another tribute

There's a photo of Roddy and Bette Davis visiting Boston U at http://software2.bu.edu/bridge/1998-11-20/yesterday.html

The tribute is from http://www.drwill.com/dead.htm.

--Mel

Roddy McDowall

From Lassie to Planet of the Apes, Roddy's unique voice is remembered by millions.

Most famous for his role as Dr. Cornelius in Planet of the Apes, Roddy McDowall is perhaps best remembered for his highly distinctive voice and manner of speech. With a voice that was somewhat high- pitched, he spoke with a slight British accent and flawless enunciation. As soon as he opened his mouth, it seemed obvious that he was the most learned person in the room. But the octave also gave it a childlike quality that was in vivid contrast to his adult, sophisticated speech. That’s what made him so memorable as an ape. He brought to life the fantasy that although we see primates as inferior to us, we can't help but notice the great physical similarities. The idea of a primitive beast infused with high intelligence touches us deeply, because this is how we sometimes see ourselves. Like Roddy’s character, the primate scientist Dr. Cornelius, we cry out "I may appear to you as a brute creature; you might judge me to be uncivilized by my outer appearance. But I caution you against so easily dismissing me. Listen to the sound of my words. I might be hairier and have ruder personal hygiene, but my command of language far exceeds yours. I may have a smaller skull, yet my vocabulary shames you. In fact, despite your outer appearance, it is actually you who are the beast."

> Monica, Monica, Monica, I can name that connection in two
> degrees. Roddy starred in "Scavenger Hunt" with Vincent Price.
> Vincent Price starred in "The Oblong Box", based on a Poe story.
> Benita

Once again, close but there IS ashorter one!

Monica

That old? Not me!!! I'm 14 [but a lot more mature ;-) ]
Monica

> Musgravians, we are all in the 38-40 range. Isn't that odd?
> Lorraine

Well then you have it! Isn't wonderful that no matter how diversified we are by way of opinions and lifestyles we can all unite as friends because of our attachment to Roddy? We are made up of conservatives and liberals, men and women and yet we have had the same annoying habit, (to our families), the last few decades all over the nation. It goes to show you that we aren't all that differant. And more importantly Roddy's friendship legacy remains alive in us. We could not have given him a better gift. Lorraine

Sorry, there IS shorter way!!! But that's very very good...

Monica

> Um, is this like the steps thing Monica? 'Cause I can do that, I
> think. Edgar Allen Poe wrote the Raven, Vincent Price starred in
> the movie the Fall of the House of Usher, (and the Raven, and Pit
> and the Pendulum), and Roddy was in Keys of the Kingdom with
> Vincent Price. Best I can do! I don't think Roddy's done any
> voice overs for Poe books, but I have no idea.
> Kari

Subject: farewells in new TVGuide

Hi y'all!

Laura the extremely quiet one here again.

I saw the new edition of TV Guide today, and it had its tribute to those stars who have left us. No pic of RM on the cover, but it said his name towards the upper right hand corner down the right side of the page in the border. There is a pic and a brief blurb inside, though. I think it's a red smoking jacket that he's wearing - very suave, as we all know RM was.

Happy holiday season to all!

:-) Laura in NC

> Speaking of Alice and Wonderland, everybody see the live version
> with Roddy as the March Hare? I loved that show as a kid.
>
> Kari

YES!!!! I love that! He looks so cute as a rabbit... er... *hare*. Too bad the other guy gets to do the song.

Monica

> Hehheehehehee. I thought I was the only fruit-loop who did that.
> Thanks for makin' me feel sane, or at least not alone in my
> insanity. ;) *wink* It was my weekly ritual with the TV guide
> when I was young. And each week it seemed to never fail that ya'd
> find *at least* one movie he'd be in. And if a film I hadn't seen
> yet was airing during school hours, I would stay home sick.
> (Thermometer under the light-bulb, phony cough, whatever it took) :)
>
> Frankie

Thermometer under the light bulb? Thanks, I'll add that to my list of ways I can get out of taking geometry tests....er.....nevermind!!!! ;-)

Monica [Hey! I'm only 14!!]

I have never even seen Lord Love a Duck. It was on once late at night years ago, and I fell asleep waiting for it.

joni

> Is this what you wanted? RM starred with Vincent Price in
> Scavenger Hunt. VP played in Poe's movie adaptation of the Raven.
> I connected in two. Do I win?
>
> Paul Worley

That's the shorted yet (I'm not through reading all these things], but I do have a shorter one (Hint: it doesn't involve which actor did what].

Monica

Subject: Happy Holidays without our RM

I've seen "Holiday in Mexico" many moons ago. It's an enjoyable film. Has anyone read the story from Diana Serra Cary on "The Lasting Legacy of Roddy McDowall?". I found it to be thoroughly enjoyable in that it touched on a different angle of RM life that you don't normally read about in the on-line biographies, etc. You know, all this tribute stuff in the media makes me feel the realization that RM is really gone. I can't wait to get to LA in January because I feel like I might find some kind of closure with his death. I have an itinerary which of course will include the Margaret Herrick Library among other things. Happy Christmas to all and a Merry New Year! Suzanne in Boston...

Well Monica, I'm only 36, but I've been following Roddy's career since I was younger than you are.

Cheryl

> That old? Not me!!! I'm 14 [but a lot more mature ;-) ]
> Monica

I love that little argument he does at the end, though, with the Mad Hatter where they argue "I didn't! You did!" back and forth. Cute buck teeth, Roddy!
Kari

> Speaking of Alice and Wonderland, everybody see the live version
> with Roddy as the March Hare? I loved that show as a kid.

Just wanted to wsh everyone a joyous holiday season and he happiest of New Years! Discovering this group has been one of the nicest things that has happened for me this year. You all are terrific people,what a wonderful legacy for Roddy. Thanks for all the great Christmas cards! BTW, I just turned 39 this year and I too must confess to reading the ol' TV Guide cover to cover every week. Even staying home from school on occasion. Just add me to that list , along with the one of people who , in the 70's , used to go into bookstores and reading only the Roddy pages of Elizabeth Taylor's bios! Yes friends, we do have alot in common!
Take care everyone, Janet C

I never put the thermometer under the lightbulb, but I tended to have a lot of nauseus stomachs whenever Roddy was on Hollywood Squares. Gee, I had forgotten about that!
Tam

> There is a picture in DE, Take II of Mr. Stewart and a note from
> Carol Burnett...no listing for pictures in DE, Takes II or IV, and
> I do not know about revision of DE, as in storage.
>
> Mr. Stewaris photographed from the left in front of framed
> picture(blurred). Is this the one???
>
> Teresa
>
> > > Jimmy Stewart. Saw a reprint of a pic of Mr. Stewart taken by
> > > Roddy. Does anyone know if it's from one of Roddy's DE books or
> > > another sourch. I got DE 4 and it's not in there. I would be
> > > thankful for any help. HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL
> > >
> > > DELOOMIS <DELOOMIS@Prodigy.Net>

Teresa

I don't know. I think the reprint was with one of Mr Dowall's obits Thank you for the clue. Thanks to all for a great group.
DeLoomis

Subject: Happy Holidays

Since today is the last day to get mailings to the group out, I just wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas. It is too bad we could not have "met" under happier circumstances, but without this group, the last two months would have been even more difficult than they were. Have a safe and happy holiday, and Mel, dearheart, you deserve a break for all your hard work and efforts......Benita

Subject: Re: POTA

Those POTA dolls are everywhere now. They have them here at Hills, Walmart,and Meijers. They are also at Family Toy Warehouse.
Meijers has the Bug's Life beanie type dolls.
Tam

> Thermometer under the light bulb? Thanks, I'll add that to my list
> of ways I can get out of taking geometry
> tests....er.....nevermind!!!! ;-)
>
> Monica [Hey! I'm only 14!!]

