RMGROUP mail
February 1998

Subject: RE: RM Tour/L.A. trip

> I'm planning on taking a trip to Los Angeles at the end of March, and
> would love to meet anyone who's there.
         Good thing Helen and i aren't going north for our anniversery this year...
         Since i went to Toronto last year to meet you, this year it looks Helen and i will be traveling south to Tennesee. Janet lives down there and i hope we get to meet her too.
         Hope your trip goes well. Is LA all you're getting to go to?

-Paul

Subject: RE: RM's obscure films (RE to Mel)

Sally,

I'm glad you said what you did about Roddy signing everything in red. I've had some skeptics (friends and family) who think my autographed picture of him was signed by someone other than Roddy. I kept telling them *he* signed it. It's signed in red.

Janet

> I'm glad you said what you did about Roddy signing everything in red. I've
> had some skeptics (friends and family) who think my autographed picture of
> him was signed by someone other than Roddy. I kept telling them *he*
> signed it.
> It's signed in red.

Hmmmm. The 6 signed items i have were all signed in black.
????
I don't think he'd use just one color pen for any/every autograph.

-Paul

Subject: LA Trip

Paul asked if Los Angeles was the only place I was going to get to on my trip there in March. Well, yes, as far as I'm planning now. But I'm planning on going back there again around the middle of October, and at that time I'll be going to Las Vegas and Phoenix, Arizona as well, maybe also South Dakota.

Would love to meet anyone who lives in any of those places when I'm down there. Just write and let me know where you are.

Lynne Ackerman

JANET and PAUL wrote:

>> I'm glad you said what you did about Roddy signing everything in red. I've
>> had some skeptics (friends and family) who think my autographed picture of
>> him was signed by someone other than Roddy. I kept telling them *he*
>> signed it.
>> It's signed in red.
>
>Hmmmm. The 6 signed items i have were all signed in black.
>????
>I don't think he'd use just one color pen for any/every autograph.

Maybe *yours* are fake! ;-> Just kidding!!
Who knows, maybe he has in the past couple of years changed to red markers, or he ran out of red.

...Sally..

Subject: REPLY FROM SAM TO JANET

I DONT KNOW IF YOU WOULD CONSIDER COPYING THE TAPES YOUVE GOT FOR ME BUT IF YOU WOULD I WOULD BE EXTREMELY GRATEFUL, PERHAPS I COULD SEND YOU SOME TAPES AND THE MONEY FOR POSTING OR JUST SOME MONEY FOR YOU TO GET A TAPE AND POST IT TO ME.

IF YOU COULD DO THIS IT WOULD BE GREAT!! I LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU AND WOULD LOVE TO KNOW HOW YOU BECAME A RM FAN.

THANX SAM.

Subject: REPLY FROM SAM TO TAMI

TAMI, HI. THANKS FOR REPLYING TO MY PLEA FOR HELP, GREAT TO HEAR FROM YOU. AS I SAID WE DONT GET MANY SHOWS AT ALL OVER HERE, MAYBE THE ODD FILM EVERY NOW AND THEN BUT NOTHING MUCH AND NOTHING LIVE, AFTER ALL WEVE ONLY GOT FOUR CHANNELS!!! ID BE REALLY INTERESTED TO KNOW WHAT FILMS AND SHOWS YOUVE GOT, WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE FOR YOU TO E MAIL ME A LIST?

I DONT KNOW IF YOU WOULD CONSIDER COPYING SOME OF THE TAPES YOUVE GOT IF I HAVENT ALREADY GOT THE FILM FOR ME BUT IF YOU WOULD I WOULD BE EXTREMELY GRATEFUL, PERHAPS I COULD SEND YOU SOME TAPES AND THE MONEY FOR POSTING OR JUST SOME MONEY FOR YOU TO GET A TAPE AND POST IT TO ME. IF YOU COULD DO THIS IT WOULD BE GREAT!!

I LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU AND WOULD LOVE TO KNOW HOW YOU BECAME A RM FAN.

THANX SAM.

>> I'm glad you said what you did about Roddy signing everything in red.
>> I've had some skeptics (friends and family) who think my autographed
>> picture of him was signed by someone other than Roddy. I kept telling
>> them *he* signed it. It's signed in red.
>
>Hmmmm. The 6 signed items i have were all signed in black.
>????
>I don't think he'd use just one color pen for any/every autograph.

Hi everyone - I know that I haven't said very much lately - but just thought that I'd add my piece to this. I have RM's autograph on the cover of the audio book "I, Strahd". The author PN Elrod arranged it for me as she raises money for charity at various conventions. And this autograph is in black (as are a number of older autographs I have in my collection). I'm sure that Lynne Ackerman can also talk about her RM autographs and the colour that they were signed in.

For all of you experiencing horendously cold weather - I can only imagine the dreadful conditions that you may be experiencing. I on the other hand am experiencing the longest, hottest, humidest weather in our recorded history (since before Christmas) - even our air conditioning units are having a hard time coping. And of course some areas of Australia (the place where Crocodile Dundee was filmed) are experiencing rivers rising 22 metres (60 - 70 feet) - pretty amazing - huh.

Have been having lots of fun reading all your letters. Thanks. Janeen

I think I've got it figured out, Paul. RM signs the females photos in red and the males in black. :]
(Someone will probably blow this theory.)

Janet

Subject: People magazine

Hi people,

If anyone is interested in seeing that spread that Roddy did in People Magazine, it is out at the grocery stores now.
It's the February 9, 1998 issue.

...Sally..

>I think I've got it figured out, Paul. RM signs the females
>photos in red and the males in black. :]
>(Someone will probably blow this theory.)

Sorry to blow your theory, Janet but, a friend of mine, who lives in Los Angeles, bought me a copy of "Double Exposure-Take Two" as a Christmas present when it came out. Roddy was doing a book signing and my friend stood in line for 2 hours to get him to sign the book for me.---It's signed in black.----I'm a female.--Unless he thought my friend was a male.----But, I really doubt it.

--Becky

Ok, all of this talk about signatures has made me go look at mine. The majority are in black. A couple of them are red. The one on the photograph is in gold.