My mother (now retired) was a nurse, I seldom succeeded in pretending to be sick! Benita

Subject: Re: Lord Love A Duck!

Joni!
         You must see Lord Love A Duck! That is a must. You could only appreciate our name by watching him play Alan Musgrave! He was really captivating in that film! A real classic. Tuesday Weld was great too!
Lorraine

Subject: Re: Happy Holidays without our RM

> Has anyone read the story from Diana Serra Cary on "The Lasting
> Legacy of Roddy McDowall?". I found it to be thoroughly enjoyable
> in that it touched on a different angle of RM life that you don't
> normally read about in the on-line biographies, etc. You know,
> all this tribute stuff in the media makes me feel the realization
> that RM is really gone. I can't wait to get to LA in January
> because I feel like I might find some kind of closure with his
> death. I have an itinerary which of course will include the
> Margaret Herrick Library among other things.

Suzanne, no I have not read the story "The Last Legacy of Roddy McDowall", but would like to get ahold it. How can I Suzanne? Some day I would like to see the Margaret Herrick Library too! Wonderful. You have a nice Holiday too!
Barb

Sorry Paul, I didn't run down my screen enough, missed you and your message, Yes I will send you a catalog. After Christmas I will be finishing off catalogue. What is your address? Thanks. Barb

Have a nice Christmas!

Really Monica?! You're only fourteen! Alright! That makes me feel a whole lot older at 23. That's really cool that you're a Roddy fan, then! I think a lot of people on this list kinda grew up with Roddy's movies, and were there when they first came out in the sixties and seventies. The only one I remember actually coming out as I was there was Fright Night (which I loved!) I remember being shown That Darn Cat and the Cat From Outer Space as a kid, so I guess his face stuck in my mind until I was old enough to place his name to it. I guess that covers the age spread almost completely then, huh guys?
Kari

Suzanne,
         Where can we find that story bye Dame Serra Cary?

Joni

Monica, The Alice books are two of my all time favourites. Is the book you mentioned old or still in print?
Tam

I don't know about other shows around that time, but Lord Love a Duck is a lot more unusual than any I've seen from then! It's really complex, and disturbing, then funny all at once. It fascinates me trying to figure it out.
Kari

> Musgravians, we are all in the 38-40 range. Isn't that odd? Perhaps
> it was the influence from Lord Love A Duck from 70's. Roddy was
> really captivating in that film. You think? Lorraine

He tended to get typecast playing very dignified characters all the time. I think this film really proved he did have a range. One of the rare chances I've had seeing him do some very physical comedy.

-Kathy, St. Paul, MN

> Musgravians, we are all in the 38-40 range. Isn't that odd? Perhaps
> it was the influence from Lord Love A Duck from 70's. Roddy was
> really captivating in that film. You think? Lorraine

Monica your amazing! I never would have thought you were a teenager! You are certainly very mature. It's really refreshing to have a younger perspective with our group. Lorraine

Subject: Roddy's rose garden

http://www.nypost.com/gossip/travis.htm
NEAL TRAVIS' NEW YORK
December 23, 1998

Roddy's rose garden

ACTOR and friend to everyone Roddy McDowall is gone but not forgotten. The Motion Picture & Television Fund has set up a group called "Roddy's Girls" to create a suitable memorial.

They plan a rose garden at the MPTF home for old actors in L.A.'s Woodland Hills. Roddy was a renowned rose grower and a passionate worker for the assisted-care facility.

"Can you imagine the pleasure it will give us the day we dedicate this special space in the spirit of our generous and caring friend?" asks the solicitation letter. It's a hard one to refuse, given that it's signed by Joan Axelrod, Lauren Bacall, Sybil Christopher and Elizabeth Taylor.

I think I'm in the mood to write another check.

--Mel

Hi guys:

I guess I'm one of the oldies (will be 51 in '99). I've followed him since the mid sixties too. What a productive period for Roddy he was so busy. I am so glad after all these years to find a site like this where no matter what our ages or experiences we have what I call the "RODDY CONNECTION" in common. It is wonderful. Have a nice Christmas all. Barb

> > Monica, Monica, Monica, I can name that connection in two
> > degrees. Roddy starred in "Scavenger Hunt" with Vincent Price.
> > Vincent Price starred in "The Oblong Box", based on a Poe story.
> > Benita
>
> Once again, close but there IS ashorter one!
>
> Monica

I see, the gaunlet has been thrown eh? OK, I love a challenge, I'll be in touch. Benita

> May I suggest a game now: The person to find a way Roddy McDowall
> is connected to Edgar Allan Poe in the shortest way gets this neat
> little picture-thingee I found online!!
>
> Monica

Monica, I have it. Both Edgar Allen Poe and Roderick Andrew Anthony Jude McDowall were of Scotish-Irish ancestory!!!!!!!!! Benita

Monica, how about this one, EAP's wife and Roddy's sister were/are both named Virginia. OK, so now I am reaching, but it is late. and it *does* make a connection. I will try to do better. Benita

Joni, You HAVE to see Lord Love a Duck!It's one of Roddy's best movies,and it's all Roddy all the time. Forget Tuesday Weld. This is Roddy's movie! It's very stange, and very funny.
Tam

The closest I can come is,Vincent Price starred in several movies based on Poe stories, and Roddy starred in a play and appeared on hollywood squares with Vincent.There. Six degrees of Roddy.How's that?
Tam

Subject: Re: farewells in new TVGuide

Hi Laura: I'm in BC here and went out and got a TV Guide: I looked from cover to cover - could not find anything. Also at the back on the very last page they have an article by Brian Hartigan entitled:Final Cutain - Fond Farewell: He missed him entirely. Very upset. Is that just the Canadian version or am I looking in the wrong edition? Has Bart Simpson on cover.

Barb

> I saw the new edition of TV Guide today, and it had its tribute to
> those stars who have left us

Well it's got to be that RM acted in something based on a Poe story or recorded a Poe story. For the life of me though I can't figure out what it is off hand.

Happy Holidays to everyone - whichever your particular holiday might be.

-- Morgan

Amen to your comment on Laserblast!
pamela :-)

> Saw Laserblast too. Uh... Roddy was good in it! For the brief
> time he's in it. The rest of the show could've been edited by 1
> hour and 45 minutes. ;)
> Kari

Ahhhhh! Alright, Monica, give us a hint. Is it a quote from Poe Roddy uses? Is he a long lost descendant of the drunk, schizo writer? This is worse than trying to get hints about Christmas presents! Haven't figured those out either! The suspence is killing me, on both accounts.
Kari

Hey! Benita isn't the only one who wants a copy of Holiday in Mexico! Can you help any of the rest of us poor fools out?
Tam

Subject: Re:crying on cue

Crying on demand isn't hard. I do it sometimes just to freak Ken out. He can't stand it and he starts going,"Oh stop! Stop it! That's not fair! You know how I hate it when you do that!" Then it gets hard to maintain because I start laughing.It's not hard though. Maybe it helps that I cry really easy anyway.You know in "The Muppet Movie"...
Tam

         Me too, Tam. I try to read something to my husband out of Reader's Digest or Guideposts or something and I make sure to read it to myself first so that I won't get emotional, but needless to say I still cry. John says: "Are you crying AGAIN?" and he laughs at me. But I got him to admit once that a lot of times he laughs or he might start crying. It doesn't work with him for arguments, though. DARN.

Joni

Tam,
         I plan on seeing it, as SOON as I can find it. I have heard all about it, and knew Roddy's character's name was Alan Musgrave, but I have just not had the opportunity to see it, YET.

Joni

> Joni, You HAVE to see Lord Love a Duck!It's one of Roddy's best
> movies,and it's all Roddy all the time. Forget Tuesday Weld. This
> is Roddy's movie! It's very stange, and very funny.
> Tam

         Joni, you poor, deprived dear, you've *NEVER* seen 'LORD LOVE A DUCK'?!?!? It is one of Roddy's best. Tuesday makes you want to slap some sense into her for not seeing what was right in front of her. Next time it is on wash some NO-DOZ down with a couple of cups of strong coffee and STAY AWAKE!!!! Benita

Subject: Re: Roddy's rose garden

> Roddy's rose garden
>
> ACTOR and friend to everyone Roddy McDowall is gone but not
> forgotten. The Motion Picture & Television Fund has set up a
> group called "Roddy's Girls" to create a suitable memorial.
>
> They plan a rose garden at the MPTF home for old actors in L.A.'s
> Woodland Hills. Roddy was a renowned rose grower and a passionate
> worker for the assisted-care facility.
>
> "Can you imagine the pleasure it will give us the day we dedicate
> this special space in the spirit of our generous and caring
> friend?" asks the solicitation letter. It's a hard one to refuse,
> given that it's signed by Joan Axelrod, Lauren Bacall, Sybil
> Christopher and Elizabeth Taylor.

> I think I'm in the mood to write another check.
>
> --Mel

Mel, same address as before??? Benita

OH Janet, I DID that too!!! Besides the TV guide I would find biographies and autobiographies and look in the index for a mention of Roddy. I also spent my first year at Jr. college in the library looking him up on microfilm.

joni

> I too must confess to reading the ol' TV Guide cover to cover every
> week. Even staying home from school on occasion. Just add me to
> that list , along with the one of people who , in the 70's , used
> to go into bookstores and reading only the Roddy pages of
> Elizabeth Taylor's bios! Yes friends, we do have alot in common!
> Take care everyone, Janet C

         Janet, not just ET bios, anyone who might have known him well enough to have him mentioned in their bio. You would not believe the people I have found at least a passing mention. Only one negative response, that was in an auto-bio by Eddie Fisher. Eddie felt Roddy (and others) encouraged the affair between Elizbeth and Richard. Which is stupid because he was friends with the Burtons as well as Elizbeth and was hardly the kind of person who would encourage the break-up of two marriages. But anyway, I have done that, (flipped to the index) so often and for so long, it is an automatic response to open to the back and turn to the "M's". Half the time I've done it before I think about it. Benita.

Finally! I'm glad to here someone lives close to me to, i was beginning to feel lonely over here

TCable

Subject: Re: Merry Christmas

Benita, I'll send you a copy of the Famous Monsters mag article the week after Christmas, if you don't mind.

Mel, Thanks for the article on "Roddy's Girls". As much as his friends loved him, I really don't think he'll be forgotten. If they are looking for donations, please let me know.

Everyone have a grand holiday and be safe.

Most Sincerely---Paige-Marie

Subject: Tribute

Did you see this?
--Jeanne

Roddy's Girls' Planning Memorial

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Plans are under way to create a suitable, lasting memorial to actor Roddy McDowall, who died of cancer earlier this year. The New York Post says the Motion Picture and Television Fund has established a group to be in charge of the effort. Unofficially known as "Roddy's Girls," the group includes Elizabeth Taylor, Lauren Bacall, Joan Axelrod and Sybil Christopher. They plan to grow a special rose garden at the MPTF home for old actors in Los Angeles. That would be appropriate since McDowall was an avid rose grower and a passionate worker for the assisted-care facility.

> > Roddy's rose garden
> >
> > ACTOR and friend to everyone Roddy McDowall is gone but not
> > forgotten. The Motion Picture & Television Fund has set up a
> > group called "Roddy's Girls" to create a suitable memorial.
> >
> > They plan a rose garden at the MPTF home for old actors in L.A.'s
> > Woodland Hills. Roddy was a renowned rose grower and a passionate
> > worker for the assisted-care facility.
> >
> > "Can you imagine the pleasure it will give us the day we dedicate
> > this special space in the spirit of our generous and caring
> > friend?" asks the solicitation letter. It's a hard one to refuse,
> > given that it's signed by Joan Axelrod, Lauren Bacall, Sybil
> > Christopher and Elizabeth Taylor.

> > I think I'm in the mood to write another check.
> >
> > --Mel
>
> Mel, same address as before??? Benita

I suppose.

For the benefit of the newcomers, the address is:
Motion Picture & Television Fund Foundation
22212 Ventura Blvd Ste 300
Woodland Hills, CA 91364-9952
That's the address in the donation form/envelope I got from them last month. But in their stationery/letter acknowledging my donation, the zip code is 91364-1530; in their website, the zip is just 91364.

This is the webpage which has a donation form which can be printed and faxed to them:

         http://www.mptvfund.org/foundation/donation.htm

Shall we tell them to notify "Roddy's Girls"? I'll probably enclose a printout of the Neal Travis article.

--Mel

Benita,

That's not exactly what I had in mind, but it's the same idea! Kudos for Benita!!! The answer (cause I'm sick of writing down all these names of people guessing) is that EAP wrote a story that starred a character names Arthur Pym, which was the name of the character Roddy played in The Curse of the Golem!!!!!!

Monica

PS I'll send the little happy-face thingee later so yous all can see it.

> Monica your amazing! I never would have thought you were a
> teenager! You are certainly very mature. It's really refreshing to
> have a younger perspective with our group. Lorraine

Really? Thanks Lorraine. I've actually been a Roddy fan since about 11 or 12...

Moni

Subject: Member TenelKa04@aol.com

Warm welcome and happy holidays to new member, TenelKa04@aol.com

Subject: People Magazine Picture

I just saw the People Magazine Picture of Roddy in their "Tribute" section of this week's issue. Roddy had such a wonderful look on his face when he laughed, and that little quote he said to Shirley Temple was priceless. It got me sad all over again. I still find it amazing how much we can miss someone we never knew (it just felt that way).

Merry Christmas to all, and I hope Roddy is throwing one heck of a party in heaven for the holidays.

Janice

Subject: M. Herrick Library

For anyone who's interested; detailed information on the Margaret Herrick Library can be found at www.oscar.com. The site includes all departments and the person who is in charge of the Special Collections photography section. I didn't see anything pertaining to RM yet... unless I missed it. Suzanne.

Uh oh. The flood gates open, huh? Sure Tam. As soon as I get the chance. I'm going to have to stock up on blank videos quickly! They're going to start charging a tax on blank tapes here in Canada, to pay for all the pirating of commercial material. Accusing us all of theft! Me! Pirate? I'm insulted. As soon as I can get a VCR, some time, and the ambition, I'll give it a go. I've got Benitas somewhere, whats your address Tam? Just send it too prinkj00@uleth.ca
Kari

> Hey! Benita isn't the only one who wants a copy of Holiday in
> Mexico! Can you help any of the rest of us poor fools out? Tam

> That's not exactly what I had in mind, but it's the same idea!
> Kudos for Benita!!! The answer (cause I'm sick of writing down all
> these names of people guessing) is that EAP wrote a story that
> starred a character names Arthur Pym, which was the name of the
> character Roddy played in The Curse of the Golem!!!!!!