Dana Holland

Subject: Re: REPLY FROM SAM TO TAMI

> ... ID BE REALLY INTERESTED TO KNOW WHAT FILMS AND
> SHOWS YOUVE GOT, WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE FOR YOU TO E MAIL ME A LIST?
> I DONT KNOW IF YOU WOULD CONSIDER COPYING SOME OF THE TAPES YOUVE GOT IF I
> HAVENT ALREADY GOT THE FILM FOR ME BUT IF YOU WOULD I WOULD BE EXTREMELY
> GRATEFUL, PERHAPS I COULD SEND YOU SOME TAPES AND THE MONEY FOR POSTING
> OR JUST SOME MONEY FOR YOU TO GET A TAPE AND POST IT TO ME.
> IF YOU COULD DO THIS IT WOULD BE GREAT!!
> I LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU AND WOULD LOVE TO KNOW HOW YOU
> BECAME A RM FAN.

hey there,sam. it would be my pleasure to do that for you. i don't remember how i became a fan.i remember vaguely that i saw an eppy of the poa tv series as a kid,it was the eppy where [not the tall muscular guy,but the other one] was trapped in that subway with erko. :-). then when i saw that eppy again years later,i remembered seeing it as kid,and became a fan. as for the tapes,i have lots of tapes over here,just need the money to send them. :-). i'll have to email you the list of movies i have later,have to go through my tapes to see what i have. i know i have fright night 1 and 2,and the poa movies/series. but i will email you the *whole* list later,ok? glad i can be of help to someone. :-).
take care and i'll email you in a couple of days.
hugs,
tami.

Subject: Re: Coming to L.A./Roddy's autograph

Hi, everyone.

Since I never got a reply to my previous post, I'm asking again. Is there anyone on this list who lives in or near Los Angeles? Sally, Roc - doesn't one of you live there? Or have I remembered this wrongly? I'll be in L.A. near the beginning of March, and it would be great to meet any other Roddy fans while I'm there.

As for the colour Roddy signed my autographs in, well, I'd have to check (which I can't do right now because I can't get to them at the moment <g>), but they'd be either blue or black. But that's because he took *my* pen to sign them, so whatever colour of pen I had at the time is what he used.

Lynne (who's heading down to the "real" Hollywood in less than a month!)

Hey, I don't know if you guys are aware of this, but the US and UK use two different formats for video cassettes - (the US uses VHS and the UK uses PAL, I think). So, if you're planning to send videos across the pond, you may have to find someone who can translate them into your format. (I learned about this when I was a librarian. Every time we bought a European video it had to be transferred to VHS before we could use it).

Hope this prevents any disappointment.

Cheryl

I knew someone would blow my theory so I guess we will all have to agree that there is no *sure* color for his signing. One thing, however, we can notice is that they have been in either black, red, or gold. Did anyone mention silver?

Janet

Ok, so I've come to the conclusion that he signs in whatever color is available.

Janet

Subject: Six Degrees of Roddy

Hey, anybody want to play this again? How many steps from RM to William B. Davis?

--Mel

Hmmmm.....this seems to be getting interesting. I remember, long time ago, The first autographed picture ever received from RM, he signed it in black...that was in the 70s.

however, since then, the postcard, letter, and when I met him in '91 and got his picture, he's been signing everything in red.

---Lady Mara

> Ok, all of this talk about signatures has made me go look at mine.
> The majority are in black. A couple of them are red. The one on
> the photograph is in gold.

Gee, Dana, how many do you have? I've got just one, a B&W photo autographed in silver. Anybody got an autograph in purple? ;->

--Mel

> Gee, Dana, how many do you have? I've got just one, a B&W photo
> autographed in silver. Anybody got an autograph in purple? ;->

I'm hoping to send off a letter asking him to sign more stuff for me soon. Do you think i should request a certain color??? Like purple?? :)

So Mel, how have you enjoyed your first winter in America so far?

-Paul

Subject: RE: RE: Reply from Sam to Tami

Actually, Cheryl, the North American format is NTSC, I think, rather than VHS (which I think refers to the tape, not the format of broadcasting). But you're right in that the U.K., Australia, and lots of other places use PAL, and the two systems don't match. However, there are dual machines available that will play NTSC format tapes on a PAL VCR...they're easy to find in England, Europe, Australia, etc. Most people who live in non-North American countries and who are fans of U.S. or Canadian shows will either have a dual machine or will have access to one, because they'll end up getting so many NTSC tapes from U.S./Canadian fans that it pays them to have the dual machine. I've heard the picture on the dual machine leaves a lot to be desired (Janeen can probably tell us more about this), but most people figure it's certainly better than not having the shows at all.

Lynne Ackerman

LYNNE wrote:
>Since I never got a reply to my previous post, I'm asking again. Is
>there anyone on this list who lives in or near Los Angeles? Sally,
>Roc - doesn't one of you live there? Or have I remembered this

Not me, but you're hot.

>wrongly? I'll be in L.A. near the beginning of March, and it would be
>great to meet any other Roddy fans while I'm there.

Give Roddy my *love* if you should see him.

>Lynne (who's heading down to the "real" Hollywood in less than a month!)

I wish you lots of *sunshine* while you're there. Have a great visit, if I don't get to tell you before you hop on that plane.

...Sally..

MEL asked:
> Gee, Dana, how many do you have? I've got just one, a B&W photo
> autographed in silver. Anybody got it an autograph in purple? ;->

Well, only two actual autographs to me - one through the mail that he did in gold, and one in person that he did in black. The rest are postcards. There are a couple of typewritten letters, although I question the authenticity of the sig on those...

Dana Holland

LADY MARA wrote:
>however, since then, the postcard, letter, and when I met him in '91 and got
>his picture, he's been signing everything in red.

Ah ha, so somebody else has met Roddy. Do tell.

...Sally..

Hi Cheryl, Sam and Tami (and anyone else who's interested) - as a PAL user in Australia I can give some advice here. The US and Canadian systems are called NTSC and uses either VHS or BETA format (the news camera crews use Betamax) . The tapes are the same in whatever system you use but the American VHS tapes in SP are 2 hours in play time and in PAL are 3 hours. We require a special VCR to play back the NTSC tapes. Most VCR's in Australia over $400 can play them. But what we get is an NTSC signal semi converted to play in PAL. If you want to cross copy you need 2 x $800 machines - or a converter. When we watch the NTSC tapes we get a shortened picture (like wide screen) where everyone is dumpier and sort of a picture box type of image (not very clear). Hopes that this helps.

Janeen

I think it would be interesting if the man himself would respond to this.
Don't you think????

--Janet

Subject: A British RM webpage

Those with internet access might be interested in visiting http://web.ukonline.co.uk/craig.pierce2/roddy.html.