         Hey Monica!
         You forgot to mention what the story EAP wrote. What was it??
Paul Worley

Hi Janet,

Yes, I remember being in high school at the time of the Elizabeth and Burton affair. At least I know that there would be something on Roddy in the gossip column etc, because he was their friend, even a mere mention was enough to satisfy my Roddy mania. Anyway like so many others it seems I was not alone in reading the TV Guide and other books (I bought every book that even might have his name mention. How wonderful to know like I said before there are so many of US of out there. In those days I thought I was the only one who did things like that! It is nice to know that we must be quite normal in that anyone who ever seen or met Roddy fell in love with his spirit and being for life. Thanks,
Barb

Alright, I'm guilty of that too. Every bio, I check for his name. Its amazing where he shows up! Don't you hate it when they place the "Mc" names together at the beginning of the "M" section, or the end, instead of in the correct alphabetical order?? I even ran across an official bio that MISPELLED his name! Greatest heresy ever to a Roddy fan! Thats what I think, anyway. Yeah. ;)
Kari

Did a good job with physical comedy in Holiday in Mexico! And he was just a young feller. Check out the scene with the cane in the night club, and the big Arabian guy. Totally funny. Oh, and to Lorraine, I just got a surprise in the mail today! Thanks for the card, babe! I loved it! Happy holidays to you, and your family, and your friends, and neighbors, and grocery clerk, and mechanic, and Hibachi dealer, and window washer street guy... aw heck! Everybody! Merry Christmas Musgravians!
Kari

> He tended to get typecast playing very dignified characters all
> the time. I think this film really proved he did have a range. One
> of the rare chances I've had seeing him do some very physical
> comedy.
>
> -Kathy, St. Paul, MN

Benita,
         Luckily, my Mom was(still is) a Roddy fan too. I didn't miss very often, and did manage to graduate from high school! However, she did have one line that, (sometimes), worked, " You know Roddy would want you to go to school." Up until high school this worked real well, God forbid I should dissapoint him! Mom's know the right buttons to push! Now it's the working world, and thank God for VCR's! Speaking of which, did anyone get Miracle on 34th Street? My VCR went Pfffft! Bah, Humbug! Happy New Year everyone!
Janet C

Mel,
         Thanks for sharing this. Yes, I definitely feel another donation coming on also. Great way to start the new year! Yeah, notifying "Roddy's girls" is a great idea.
         I'm not much of a gardener at all, but when we bought this house two years ago I inherited alot of rose bushes from the the former owner. All of them bloom for awhile and are very pretty, then gradually lose all their blossoms as summer goes on. Except for one, it's right next to the back door. the one friends come in, and blooms constantly. I had an idea this summer to start a little rose garden and plant a rose for different people in my life. You know, mother father, nephews,etc..... The little rose bush that always blooms was named Roddy's Roses. I'm going to keep it right next to the back door, to greet everyone who comes by. Sorry guys, I know that this is very sappy and sentimental, but I got all mushy reading about his memorial garden. On a lighter note, Happy New Year Everyone!
Janet C

Subject: Rose garden and address

Joni and Barb,
         the story by Diana Serra Cary can be found at www.classicimages.com. Look under the Nov. 1998 issue in the past issues section. She also wrote a book called Hollywood's Children that according to the article in Classic Images, RM actually liked.

I am so excited to hear about the Rose Garden. What a great idea. How can we make a contribution to it? Who is heading the "Roddy's Girls" group?

Mel, I will try my best to get the information you requested. Happy Holidays to all.

Suzanne.

Subject: Shock Treatment/T-shirts?

Hi

I am still seeking a copy of Shock Treatment. Would someone who can make a copy of it for me please e-mail me: Jcursine@aol.com.

Also, did I miss any news about the T-shirts? Can anyone tell me when and if they are (will be) ready?

Thanks,

Joanne

Subject: New RM image

In case anybody's interested, I've just uploaded a new file --
http://www.smithway.org/rm/temp/Pinocchio.jpg

--Mel

Subject: First-Time Poster [Bear With Me!]

Hi everyone, [apologies for the length of the post]

I don't know the protocol and procedures for this list yet, so please bear with me. First, I guess I'll tell a smidgen or two about myself. :)

I'm from Alabama and I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the youngest person on the list [I'm only fifteen]. I'm first and foremost a major Phantom of the Opera fanatic, followed by a mania for Star Wars. I like to read a lot and I collect pictures off the internet. My Phantom picture collection numbers over 600 and my Roddy McDowell collection is beginning to grow, slowly but surely. :) Lastly [I suppose] I'm a goody-two-shoes and people say I'm smart, but I won't harp on that.

Now, why I joined this list--I guess that's not hard to figure out. :D I'm fresh and green to the world of Roddy. I guess you could say I became a fan of his when I saw him on Biography Remembers on A&E earlier this week. I always got his name mixed up with Malcolm McDowall (-ell?) and for some reason thought they were related. So I decided to watch and set things straight. Let's see ... was completely floored at how many films he'd done and was astounded to find out he'd played my beloved Cornelius ... everytime I heard mention of Planet of the Apes I'd always hear Cornelius's voice in my head and now I had a name to go with the voice! I was also tickled pink because his voice when he was younger reminds me a lot of Michael Crawford's speaking voice. Roddy also struck me as being a completely likable fellow, the kind of guy you'd want to meet and love to have as your friend. So thus I was very shocked to learn that he'd passed on over two months ago. So I was a day late and a dollar short in coming to his fandom.

I think that's enough rambling for right now, though. Sorry if I broke the norm in any way. I hope to possibly get to know some of you guys and become more steeped in fandom. :)

-Stephanie
TenelKa04@aol.com

Subject: Re: Member TenelKa04@aol.com

> Warm welcome and happy holidays to new member, TenelKa04@aol.com

         Welcome, and I will ask the usual question this time, what is you favorite Roddy film? And if you like you are welcome to tell us how you first became a fan, for most of us (now in our '30's and 40's) it goes back to when we were barely in our teens and spotted him in some film or tv show....Benita

Subject: Re: New RM image

Oh nooooo. There'd be no one interested in a new RM pic on THIS list, Mel. ;)
Cute nose, Roddy. Can I pull your strings?
Kari

> In case anybody's interested, I've just uploaded a new file --
> http://www.smithway.org/rm/temp/Pinocchio.jpg
> --Mel

Subject: Re: Shock Treatment/T-shirts?

I, too, am looking for a copy of Shock Treatment (1964). Can anyone help???

-- Lady Mara

Subject: Re: Tape Holiday in Mexico

Hey! Me too, I would love a tape of Holiday in Mexico! Barb

Janet, I've got Miracle if you want me to put it on one of your tapes.
Tam

I can do you a copy of Shock treatment,but you'll have to wait until i get all the other tapes that i need to do for people out of the way. there are quite a few. If you're willing to be patient,it will get done. Just send tape and postage money. let me know.
Tam

Subject: Re: People Magazine Picture

Those tributes were kind of in the style of Roddy's own photography books, weren't they. And yes, I did like the picture. It was a very natural shot, and Shirley Temples write up was very good! Personal, but not cheesy.
Kari

> I just saw the People Magazine Picture of Roddy in their "Tribute"
> section of this week's issue. Roddy had such a wonderful look on
> his face when he laughed, and that little quote he said to Shirley
> Temple was priceless. It got me sad all over again. I still find
> it amazing how much we can miss someone we never knew (it just felt
> that way).
> Janice

> Alright, I'm guilty of that too. Every bio, I check for his name.
> Its amazing where he shows up! Don't you hate it when they place
> the "Mc" names together at the beginning of the "M" section, or
> the end, instead of in the correct alphabetical order?? I even ran
> across an official bio that MISPELLED his name! Greatest heresy
> ever to a Roddy fan! Thats what I think, anyway. Yeah. ;)
> Kari

         Kari, actually I find that putting the "Mc's" at the begining of the "M's" to be a time saver. I can flip to the index of a book, hit the "M's" and move on to the next one in record time if it doesn't yield anything. It really doesn't take me that long anyway. You should see me with a stack of bio's and books from the "entertainment' section at Barnes and Noble. Of course, sometimes I find more info than I bargined for. (hee-hee) No, I am **NOT** going to be responsible for getting *that* discussion started again. Benita

> Yes! Now I know I'm not the youngest Roddy fan. I'm only 15
> TCable

         It is refreshing to see a new generation of Roddy fans growing up and to know that they know quality when they see it. Benita

> http://www.smithway.org/rm/temp/Pinocchio.jpg

I forgot to say, the pic came from the magazine Famous Monsters of Filmland #224 (Nov/Dec 1998 issue).