I also found the following record album photography credits for RM at http://www.tunes.com/tunes-cgi2/tunes/person_frame/96692/0/0/76

M.G.M. Album (Michael Feinstein)
Elektra Entertainment

Third Album (Barbra Streisand)
Columbia

Just For The Record... (4 CD / 4 Cass Box Set W / Booklet)
(Barbra Streisand)
Columbia
--Mel

Subject: Happy Valentine's Day

Hi everybody,

I just wanted to take a moment of your time and wish you all a -

                   HAPPY  VALENTINE'S DAY!!!
...Sally..

Subject: RE: Six Degrees of Roddy

Mel,

I would love to play, but who the heck is William B. Davis?

Cheryl

Subject: RE: People magazine

SALLY wrote:
> If anyone is interested in seeing that spread that Roddy did in
> People Magazine, it is out at the grocery stores now.
> It's the February 9, 1998 issue.

For some reason, we never got that issue where I work. I have looked elsewhere and can't find it. Anyone got an extra I can buy?

Beth

At least you all have autographs .......

Joni

> Hey, anybody want to play this again? How many steps from RM to
> William B. Davis?

         Goodness Mel, where'd you get that name? He's a really older actor. I really had to rack the brain on this one.

         How's this...In the movie Beyond the Stars, Bill acted with Christian Slater. Chris was in Star Trek: Undiscovered Country and woke up George Takie. George fought against Ricardo Montalban in the original Trek series, and of course Ricky was Roddy's mentor in Escape POTA.
         Bill-Chris-George-Ricky-RM.
I did it in 5. Can anyone get it closer?

-Paul

Subject: re video tapes

         Hi, I'm sorry that this has got so complicated!!! If Janet and Tami are reading this (who were going to be kind enough to copy some tapes for me) then I think the best thing to do is if we could stick to the plan of copying and sending tapes then I can (hopefully) get them converted over here. or I send you both tapes from the U.K., and you use them, I'm not sure if that will work though so hopefully someone technical will let us know!! If you are reading this I'm sorry that I haven't got back to you personally yet but I've been really busy at uni.
         Janet, I'll send you my address and another message in a couple of days.

         Tami, I look forward to your list and I'll also send you my address, and to both of you hopefully we'll get this video tape business sorted.

         Thanx for helping, and hopefully we'll soon work out how best to copy the stuff.

THANX, LOVE SAM.

Subject: Christmas Carol

Hi, this is a question for anyone! I only joined the RM group a month or so ago, so I missed any talk about his Christmas carol show. Did anyone see it? It was a musical wasn't it, and if it was what was his singing like ? I've never heard him sing, saw the publicity shots of the show and he looked great but would love to know what it was like.

Also does Roddy know much about this page, and how much input does he have ( I see that some info is supplied by him)?

THANX LOVE SAM.

I live in Vegas which is about 4-5 hours from L.A.

------ Heather Lei

> Actually, Cheryl, the North American format is NTSC, I think, rather
> than VHS (which I think refers to the tape, not the format of
> broadcasting). But you're right in that the U.K., Australia, and lots
> of other places use PAL, and the two systems don't match. However,
> there are dual machines available that will play NTSC format tapes on
> a PAL VCR...they're easy to find in England, Europe, Australia, etc.
> Most people who live in non-North American countries and who are fans
> of U.S. or Canadian shows will either have a dual machine or will have
> access to one, because they'll end up getting so many NTSC tapes from
> U.S./Canadian fans that it pays them to have the dual machine. I've
> heard the picture on the dual machine leaves a lot to be desired
> (Janeen can probably tell us more about this), but most people figure
> it's certainly better than not having the shows at all.

so does all this mean i can't send you copies of what i have or what? i don't quite understand what you all are saying here. i have vhs if that helps.
tami the confused.

Subject: RE: RE: Six Degrees of Roddy

PAUL wrote:

>MEL WROTE:
>> Hey, anybody want to play this again? How many steps from RM to
>> William B. Davis?
>
>         Goodness Mel, where'd you get that name? He's a really older
>actor. I really had to rack the brain on this one.
>
>         How's this...In the movie Beyond the Stars, Bill acted with
>Christian Slater. Chris was in Star Trek: Undiscovered Country and
>woke up George Takie. George fought against Ricardo Montalban in the
>original Trek series, and of course Ricky was Roddy's mentor in
>Escape POTA.
>         Bill-Chris-George-Ricky-RM.
>I did it in 5. Can anyone get it closer?
>-Paul

Wow, Paul, that's pretty damn good! And pretty damn quick, too!

I am suitably impressed.

--Roc

MEL wrote:

>> Hey, anybody want to play this again? How many steps from RM to
>> William B. Davis?

to which CHERYL replied:

and PAUL said:

>         Goodness Mel, where'd you get that name?

Paul, you should be ashamed....

William B. Davis has gained significant fame these past 5-6 years playing Cancer Man/Cigarette Smoking Man on X-Files!

--Roc

Subject: RE: Christmas Carol

Dear Sam,

I didn't get to see a Christmas Carol either. I was about to give birth and my doctor wouldn't let me go to NYC - even for Roddy. I do, however, have an old recording of Roddy singing in the Broadway production of Camelot. He did alright - though he's no Michael Crawford. If you're interested, I can copy it and send it to you. (I don't think there's any problem sending audio tapes to England. It seems that I brought some back from London and had no problems).

Cheryl

MEL wrote:
> >> Hey, anybody want to play this again? How many steps from RM to
> >> William B. Davis?

PAUL answered:
> >         How's this...In the movie Beyond the Stars, Bill acted with
> >Christian Slater. Chris was in Star Trek: Undiscovered Country and
> >woke up George Takie. George fought against Ricardo Montalban in the
> >original Trek series, and of course Ricky was Roddy's mentor in
> >Escape POTA.
> >         Bill-Chris-George-Ricky-RM.
> >I did it in 5. Can anyone get it closer?

and ROC had this to say:
> Wow, Paul, that's pretty damn good! And pretty damn quick, too!
> I am suitably impressed.

Me, too, because to tell you the truth I'm really aware of only one film that William B. Davis has done and it's not due out until June this year. And don't tell me coming-soon movies are not counted, coz somebody used the upcoming "The Avengers" movie when we played the game last year.

So, using this Davis film which I won't name yet, I can do it in three. Can anybody guess which route I'm thinking? Keep quiet, Roc, let the rest of the kids have fun. ;-)

PS. Glad I finally found something challenging for you, Paul.

--Mel

MEL asked:
> > Hey, anybody want to play this again? How many steps from RM to
> > William B. Davis?

PAUL gave it a shot:
>          How's this...In the movie Beyond the Stars, Bill acted with
> Christian Slater. Chris was in Star Trek: Undiscovered Country and
> woke up George Takie. George fought against Ricardo Montalban in
> the original Trek series, and of course Ricky was Roddy's mentor in
> Escape POTA.
>          Bill-Chris-George-Ricky-RM.
> I did it in 5. Can anyone get it closer?

You could connect Slater to Kevin Bacon in ... oh great I forgot the title. Bacon played a prisoner in Alcatraz who killed a fellow prisoner, Slater played his defense attorney. I got it: Murder in the First. Then connect Bacon to RM in The Big Picture.

Bill-Slater-Bacon-RM. 4 steps.

'course, it can be done in 3 steps. :-)

--Mel

Subject: A Bug's Life summary

Hi everyone,

I stole this from the newsgroup:

...Sally..

Subject: A BUG'S LIFE voices
From: Ken Cope
Newsgroups: alt.comedy.firesgn-thtre

Here is the Disney press release:

NEW ANIMATED FEATURE FROM DISNEY AND PIXAR, "A BUG'S LIFE," SPOTLIGHTS TOP VOCAL TALENT

Kevin Spacey, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Dave Foley, David Hyde Pierce, Bonnie Hunt, Denis Leary, Madeline Kahn, John Ratzenberger, Jonathan Harris and Phyllis Diller are among the top talents providing voices for "A Bug's Life," the highly "ant-icipated" new computer animated comedy-adventure from Walt Disney Pictures and Pixar Animation Studios. This latest film from Pixar, the creators of the landmark 1995 animated blockbuster, "Toy Story," wings its way into theaters this November and is being directed by Oscar-winner John Lasseter and co-directed by Andrew Stanton. Darla Anderson and Kevin Reher are the producers. Also featured in the vocal cast are Michael McShane, Richard Kind, Roddy McDowell, Brad Garrett, Alex Rocco, Hayden Panettiere and Joe Ranft.

"A Bug's Life" is an "epic of miniature proportions" which follows the exciting adventures of a misfit ant named Flik (Dave Foley) as he tries to save his colony from a group of greedy grasshoppers led by Hopper (Kevin Spacey). Flik's attempts at heroism seem headed for disaster when he turns to a bunch of inept performers from a flea circus. With Hopper preparing to descend for another raid, Flik and the circus bugs rally to the occasion leading to a comic confrontation that will delight and amaze moviegoers of all ages.

Commenting on the announcement, Lasseter said, "'A Bug's Life' brings together an incredible group of voice talents and we are thrilled beyond belief with all of the performances we are getting. Dave Foley is absolutely fantastic as Flik and he brings all the right comedic and emotional nuances to the character. Kevin Spacey is brilliant as our villain, Hopper, and we are really fortunate to have such a versatile and talented actor for that role. The rest of the cast is equally fantastic and we couldn't have asked for a more talented group to work with."

Peter Schneider, president of Walt Disney Feature Animation and Walt Disney Theatrical Productions, added, "John Lasseter, Andrew Stanton and the rest of the folks at Pixar Animation Studios are doing an amazing job and have assembled a great group of actors to add to the fun and entertainment. Their emphasis on great story-telling coupled with their incredible blend of artistry and technical innovation makes 'A Bug's Life' a film that is truly original and appealing on many levels.

The cast for "A Bug's Life" includes Dave Foley, best known for his roles on "Kids in the Hall" and "NewsRadio, who provides the voice of Flik, a common ant with an uncommon vision who decides to take a stand against the grasshoppers. Among the film's other prominent ant actors, Phyllis Diller gives a royal performance as the Queen, Julia Louis-Dreyfus ("Seinfeld") takes charge in her portrayal of Princess Atta and young Hayden Panettiere (a veteran performer since the age of five) adds to the fun and adventure as Princess Dot. The colony cast also includes Roddy McDowall as Mr. Soil, Alex Rocco as Thorny, David Ossman as Cornelius and Edie McClurg as Dr. Flora.

Academy Award-winner Kevin Spacey (a Best Supporting Actor for his role in "The Usual Suspects") adds bounce and menace to the voice of Hopper, the leader of a gang of greedy grasshoppers. Richard Kind ("Spin City") wings it as Hopper's spineless sibling, Molt.

John Ratzenberger (the voice of Hamm in "Toy Story" and one of the regulars on "Cheers") lends his vocal talents to the character of P.T. Flea, the obnoxious and unscrupulous owner of a run-down flea circus. Jonathan Harris (the unforgettable Dr. Zachary Smith in "Lost in Space") is heard as Manny, a praying mantis magician who prays for the good old days, while Madeline Kahn gives an valuable vocal assist as a moth named Gypsy, his long-suffering stage partner and devoted wife. David Hyde Pierce (an Emmy winner for his role as Niles Crane in the hit TV series, "Frasier") is in fine form as a stuck-up walking stick named Slim, who has the misfortune of being a serious actor cast in the role of a clown. Denis Leary sounds off as Francis, a male lady bug with a chip on his wing. Bonnie Hunt weaves a wonderful performance as Rosie, a black widow spider whose talents range from high wire acrobat to wild insect tamer. The primary insect that she tames is Dim, a lovable, not-so-bright beetle who is voiced by Brad Garrett (seen regularly as Ray Romano's big brother on the hit TV series, "Everyone Loves Raymond").

Rounding out the bug cast is Michael McShane (whose feature film roles include playing Friar Tuck in the 1991 version of "Robin Hood"), who does double duty providing voices for Tuck & Roll, identical twin Hungarian pillbug acrobats who don't understand a word of English. The voice of Heimlich, a clown caterpillar who is constantly thinking of food, belongs to the multi-talented Joe Ranft, veteran story man, who has long provided scratch track for animated characters and makes his leading bug debut here.

>          Hi, this is a question for anyone! I only joined the RM group
> a month or so ago, so I missed any talk about his Christmas carol show.
> Did anyone see it? It was a musical wasn't it, and if it was what was his
> singing like ?
> I've never heard him sing, saw the publicity shots of the show and he
> looked great but would love to know what it was like.
>
> Also does Roddy know much about this page, and how much input does he
> have ( I see that some info is supplied by him)?

Hi Sam,

I joined this group shortly after seeing "Carol" in NYC in December. It was the only high point to a horrible business trip. I've been a fan of Roddy's since I was 14 years old (I'm 41 now!) and what a thrill to finally see Roddy in person. As you can imagine, it was a fabulous production. He did a fine job with the singing and dancing (!) that was required for the role. I still have the vision of that whole night in my head, especially the magical snowfall at the end of the evening!

Who knows? Maybe he'll do it again this year!