--Mel

Hi everyone, [combining posts]

> Welcome, and I will ask the usual question this time, what is you
> favorite Roddy film? And if you like you are welcome to tell us
> how you first became a fan, for most of us (now in our '30's and
> 40's) it goes back to when we were barely in our teens and spotted
> him in some film or tv show....

Well, I guess my first post kind of answered most of your questions, but I'll reply anyway. As for my favorite Roddy film--well, *sheepish laugh* I've only really seen one, and that was An Unlikely Angel [my mother was tickled to death at me--I'd give a little squeal of delight every time he'd appear]. I'm sure I've seen Planet of the Apes, but that was so long ago all the memories of the movie are jumbled with images from the Ewok movies. :) However, I've seen Spaceballs about three million times [and counting] and the Apes plug- in was always my favorite. Wish Roddy was one of the cameo-ing apes, though. [he wasn't, was he?]

Believe I've answered the coming-to-fandom bit. It was pretty pathetic, wasn't it?

> It is refreshing to see a new generation of Roddy fans growing up
> and to know that they know quality when they see it.

Hey, I can spot quality from miles off and I have 20/100 vision! *j/k* But really, though, I don't think I'm your average teen--after all, a person who would give a kidney for a dead man with a deformed face is not normal! *l* I really, honestly can't say what it was that attracted me to him. Hmm ... *thinks* ... It was his eyes. He had the most beautiful, expressive eyes I'd ever seen, with a precious, bright smile to boot.

Yes, I think that's it.

But enough babbling.

Who are my fellow teens on the list? Speak up! We need to band together. ;)

BTW, is this list as a whole a digest list? I get all the posts for one day around eleven at night and it sort of throws me off.

-Stephanie

Subject: Re: First-Time Poster [Bear With Me!]

It's -ell, I believe. Hi Stephanie! Wow, another younger person! That is just too cool. And another Michael Crawford fan, everybody else who was discussing him a while ago! Roddy's fanclub sort of attracts the same sort of people, doesn't it. So is Apes your favorite RM show, Stephanie? Or is there another near and dear to your heart. I change my mind from day to day, its too hard to choose. Anyway, glad you could join us, and I look forward to hearing from ya!

Kari (23, and Canadian, eh!)

         Stephanie, no you are not the youngest, there is another 15 y.o. and a 14 y.o. There is something about one's early teens that makes you sit up and notice Roddy. For most of us, no matter how old we are, that is about the time we first became fans. A bit younger for me (I was a mere 13) and now, 27 years later, here I am. Benita

Subject: Shock Treatment/Tam

Tam

Thanks. I can be very patient. Please tell me where to send the tape and postage (to New Jersey) and I will be very glad to send it.
Joanne

> I can do you a copy of Shock treatment,but you'll have to wait
> until i get all the other tapes that i need to do for people out
> of the way. there are quite a few. If you're willing to be
> patient,it will get done. Just send tape and postage money. let me know.
> Tam

You're just no fun, Benita. ;) I was just bitching about the Mc's for lack of anything else to do. Don't mind me. So how was everyone's Christmas? Did anyone get anything unusual or exciting? Besides fruitcake? Kari

> > Alright, I'm guilty of that too. Every bio, I check for his name.
> > Its amazing where he shows up! Don't you hate it when they place
> > the "Mc" names together at the beginning of the "M" section, or
> > the end, instead of in the correct alphabetical order?? I even ran
> > across an official bio that MISPELLED his name! Greatest heresy
> > ever to a Roddy fan! Thats what I think, anyway. Yeah. ;)
> > Kari
>
> Kari, actually I find that putting the "Mc's" at the begining of
> the "M's" to be a time saver. I can flip to the index of a book, hit
> the "M's" and move on to the next one in record time if it doesn't
> yield anything. It really doesn't take me that long anyway. You
> should see me with a stack of bio's and books from the
> "entertainment' section at Barnes and Noble. Of course, sometimes I
> find more info than I bargined for. (hee-hee) No, I am **NOT** going
> to be responsible for getting *that* discussion started again.
> Benita

> Warm welcome and happy holidays to new member, TenelKa04@aol.com

Hello, TenelKa04!!!!!
Christina-Paige
Cantisa@aol.com

Thirty-years old here, folks. VERY young when I fell in love with him. You go, Monica! Nice to know that Roddy is also known and admired in your generation.

Christina-Paige

O.K. Barb! I really will get to that one of these days. Before the millenium. Just send me your address (I can't remember if I had yours or not, but send it again just in case) prinkj00@uleth.ca, and I'll see what I can do!
Kari

Subject: Combining Posts [Teens?]

> There is something about one's early teens that makes
> you sit up and notice Roddy.

The fact that he still strongly reminds me of Michael Crawford doesn't help, though. :) [I'm more of an Anthony Warlow/Thomas James O'Leary fan, for those of you who know what--or who--I'm talking about] Did you ever notice that, Kari? I don't know if you've ever heard Crawford's speaking voice, but they're similar. My sister thinks it's scary.

Benita, you're the same age as my mother and while she's not a big fan of Roddy, she appreciates his work. She says she can remember hearing about him when she was my age.

> And another Michael Crawford fan, everybody
> else who was discussing him a while ago!

What about him? [Feel free to mail me privately about that.]

> So is Apes your favorite RM show, Stephanie? Or is there another
> near and dear to your heart.

Like I said, I saw Apes so many years ago ... wow. Probably before I moved here the last time [I've lived in Alabama three times including the current stint]. That was about ten or eleven years ago, no kidding. So right now my current fave is An Unlikely Angel because that's the only one I've seen with him. I know, I'm a horrible fan, but give me time ... I've only been a fan less than a week!

Anyway, I'll ask a question that'll be sure to elicit [is that the right terminology?] some responses: What is the most obsessive thing some of you guys have done for [or about or because of] Roddy? If they're anything like some of the things my fellow phans have done, this'll be interesting.

Oh ... whoever it was that said that Roddy is appreciated in my generation [I assume it's mine you speak of], don't be so sure. Most people my age say, "Roddy who?" Or maybe it's just where I live. :)

Hello to Benita, Kari, and Christina-Paige, and thanks for welcoming me. :) You'll have to excuse me, writing something short is something I'm uncapable of and I can get long-winded. That said ....

-Stephanie
TenelKa04@aol.com

[who went to a Michael Crawford concert this past summer and got his autograph :P]

Dear Fellow Mugravians,
         Hope the holidays are treating all of you good, and warm with this winter season among us. Recently saw "The Legend of Hell House" from the 1960's and was amazed how good that movie was even in those days because I thought it was earlier.
         Thanks again for all the info, and LOVED the Biography clip of Roddy. Can/t wait to see the Life Special.
         HAVE A SAFE AND HAPPY NEW YEAR, THE LAST OF THE CENTURY. ENJOY AND HAPPINESS TO ALL OF YOU.

ANN (rozmaryn@salisbury.net)

Subject: Re: Combining Posts [Teens?]

I have noticed their voices are similar. Ah, I love a well-spoken man! Well, I'd rather not place myself in the obsessive fan category. Uh.. I spent probably around 40 bucks Canadian getting his autobiography! Does that count? (Buying stuff from the states is murder right now! Our currency sucks.) But it was worth it I say! Oh yes! Lets see, I say try Fright Night Stephanie! I love that show. One of the best horror spoofs there is! Or Cleopatra, if you can sit through the Liz Taylor/Richard Burton love scenes to get to Roddy's. He's awesome in that one too. And I'm glad to have a fellow E-mail rambler! I tend to go on once I start typing too.
Kari

> The fact that he still strongly reminds me of Michael Crawford
> doesn't help, though. :) ... Did you ever notice that, Kari? I
> don't know if you've ever heard Crawford's speaking voice, but
> they're similar. My sister thinks it's scary.
>
> Anyway, I'll ask a question that'll be sure to elicit [is that the
> right terminology?] some responses: What is the most obsessive
> thing some of you guys have done for [or about or because of]
> Roddy? If they're anything like some of the things my fellow phans
> have done, this'll be interesting.