--Diana

Subject: RE: (2) Christmas Carol

CHERYL wrote:

> Dear Sam,
>
> I didn't get to see a Christmas Carol either. I was about to give birth
> and my doctor wouldn't let me go to NYC - even for Roddy. I do, however,
> have an old recording of Roddy singing in the Broadway production of
> Camelot. He did alright - though he's no Michael Crawford. If you're
> interested, I can copy it and send it to you.

Or, if you don't feel like waiting and your computer has a sound card... you can always listen to RM (as Mordred) singing "Seven Deadly Virtues" right on our website at:

http://www.smithway.org/rm/bytes/bytes.html

your browser must have the RealAudio RealPlayer plug-in to listen to this. The plug-in is free and easy to install. To get it, go to

http://www5.real.com/products/player/realplayer_download.html

once the file is downloaded, double-click on rp32_50.exe and the plug-in will install itself.

After the plug-in is loaded, return to the bytes.html page and click on the RealAudio icon next to Seven Deadly Virtues.

Also on the bytes page, RealAudio and standard WAV format versions of the theme song from Lord Love A Duck, as well as "Where Did We Go Wrong" (from The Cool Ones) in RA format.

Enjoy!

--Roc

SAM asked:
> Hi, this is a question for anyone! I only joined the RM group a
>month or so ago, so I missed any talk about his Christmas carol show. Did
>anyone see it? It was a musical wasn't it, and if it was what was his
>singing like ?

I believe only two, actually, three if you count my hubby, of the group who saw "A Christmas Carol". Lisa is the other member, perhaps she would like to add her input.

Roddy didn't sing much but that is the way he chose to perform his part as Scrooge. I thought he did an outstanding job in the part and was very believable. He looked very much the Scrooge. There was some physical involvement on the part of his character also, which was very demanding on him as well, being somewhere around 5'9". Weight? Well, I didn't ask him. Scrooge was required to fall on his knees/face a few times, moved around the stage alot, and in the end had to pickup Tiny Tim and place him on his shoulders. Very exhausting on Roddy.

>Also does Roddy know much about this page, and how much input does he have
>( I see that some info is supplied by him)?

Roddy is aware of his official website.

...Sally..

Subject: RE: (2) Six Degrees of Roddy

> MEL asked:
> > > Hey, anybody want to play this again? How many steps from RM to
> > > William B. Davis?
>
> PAUL gave it a shot:
> >          How's this...In the movie Beyond the Stars, Bill acted with
> > Christian Slater. Chris was in Star Trek: Undiscovered Country and
> > woke up George Takie. George fought against Ricardo Montalban in
> > the original Trek series, and of course Ricky was Roddy's mentor in
> > Escape POTA.
> >          Bill-Chris-George-Ricky-RM.
> > I did it in 5. Can anyone get it closer?
>

> You could connect Slater to Kevin Bacon in ... oh great I forgot the
> title. Bacon played a prisoner in Alcatraz who killed a fellow
> prisoner, Slater played his defense attorney. I got it: Murder in
> the First. Then connect Bacon to RM in The Big Picture.
>
> Bill-Slater-Bacon-RM. 4 steps.
>
> 'course, it can be done in 3 steps. :-)
>
> --Mel

You know... I'm tempted to say that the two of you have *way* too much free time on your hands....

         ;->

Good job, both of you!

--Roc

Subject: Our Swelling Ranks

Hey Everyone!

You'll be glad to know that we have two new members this weekend!

Catherine McConnehey and Kari Prince have now joined our ranks!

Girls, don't be shy about posting. We're not very formal around here, but we do insist that everyone have fun!

Welcome to the group!

--Roc

Subject: RE: A British RM webpage

MEL wrote:

> Those with internet access might be interested in visiting
> http://web.ukonline.co.uk/craig.pierce2/roddy.html.

Thanks for the tip, Mel. I think I stumbled across that site once before and then lost it in a sea of bookmarks :-) He's got a nice collection of old television stuff there.

Interesting to note (interesting to me, at least, and any other closet Fugitive fans that may be lurking in our midsts)... that the television show The Fugitive had it's premiere on Roddy's birthday in 1963

--Roc

Subject: The Cool Ones

Okay, Roc, where the heck is that song? I looked in the most logical place -- the sound bytes webpage -- and there's no song from The Cool Ones.

--Mel

Subject: RE: The Cool Ones

MEL wrote:

>Okay, Roc, where the heck is that song? I looked in the most logical
>place -- the sound bytes webpage -- and there's no song from The Cool
>Ones.

Ahh... ya caught me. Seems I took it off at one point, for some reason. It should be back there by the time you read this. It's only in RealAudio format, though.

--Roc

Subject: RE: Our swelling ranks

ROC wrote:
>Hey Everyone!
>

>You'll be glad to know that we have two new members this weekend!
>

>Catherine McConnehey and Kari Prince have now joined our ranks!
>
>Girls, don't be shy about posting. We're not very formal around here, but
>we do insist that everyone have fun!
>
>Welcome to the group!

I second the welcome Catherine and Kari!

...Sally..

Subject: The Oscars Long Past!

Hey everyone!

I just recently joined your group, so hello! I read once that when the movie Cleopatra came out, the ballots for the Oscars were screwed up, and none of the cast appeared as choices because of a technical error. If not for this, Roddy McDowall would have at least been nominated for an Oscar for his portrayal of Octavian. He was sent some kind of honorary, "thank-you very much, but we messed up" congratulations award. Any truth to that story? (I loved his hair in that film, by the way.)

Thanks,
K.

Subject: RM in this book too

Hi people,

I found this surfing under "Roddy McDowell."

...Sally..

BookPage Nonfiction Review: Holiday Gift Books

History as seen by Hollywood

A historian, novelist and screenwriter, George MacDonald Fraser has an encyclopedic knowledge of his subject. "The Hollywood History of the World" seems to include all the major (and many minor) costume dramas between "The Ten Commandments" and "Braveheart." They range from the sublime to the ridiculous, from Peter Ustinov as an oily Nero to Boris Karloff as a dyspeptic Seneca chief.

The scope of Fraser's book is witty and accessible, stuffed with behind-the-scene stories and comparisons with historical sources. It features dozens of illustrations of historical figures matched with photographs of the actors who portrayed them. Sometimes the casting seems inspired -- Roddy McDowell as the young Augustus Caesar, for example.

Part of the fun is identifying the background characters. Is that John Garfield as an unconvincingly ragged sailor? Was that old workhorse Henry Wilcoxon in every film ever made? Does the author have a thing for Sabu?

Taste is famously subjective, and Fraser is no more consistent than you or I would be. He has the good sense to think Errol Flynn's "Robin Hood" a masterpiece of its kind, but he is blind to the merits of "The Madness of King George." But throughout, his enthusiasm for his subject is contagious.

-- Michael Sims

The Hollywood History of the World
By George MacDonald Fraser
Harvill, $25
ISBN 1860462014

Subject: CART production

Hello everyone,

I found out Roddy has just finished a California Artists Radio Theatre production - Mysteries in the Air - (The Assassination of Abraham Lincoln, Billy Bonney, the Love Letter...aka The Kid, The Seven Layered Arsenic Cake of Madame LeFarge) - February 18, Sacramento,CA.
Host Narrator: RM
Cast:(in all 3 shows) John Harlan, Jeanette Nolan, John Astin, Marty Maguire, Roger Perry, Linda Henning, William Windom, John Bliss, John Saxon, Tom Williams, Kathleen Freeman.

These CART productions are usually aired on National Public Radio in different cities, different states but do not ask me which ones, because I don't know, and neither would Roddy.

...Sally..

Subject: RE: A Christmas Carol

I saw Roddy in A Christmas Carol this passed December in NYC - Sally was correct.

I thought the show was fantastic. Roddy was probably the best Scrooge I've seen in a long time - he looked the part of a little old English curmudgeon -- and he seemed to be having a lot of fun in the role. As Sally said, it was a very physically demanding role, being "pulled" up above the stage by ghosts, and in one scene, he's actually on a bed that spins around like a top - I don't know how he managed to do the next scene without falling over from dizziness.

His singing was alright - but as I recall he didn't really sing. He kind of did a Rex Harrison -- hitting a correct note every once and a while, but really talking his way through it. (If you get a chance to listen to "Seven Deadly Virtues" I think you'll agree that he can carry a tune, but he's no match for Hal Linden, who played the alternating Scrooge for the play) -- However, I'm sure Hal was as good character-wise, as ol' Roddy.

At the end, he actually goes into the audience with the children in the cast carrying a basket of candy that he gives to all the children in the audience.

It was a great performance, and really made the holiday season for me this year!

Lisa

William B. Davis plays the "Cigarette smoking man" on the X-Files TV series.

--LadyMara

Subject: RM video release

Hi everyone,

I saw this surfing, don't know exactly what video stores would have it or how much it would cost. Roddy made this film back in 1995 but it was never released.

...Sally..

Cinemania

Recent Video Releases
FEBRUARY 17

Sci-fi
thriller

Star Hunter
An alien predator travels to Earth to hunt for human prey; Roddy McDowall.
New Horizons

Welcome Catherine and Kari.....hope you have fun!
Janet

>> Those with internet access might be interested in visiting
>> http://web.ukonline.co.uk/craig.pierce2/roddy.html.

Hmmmm,

I see one of our newest members according to the clan/contact page has the same name as this fella's website - Craig Pierce. Could this be the same guy? Speak up.

...Sally..

Subject: RE: The Oscars Long Past!

>I just recently joined your group, so hello! I read once that when the
>movie Cleopatra came out, the ballots for the Oscars were screwed up, and
>none of the cast appeared as choices because of a technical error. If
>not for this, Roddy McDowall would have at least been nominated for an
>Oscar for his portrayal of Octavian. He was sent some kind of honorary,
>"thank-you very much, but we messed up" congratulations award. Any truth
>to that story? (I loved his hair in that film, by the way.)
>
> Thanks,
> K.

Here is the contents of that letter - which I believe is true, but I never asked.

February 20, 1964

An Open Letter To Roddy McDowall

Dear Roddy:

         We feel it is important that the industry realize that your electrifying performance as Octavian in "Cleopatra," which was unanimously singled out by the critics as one of the best supporting performances by an actor this year, is not eligible for an Academy Award nomination in that category.

         Your performance was classified in the best actor category due to a regrettable error on the part of 20th Century-Fox. Upon discovery we notified the Academy Board of Directors, but due to their bylaws, it was too late for you to be re-classified. Therefore all votes cast for you in the supporting category will be disqualified.

         Please accept our heartfelt apologies,

20th Century-Fox

I also like his hair in this film.

...Sally..

Subject: Is Paris Burning?

>> I found on a few sites that Roddy appeared in the movie "is Paris
>> Burning?" I've bought the movie, but cannot find him in it. Did he
>> appear in this movie?
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Ken Buck 357mag@gte.net

Hi,

Here is what I found out:

According to the FILMS IN REVIEW October 1988, pg. 470, RM's biography, "Some filmographies list ...Is Paris Burning" (the 1966 film which, states RM, "some people confuse with The Longest Day," and in which he did not appear).

From this list of credits, RM did not appear in this movie.

Jean-Paul Belmondo (Morandat)
Charles Boyer (Monod)
Leslie Caron (Francoise Labe)
Jean-Pierre Cassel (Lt. Henri Karcher)
George Chakiris (GI in Tank)
Claude Dauphin (Lebel)
Alain Delon (Jacques Chaban-Delmas)
Kirk Douglas (Gen. George Patton)
Glenn Ford (Gen. Omar Bradley)
Gert Frobe (Gen. Dietrich von Choltitz)
Daniel Gelin (Yves Bayet)
E G Marshall (Intelligence Officer Powell)
Yves Montand (Marcel Bizien)
Anthony Perkins (Sgt. Warren)
Claude Rich (Gen. Jacques Leclerc)
Simone Signoret (Cafe Proprietress)
Robert Stack (Gen. Edwin Sibert)
Jean-Louis Trintignant (Serge)
Pierre Vaneck (Maj. Roger Gallois)
Marie Versini (Claire)
Skip Ward (GI with Warren)
Orson Welles (Consul Raoul Nordling)
Bruno Cremer (Col. Rol)
Suzy Delair (A Parisienne)
Pierre Dux (Parodi)
Billy Frick (Hitler)
Harry Meyen (von Arnim)
Hannes Messemer (Jodl)
Michel Piccoli (Pisani)
Sacha Pitoeff (Joliot-Curie)
Wolfgang Preiss (Ebernach)
Michel Berger (Chief of Explosives)
Gehrard Borman (van Choltitz's Secretary)
Georges Claisse (Intern with Monod)
Germaine de France (Old Woman)
Doc Ericson (Jeep Driver)
Michel Etcheverry (Luizet)
Pascal Fardoulis (Gilet)
Bernard Fresson (Liaison Agent)
Ernst Fritz Furbringer (von Boineburg)
Clara Gansard (Wife of Col. Rol)
Rol Gauffin (Consul Nordling's Secretary)
Georges Geret (Comm. George)
Michel Gonzales (Jacques)
Konrad Georg (von Model)
Claus Holm (Huhm)
Jean-Pierre Honore (Alain Perpezat)
Peter Jacob (Gen. Burgdorf)
Catherine Kamenka (Diane)
Billy Kearns (Patton Aide)
Joelle Latour (Young Girl with Warren)
Michel Lonsdale (Debu-Bridel)
Roger Lumont ("Jade Amicol")
Maria Machado (Stella)
Aime de March (Roland Pre)
Felix Marten (Landrieu)
Paloma Matta (The Bride)
Pierre Mirat (Cafe Propietor)
Harald Momm (Col. Jay)
Georges Montant (Doctor)
Russ Moro (Lieutenant with Warren)
Del Negro (Officer with Chaban-Delmas)

I don't need to go on, we're past the "M's".