> What is the most obsessive thing some of you guys have done for
> [or about or because of] Roddy?

This isn't THAT weird, but years ago I would buy a cake on his birthday and have the bakery put "Happy Birthday Roddy" on it and have a little party. I had a friend who liked him too, and we would sing Happy Birthday to him and then eat cake and ice cream. I haven't done it for a while, but I did it regularly for about 9 years.
Joni

Kari,
         Speaking of misspelling Roddy's last name....Sometime ago, I got a thank- you letter on behalf of Elizabeth Taylor from one of her personal assistants for the condolence card I sent her at the loss of her friend,"Roddy MacDowell"! Can you believe it?

Janet C

> > EAP wrote a story that
> > starred a character names Arthur Pym, which was the name of the
> > character Roddy played in The Curse of the Golem!!!!!!

> Hey Monica!
> You forgot to mention what the story EAP wrote. What was it??
> Paul Worley

Like I said, I always forget the most important things!! The story is called "The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym", but sometimes the title is "A. Gordon Pym" or "A. G. Pym" just because the publishers didn't feel like wasting ink on such a long name.

Moni.

Hi Kari,

I'm the other Canadaian, AH! That's one of my favorite movies of Roddy because he shows his range in doing comedy too! Plus he is cute as a button!

Barb

Subject: TV Guide with Roddy

Can anyone get me a copy of the TV Guide that had the small article on Roddy? I think it was either this week's or last week's. Someone was going to get it for me but that arrangement fell through.

Please mail me *off-list* if you can help. Thanks!

Lynne Ackerman

> You're just no fun, Benita. ;)
> I was just bitching about the Mc's for lack of anything else to
> do. Don't mind me. So how was everyone's Christmas? Did anyone
> get anything unusual or exciting? Besides fruitcake?
> Kari

Hehehe... I've never actually seen a fruitcake--except on that one episode of "Pee-Wee's Playhouse" where he built an extention for his house out of the stuff. *shrug* Hey, I was 5 years old! Oh well. I've been wearing out my VCR watching Cricket on the Hearth and Return of the King (Roddy is great as Sam!).Interesting? Every year is interesting with stuff I get. Have you ever gotten a novel *about* Oscar Wilde? (one of my fav gifts this year :-P LoL) I now have more art supplies than I'll ever use. This is good, maybe I'll finally be able to draw Roddy (I can do Paul McCartney and Bette Midler, but somehow Roddy is a challange). Happy Roddyness!
Moni

Welcome, Stephanie,

> I'm first and foremost a major Phantom of the Opera fanatic,
> followed by a mania for Star Wars. I like to read a lot and I
> collect pictures off the internet.

Sounds like you're going to fit right in here.

> Lastly [I suppose] I'm a goody-two-shoes and people say I'm smart,
> but I won't harp on that.

This could have been my profile when I first became a Roddy fan over 20 years ago. It seems to come with the territory.

> Let's see ... was completely floored at how many films he'd done
> and was astounded to find out he'd played my beloved Cornelius ...
> everytime I heard mention of Planet of the Apes I'd always hear
> Cornelius's voice in my head and now I had a name to go with the
> voice! I was also tickled pink because his voice when he was
> younger reminds me a lot of Michael Crawford's speaking voice.
> Roddy also struck me as being a completely likable fellow, the
> kind of guy you'd want to meet and love to have as your friend. So
> thus I was very shocked to learn that he'd passed on over two
> months ago.

I also became a fan through the Apes. I became totally obsessed with the television series and fell in love with Roddy's voice. As I learned more about him, I came to admire the whole person - as an actor and a human being. I'm also a huge Michael Crawford and Phantom fan. What can I say? Roddy fans have impeccable taste. (Although we do have differing opinions on Barry Manilow - Don't we, Paul?)

Cheryl :)

> Oh nooooo. There'd be no one interested in a new RM pic on THIS list, Mel. ;)
> Cute nose, Roddy. Can I pull your strings?
> Kari

ROTFL Kari!!!! -Monica

> Benita, you're the same age as my mother and while she's not a big
> fan of Roddy, she appreciates his work. She says she can remember
> hearing about him when she was my age.
>
> Anyway, I'll ask a question that'll be sure to elicit [is that the
> right terminology?] some responses: What is the most obsessive
> thing some of you guys have done for [or about or because of]
> Roddy? If they're anything like some of the things my fellow phans
> have done, this'll be interesting.

         Stephanie, if you were trying to make me feel old, you succeeded. ha-ha. The *most* obsessive thing I've ever done?? Hmmm, I'll have to think about that. I did plot to keep the copy of the original "Double Exposure" from my high school library (I don't know why they had a copy) and pretend I lost it and just pay for it. But I made the mistake of confiding in a friend who planned to become a libriain and she threatened to turn me in--some friend--so I didn't do it. Benita

Subject: Night Gallery

Anybody here got a copy of the Night Gallery pilot?

--Mel

> I did plot to keep the copy of the original "Double Exposure" from
> my high school library (I don't know why they had a copy) and
> pretend I lost it and just pay for it. But I made the mistake of
> confiding in a friend who planned to become a libriain and she
> threatened to turn me in--some friend--so I didn't do it. Benita

Benita! As a former librarian, all I have to say is "Shame on you!" I did, however, once remove a picture of Roddy and Richard Burton from the text of the play "Camelot." It was glued in and not bound like the rest of the pages. Eventually, I felt really guilty and glued it back in. Oh well, that's the extent of my life of crime...,

Cheryl

Subject: More Combined Posts

[Yeah, the long post is from me.]

> Sounds like you're going to fit right in here.

Really? Well, how nice. :)

> > Lastly [I suppose] I'm a goody-two-shoes and people say I'm smart,
> > but I won't harp on that.
>
> This could have been my profile when I first became a Roddy fan over
> 20 years ago. It seems to come with the territory.

How strange and kinda nice. :D Maybe we're just a little alike, and not one of those scary parallel-lives things .... *sag* Honestly, it's not in my capacity to do anything dreadfully wrong because my conscious is my mother's voice saying "I'll kill you!"

> I also became a fan through the Apes. I became totally obsessed with
> the television series and fell in love with Roddy's voice.

Speaking of that, I don't know if anyone has ever heard this and/or everyone on this list knows about it, but I found a RealAudio clip taken off the radio of a person calling in who, every time Charlton Heston was on a television program where people would call in, he'd call and pretend to be Roddy. I swear, that guy imitates Roddy's voice *perfectly*.

I won't elaborate for fear that everyone knows about this, so I'll wait before I continue.

> I'm also a huge Michael Crawford and Phantom fan.

Wow, phans do have great taste. You know, it's weird that I find that a lot of people who happen to be interested in one thing I'm maniacal about, tend to have the same 'tastes' as I do.

> I have noticed their voices are similar. Ah, I love a well-spoken
> man!

Have you noticed they're all mostly British too? Must be something they learn in school. ;) Their accents are adorable too! [Kind of like Anthony Daniels's in a way ...]

I haven't done anything really "obsessive" for Roddy yet [Phantom and SW is a different story], other than the fact that right now I'm game to go to the video rental w/ a list of his movies and snap up every single movie that he is even remotely featured in. And now that I've said that, how many of his movies *are* available for rent?

I feel so horrible, though, everyone keeps talking of movies and memorial gardens and the like, and I have no idea what you guys are talking about .... *g* Hopefully I'll learn in time.

-Stephanie

[who staunchly refused to watch "How Green Was My Valley" a few months ago even when her mother begged strictly b/c it was made in the forties and had sappy music and sprawling countryside]

Subject: awesome

LOVE IT!!!! :)

Frankie

Subject: Re: TV Guide with Roddy

> Can anyone get me a copy of the TV Guide that had the small
> article on Roddy? I think it was either this week's or last
> week's. Someone was going to get it for me but that arrangement
> fell through. Please mail me *off-list* if you can help. Thanks!
> Lynne

This Barb, one of the other Canadians, I looked in both the most recent and could not find, maybe it is not in the Canadian version??Please get me a copy too if it is only available from the States. Thanks

>Welcome, Stephanie to the RM Group...

Yes! I'm a fellow Goody-two-shoes too! Some people think I'm boring as well, because I don't seemed to have any vises (smoking, drinking, drugs, gambling, food, sex...etc.) I just don't indulge in self- destructive or extreme behavior, I have a very Buddist mentality. Harmony in life, is attained by balance and moderation in everything.(my only exception is of course, RODDY). I can never get enough of him! Ha! Ha!

NIce to hear from a fellow goody-two-shoes. I like being good (giving people gifts, volunteering, girl scouts, even opening doors, the whole nine yards). Also people say I'm highly intellent and cerebral. A sponge of knowledge. I just like information on everything.

I'm proud to be a nerd, goody-two-shoes...and that may be a reason why I love, respect and admire people like Roddy McDowall who lived their lives the way they believed and not hypocritically like a Jerry Lewis type. They did things to help people not for publicity and so people would think they were wonderful, but quitely and annoymously as human beings loving and helping one another because it need was there. Thank God there are people like Roddy in the world...

I tend to ramble too, sorry Stephanie.
Barb

P.S. I'm a Trekker and my second fav is Patrick Stewart (I seemed to go for Scotsmen, don't I?)

O.K. Tam, Benita and Barb! I'm going to see if I can get some recording done in the next day or so, so I'll see what I can do with Holiday I.M. Besides, I want a copy too. As an aside, my bargain bin find for yesterday was a copy of Laurence Olivier's Hamlet for 9 bucks! Has nothing to do with Roddy, but it is an awesome version and I had to share. I didn't know you were Canadian Barb! And you're fairly close too! Now we've got a B. Columbian, an Albertan, and a Torontonian. :)

Kari

> I'm the other Canadaian, AH! That's one of my favorite movies of
> Roddy because he shows his range in doing comedy too! Plus he is
> cute as a button!
> Barb

> Anyway, I'll ask a question that'll be sure to elicit [is that the
> right terminology?] some responses: What is the most obsessive
> thing some of you guys have done for [or about or because of]
> Roddy? If they're anything like some of the things my fellow phans
> have done, this'll be interesting.

I actually tried to copy his speech patterns, and am now stuch doing that stuttering thing occationally without thinking about it.

Monica

Subject: Re: Night Gallery

I tried to get it, Mel. One of our video stores here had it, and rented it a long time ago (excellent episode with Roddy! He's such a weasel! And really cute!), but they don't have it anymore. It would cost me $76 bucks to order it through our store, which while I'm a huge fan, is too darn rich for my blood! Kari

> Anybody here got a copy of the Night Gallery pilot?
> --Mel

> Stephanie, if you were trying to make me feel old, you succeeded.
> ha-ha.

Sorry, I didn't try. :)

> The *most* obsessive thing I've ever done?? Hmmm, I'll have to
> think about that. I did plot to keep the copy of the original
> "Double Exposure" from my high school library (I don't know why
> they had a copy) and pretend I lost it and just pay for it. But I
> made the mistake of confiding in a friend who planned to become a
> libriain and she threatened to turn me in--some friend--so I
> didn't do it.

Man, that's a shame. I used to do things like that, mostly purely by accident. My twin sister would always continually borrow books from her teachers and never return them. In that way I've amassed an impressive list of "stolen" books ranging on everything from Titanic to The Hound of the Baskervilles [which I adore]. The latest book Allison has "borrowed" is Daphne du Maurier's 'Rebecca'. Very good book. Now I'd like to get my paws on the BBC version [starring the incomparable Jeremy Brett].

-Stephanie

I think mines not bad, I got the eyes right I think which is a big part. And I like Pee-Wee. Despite his shortcomings. I've got the Return of the King too, although would you believe I have had it forever, before I even clued in to who Roddy McDowall was? All of a sudden it was like, hey! I have that tape somewhere! And I had to dig it out from under the T.V. stand and check it out again. I never really liked Sam in the LOTR books, but now I look on his character with much more enthusiasm! Now I get Roddy's voice stuck inside my head when I think of Sam. (Yes, I'm a 4th year English major who'll still admit she grew up with and still has a soft spot for Tolkien.)
Kari

> > You're just no fun, Benita. ;)
> > I was just bitching about the Mc's for lack of anything else to
> > do. Don't mind me. So how was everyone's Christmas? Did
> > anyone get anything unusual or exciting? Besides fruitcake?
> > Kari
>
> Hehehe... I've never actually seen a fruitcake--except on that one
> episode of "Pee-Wee's Playhouse" where he built an extention for
> his house out of the stuff. *shrug* Hey, I was 5 years old! Oh
> well. I've been wearing out my VCR watching Cricket on the Hearth
> and Return of the King (Roddy is great as Sam!).Interesting? Every
> year is interesting with stuff I get. Have you ever gotten a novel
> *about* Oscar Wilde? (one of my fav gifts this year :-P LoL) I now
> have more art supplies than I'll ever use. This is good, maybe
> I'll finally be able to draw Roddy (I can do Paul McCartney and
> Bette Midler, but somehow Roddy is a challange). Happy Roddyness!
> Moni

I'm shocked and appalled. Lets go find them and do nasty things to them. How does the actress Andie McDow(all,ell) spell her name, out of curiosity? Kari

> Speaking of misspelling Roddy's last name....Sometime ago,
> I got a thank- you letter on behalf of Elizabeth Taylor from one
> of her personal assistants for the condolence card I sent her at
> the loss of her friend,"Roddy MacDowell"! Can you believe it?
>
> Janet C

> > Speaking of misspelling Roddy's last name....Sometime ago,
> > I got a thank- you letter on behalf of Elizabeth Taylor from one
> > of her personal assistants for the condolence card I sent her at
> > the loss of her friend,"Roddy MacDowell"! Can you believe it?
> > Janet C
>
> I'm shocked and appalled. Lets go find them and do nasty things to
> them. How does the actress Andie McDow(all,ell) spell her name, out
> of curiosity?
> Kari

Andie MacDowell
Roddy McDowall
Malcolm McDowell

I once dearly wished that someone would cast all three of them in the same movie.

--Mel

A lot of my obsessiveiness was not limited to a single act, but ongoing behavior. Like setting my alarm for 2 am when one of his movies was being shown, and sitting in the den with the lights off and the volume just barely up on the tv (had to sit nose-to-nose to hear it) to watch it, spending all my allowance and babysitting money on fan magazines (oh for a good Rona Barrett mag) and last but not least, writing fan letters on special stationary; I'd buy the prettiest I could find and spray an index card with my perfume and put it in the box. After being closed for a few days, it scented the paper and envlopes without being overwhelming. I'd also buy special pens in ink to match the stationary. I had forgotten about doing that until the question made me think. I guess there was more, but it requires going back a long way in my memory. I never bought a whole birthday cake, but I stuck a candle in a Hostess cupcake a few times. Benita

Subject: Bedknobs and Broomsticks

Don't waste your money renting this video, and don't waste your time watching it on TV. Roddy's total screen time is about 30 seconds and his character does absoloutely nil.