...Sally..

Subject: Happy Birthday Greetings

Hi everybody,

For those that didn't remember or those that are new in this group, it's Roxanne's birthday today - 20th - and she is 33 - or wasn't I supposed to tell everyone your age.<ah> I won't tell them next year how old you are then.

                       H A P P Y  B I R T H D A Y !!!!
                              R O X A N N E

Let's all drink a toast to her - <gulp> Aren't birthdays wonderful? Only if you're not having one, right?

...Sally..

Subject: E! News Weekend

Hi,

I caught a glimpse of Roddy on cable's E! News Weekend(20th) for AFI's Lifetime Achievement Award for Robert Wise (Thursday, Feb. 19). He was wearing his black tux with that red scarf again. He looked REAL FINE. The shot was taken just as the stars were entering the Beverly Hilton Hotel - Coconut nightclub(Merv Griffin owns). RM didn't speak.

For those that have cable and E!, it will still be shown during this weekend. You can see him about 25 minutes into the program.

...Sally..

> William B. Davis plays the "Cigarette smoking man" on the X-Files TV
> series.

He also appears in the X-Files movie with Martin Landau, who co-starred with Roddy in Cleopatra and The Greatest Story Ever Told. See, three steps.

How many steps from Johnny Depp to Roddy?

--Mel

Subject: Liz Takes Rod to Meet Roddy

From http://www.nationalenquirer.com:80/mod03/mod03-story-844.html

It Must Be Love!
Liz Takes Rod To Meet Roddy

Liz Taylor is so wild about her new love, Oscar-winner Rod Steiger, that she's even taken him to meet her best friend, Roddy McDowall.

"Liz had been raving about Rod to Roddy for weeks," said a close friend of the legendary actress. "She desperately wanted Roddy's approval, even though she felt Rod was the best thing to happen to her in years.

"One afternoon Roddy finally told her: 'Bring him by. I'll throw a dinner party.'"

Although Rod and Roddy were acquainted over the years, they never got to know each other very well -- until the night Liz and Rod showed up at Roddy's house.

"When Rod called for Liz, she was so excited you'd think he was taking her to the prom. Liz looked elegant and she told Rod, 'There are so many people I want you to meet.'

"But when they arrived at Roddy's, he said, 'Surprise! You two are the party!'

"Roddy prepared a gourmet meal and the two men seemed to genuinely like each other. They talked movies until late into the night. As Liz and Rod were leaving, Roddy pulled Liz aside and whispered, 'This guy is definitely a keeper.'"

"She nodded and told him, 'I've finally found a decent guy. I'm so happy that sometimes I have to pinch myself to make sure I'm not dreaming!'"

-- CHRIS MORGAN

Members with internet access may want to take a look at the photo of Roddy.

--Mel

> I just recently joined your group, so hello! I read once that when the
> movie Cleopatra came out, the ballots for the Oscars were screwed up, and
> none of the cast appeared as choices because of a technical error. If
> not for this, Roddy McDowall would have at least been nominated for an
> Oscar for his portrayal of Octavian. He was sent some kind of honorary,
> "thank-you very much, but we messed up" congratulations award. Any truth
> to that story?

If i'm not mistaken, there's a copy of the letter on the web site. If you can't find it, I think Sally has a copy that she could send you a scan of. Of course, you gotta ask her really nice... :)

BTW, Welcome to our community!

-Paul

Subject: Re: Happy Birthday Greetings

Happy Birthday Roc!!!

My wife's was yesterday. I'm not letting on how old she is. I'd hate to have to get beat. :)

-Paul

> He also appears in the X-Files movie with Martin Landau, who
> co-starred with Roddy in Cleopatra and The Greatest Story Ever Told.
> See, three steps.
         Grrrrr. I missed Martin...

> How many steps from Johnny Depp to Roddy?
         Well, Jonny was in Ed Wood with Martin, so that would make 4 steps... let's me think and see if i can do better...

         Ok, here ya go... (only took about 20 minutes)
Jonny was in Cry Baby as was Troy Donahue. Troy and RM were in Double Trouble together.
         Did it in 2. HA!!!!!

-Paul

Happy Birthday, Roc...one day late. Hope you had a wonderful birthday.
Ah, 33.....seems so young.

Janet

Subject: Re[2]: Our swelling ranks

JANET wrote:
> Welcome Catherine and Kari.....hope you have fun!

Don't forget Craig Pierce... He's new, too.

Of course, I probably forgot to mention him...

Modem went CRASH last week... spent several days trying to figure out if it was my system or the modem ... connection speeds of 7,200 (PERIOD), and getting disconnected every 30 seconds - 4 minutes - just weren't cutting it... Finally had to break down and buy a new one.

All should be well, now.

WELCOME NEW MEMBERS! DON'T BE SHY, DIVE RIGHT IN!

--Roc

Subject: RM's NY bar

Hi everybody,

Just doing a bit of surfin' again and spotted this:

...Sally..

http://www.homeslice.com/html/wateringholes.htm

WATERING HOLES

Check you livers at the door, kids. It's beverage time!!

The HOMEYS all love different activities. So the beverage is the common denominator. This could be problematic if they were at a different stage in their lives, however, currently the HOMEY’s love running around finding all the most interesting places to imbibe. In fact, Homeys may never make it to a different stage in their lives - this one is too much fun! A word of advice: stay out of the West Village on weekends.

...<snip>...

PJ Clarke’s 3rd Ave. & 55th. Another good old Irish place. The owner of this place refused to sell out when a skyscraper was going up on this block (it's now a landmark, what a dumbass!), so you have this cool old 2-story bar next to this huge building. Good place for a liquid lunch. H used to go here with Doyle and Strollo for a couple of burgers and a couple of Guinnesses for lunch. Occaisionally, you'll run into some down and out celebrity who also likes his/her booze. Homeys have seen Roddy McDowell and Joan Rivers in here.