Monica

> NIce to hear from a fellow goody-two-shoes. I like being good
> (giving people gifts, volunteering, girl scouts, even opening
> doors, the whole nine yards). Also people say I'm highly
> intellent and cerebral. A sponge of knowledge. I just like
> information on everything.

*chuckles* I did a lot of volunteering this holiday season, which is surprising because even though my heart has good intentions, I'm too lazy to even do anything about it. And from one fellow sponge to another, one can never know enough about anything, even our own personal vices. :)

> I'm proud to be a nerd, goody-two-shoes...and that may be a reason
> why I love, respect and admire people like Roddy McDowall who lived
> their lives the way they believed and not hypocritically like a
> Jerry Lewis type.

Do you mean Jerry Lee Lewis? *remembers footage of him playing his flaming piano* Yeah, Roddy seemed like a perfect gentleman to me who had a pure heart and a smile for everyone. [Sappy, I know, but I hold *that* truth to be self- evident}.

> They did things to help people not for publicity and so people
> would think they were wonderful, but quitely and annoymously as
> human beings loving and helping one another because it need was there.

That is definitely my type of person. I always seem to like the actors that stay out of the Hollywood spotlight and live their lives quietly and with dignity--like, say, Harrison Ford.

> I actually tried to copy his speech patterns, and am now stuch
> doing that stuttering thing occationally without thinking about it.

You mean Roddy stuttered? *floored* Wow, I *never* would have known! I say this because I myself am a terrible, chronic stutterer and here lately it's grown quite dreadful. My opinion of Roddy just went up several notches--I've always had the greatest admiration for actors and actresses who stuttered and still managed to go on the stage or screen and give great performances in spite of there handicap [yes, it is one, kind of]. The hardest and most frightening thing for me to do is get up in front of people and speak because I stutter and as a result say "um" a lot, and I get teased a lot for it. Sad thing is, I love acting and the like but I never try out for anything because I either stutter like nobody's business and I'm afraid I'll stutter. Sorry for rambling about that--that kind of touched home for me.

> (I seemed to go for Scotsmen, don't I?)

I thought Roddy was English? [so's The Crawford. Heh.] My personal Scotsman to bow down to is Denis Lawson. [betcha none of you recognize that name!] *bows down to the Lawson god* *g*

-Stephanie

Subject: Re: More Combined Posts

> -Stephanie
>
> [who staunchly refused to watch "How Green Was My Valley" a few
> months ago even when her mother begged strictly b/c it was made in
> the forties and had sappy music and sprawling countryside]

         Stephanie, "HGWMV" is on again next month. Sit down like a good little Roddy fan and watch it. Those b/w movies from the 40's are CLASSICS! "Casablanca", "Gaslight", "The Maltase Falcon". I do not support Ted Turner in making the b/w films colorized. Benita

Wow. Wouldn't that confuse non-fans everywhere! Not to mention the mix ups in the dressing rooms. Anyone catch Life's program on stars who have passed on in '98 last night? I don't get the channel, so I'm curious to know what they said about Roddy.
Kari

> Andie MacDowell
> Roddy McDowall
> Malcolm McDowell
>
> I once dearly wished that someone would cast all three of them in
> the same movie.
>
> --Mel

> Andie MacDowell
> Roddy McDowall
> Malcolm McDowell
>
> I once dearly wished that someone would cast all three of them in the
> same movie.
>
> --Mel

Mel, Well close, Roddy did star with Malcolm's ex in Dead of Winter & Grass Harp. He was talked about in The Player by Malcolm & Andie(playing her self)

--deloomis

Subject: Life Remembers

Our TV guide for last night (Wednesday, Dec. 30) listed a program on CBS titled "Life Remembers". In the description of the program, the TV guide said, "Frank Sinatra, Roddy McDowall". Great, I thought. So I made sure to tune it in. I was disappointed to find it was a necrology anthology for 1998, with most represented by a single photo, and a few by lengthier bios. Roddy got a single photo. I was very disappointed. In my opinion, if they'd had a half-hour on Frank and a half-hour on Roddy, that would have been just about right.

Take care...Steve

Speaking of Night Gallery...I downloaded the Cemetary.wav from the sound bytes section over on the Tribute site. Funny, it keeps giving me an error message. Does anyone have a decent uncorrupted copy of this wav sound? If so, e-mail me at: LadyMara@aol.com. Also, are there any other sound bytes from the Night Gallery pilot that's in wav format. Would love to know so I could acquire them.

Happy New Year, All!!!!!

--Lady Mara

> > I did plot to keep the copy of the original "Double Exposure" from
> > my high school library (I don't know why they had a copy) and
> > pretend I lost it and just pay for it. But I made the mistake of
> > confiding in a friend who planned to become a libriain and she
> > threatened to turn me in--some friend--so I didn't do it. Benita
> >
> Benita!
> As a former librarian, all I have to say is "Shame on you!" I did,
> however, once remove a picture of Roddy and Richard Burton from the
> text of the play "Camelot." It was glued in and not bound like the
> rest of the pages. Eventually, I felt really guilty and glued it back
> in. Oh well, that's the extent of my life of crime...,
>
> Cheryl

         Cheryl, I said I was going to pay for it. I could have just stolen it. I went to high school in the dark ages of the early-mid '70's, before electronic anti-theft devices were the norm. I could have just walked out with it and no one would have ever known. I wish now I had kept my mouth shut to my friend. I have however stooped in recent weeks to petty theft of pics of Roddy from magazines in the waiting rooms of my doctor and my mom's doctor. Not the whole magazine, just the pics. I felt a twinge of guilt, but it quickly passed. ha-ha Benita

p.s. Eventually someone else *did* steal it. Benita

Subject: [Fwd: Roddy McDowall]

They replied to, but did not use my letter of complaint, let's see what they do with one that compliments them.

--------------2ABB1C446C706CCBC8F4BEC7
From: bec87@bellsouth.net
To: editor@people.com
Subject: Roddy McDowall

Dear People Weekly.
In October I wrote to voice my disappointment that your magazine gave only two pages of coverage to actor Roddy McDowall on his life and death. This time I am writing to say thank you for the large, color photo, and for choosing one of him as an adult. And one that captured him in such an obviously relaxed, happy and carefree moment. That is the image of him that his fans and friends want to keep in their minds. He will be remembered always, and missed deeply by us all.
Benita Cassell

> > Can anyone get me a copy of the TV Guide that had the small
> > article on Roddy? I think it was either this week's or last
> > week's. Someone was going to get it for me but that arrangement
> > fell through. Please mail me *off-list* if you can help. Thanks!
> > Lynne
>
> This Barb, one of the other Canadians, I looked in both the most
> recent and could not find, maybe it is not in the Canadian
> version??Please get me a copy too if it is only available from the
> States. Thanks

Yes, Barb, it was only in the U.S. version, which is why I was asking on the list.

Lynne Ackerman

Hi Kari,

Glad we have connected the last little while. I thought you were Canadian by the way some of the others were always refering to Hollywood North (actually that is Vancouver guys!) Anyway it is nice to know your address now, thanks Kari!

Thanks also about Holiday I.M. tape - that would be marvelous! How much would you like for taping?

Barb

Subject: 1998 Goodbyes

http://www.boston.com:80/dailyglobe2/365/nation/Time_to_raise_a_toast+ .shtml
Film also mourned scene-stealing character actors: the eloquently brooding J. T. Walsh, Gene Evans, hero of Sam Fuller war movies; the forever pixieish Roddy McDowall; Maureen O'Sullivan who played other roles than Tarzan's Jane; Leonid Kinskey, the bartender in "Casablanca" and Mae Questel, the voice of Olive Oyl and Betty Boop.
--Mel

next

RM Tribute: Frames | RM Tribute: No Frames | Contact Us | Musgrave Foundation