Subject: RE: Liz Takes Rod to Meet Roddy

>From http://www.nationalenquirer.com:80/mod03/mod03-story-844.html
>
>         It Must Be Love!
>         Liz Takes Rod To Meet Roddy
>
>         Liz Taylor is so wild about her new love, Oscar-winner Rod
>         Steiger, that she's even taken him to meet her best friend,
>         Roddy McDowall.

This also appeared in last week's print edition (so I bought it...) But the web site picture is clearer!

Beth

Subject: RE: RM film credits, maybe

MEL wrote:
>The following titles are part of RM's filmography in the book Film
>Lover's Companion (ed. David Quinlan, pub. Citadel Press, ISBN
>0-8065-1892-8):
>
>         Kiss of Gold (1981)
>         Deceptions (1985, TV)
>         Shadow of Death (1987)
>         The Edison Effect (1987)
>         Prodigy (1991)

Okay,

"Deceptions" - NBC 5/27-28/1985
Starred Stefanie Powers in dual roles, about twin sisters swopping lives and identities for a week. Which RM was *not* in, but was most likely mistaken for his earlier mini-series, "Hollywood Wives" ABC 2/17-19/1985 which had Stefanie Powers in also.

I believe there's the last two movies to check on yet, but I'm sure RM didn't do those either.

...Sally..

Subject: Upcoming RM film

From http://www.pioneerplanet.com/seven-days/4/justgo/docs/010827.htm

Robert Forster, a best-supporting-actor Oscar nominee for his portrayal of sympathetic bail bondsman Max Cherry in "Jackie Brown," will next star in the independently financed "Great Sex." The ensemble film also stars David Thewlis, Fairuza Balk, Amanda Plummer and Roddy MacDowall. The serio-comic adult thriller, set in Miami, centers on a burned-out action star who enlists a body double and a gay detective to help him unravel the mystery of his wife's death. The film is expected to go into production in mid-June. Forster made his name as an actor in the mid-1960s in John Huston's "Reflections in a Golden Eye," which starred Elizabeth Taylor and Marlon Brando, and Haskell Wexler's landmark docudrama, "Medium Cool," in which he played a TV cameraman whose objectivity is undercut by events at the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago.

--Mel

Subject: RM Films

Does anyone know how I might be able to get my hands on a copy of Unlikely Angel ? I think it was a made for T.V. special, so I don't think I can order it through a video store -- but it sounds pretty good.

Anyway... If anyone has it on tape, I would be more than happy to supply a blank tape and shipping if someone could tape it for me.

Thanks y'all

Lisa

>> From http://www.nationalenquirer.com:80/mod03/mod03-story-844.html
>>
>>         It Must Be Love!
>>         Liz Takes Rod To Meet Roddy
>>
>>         Liz Taylor is so wild about her new love, Oscar-winner Rod
>>         Steiger, that she's even taken him to meet her best friend,
>>         Roddy McDowall.
>>
> This also appeared in last week's print edition (so I bought
> it...) But the web site picture is clearer!
>
> Beth

Hey Beth (Danielle's Mommy),

What was the date on that edition. The website didn't show what edition it was in.

...Sally..

Speaking of his singing.....I remember an old Mike Douglas show (when they had music/variety instead of just talk) from the 60s.....Roddy was on and he sang Bye Bye Blackbird.....and, yes, he can carry a tune.

L.Mara

> Speaking of his singing.....I remember an old Mike Douglas show (when
> they had music/variety instead of just talk) from the 60s.....Roddy was
> on and he sang Bye Bye Blackbird.....and, yes, he can carry a tune.

Anybody got a copy???

-Paul

Subject: Hello Everyone

Hello Everyone,
l must of done something wrong. l sent this last weekend, but it didn't seem to get through. l'm new to the list, my name is Craig Pierce.

l live on the south coast of the U.K. in a city called Portsmouth and l'm 33.

Growing up in the 70's l watched many American TV shows which turned out to be real favourite's of mine. In the U.K. back then we only had three channels.

Roddy turned up in many show's that were aired - Fantastic Journey, Columbo, Planet of the Apes, Twilight Zone, The Invaders and of course movies.

-------Sally Wrote------
>I see one of our newest members according to the clan/contact page
>has the same name as this fella's website - Craig Pierce.
>Could this be the same guy?

Hello Sally,
yep!!, lt's me.

l look forward to being part of this list.

thanks
Craig.

Subject: Sci-Fi Channel Europe

If anyone has access to Sci-Fi Channel Europe, this is their schedule for March. All times quoted are broadcast times in the UK.

CONQUEST OF THE PLANET OF THE APES
Sunday, March 1st at 22:30 cable & satellite

The fourth in the box-office blockbusting Planet of the Apes series. Caesar (played by Ape film veteran Roddy McDowall) plans a revolt that he hopes will free his simian brothers from human oppression.
FRIGHT NIGHT
Friday, March 13th at 22:00 cable & satellite
Spectacular special effects abound when a teenager enlists the help of a has-been horror movie actor to vanquish the vampires living next door. But the late-night TV star turns out to be a far cry from his fearless film role characters, and only agrees to get involved when the boy's girlfriend pays him to dispel his fears. A tongue-in-cheek horror romp, guaranteed to frighten you out of your skin and split your sides.
QUANTUM LEAP
Mondays at 22:00 cable & satellite
Sam Beckett leaps from one bizarre identity to another, accompanied by his hologram companion Al, in this much loved time travel adventure series with a tender touch.

--Mel

Subject: George Burns VHS

In case anyone's interested:

Subject: I have GEORGE BURNS COMEDY WEEK
From: thezbleeds@aol.com (Thezbleeds)
Date: 1998/02/18
Newsgroups: alt.tv.sctv

I have several episodes of the 1985 anthology series GEORGE BURNS COMEDY WEEK on VHS. Hosted by George Burns, I have episodes starring Catherine O'Hara, Tim Matheson, Eugene Levy, Fred Willard, Joe Piscopo, Robert Klein, James Whitmore, Roddy McDowell, Ed Begley Jr., Samantha Eggar and Michael McKean. Anyone interested? Sale or trade.

Trace

--Mel

> > How many steps from Johnny Depp to Roddy?
>         Ok, here ya go... (only took about 20 minutes)
> Jonny was in Cry Baby as was Troy Donahue. Troy and RM were in
> Double Trouble together.
>         Did it in 2. HA!!!!!

Okay, so that wasn't very challenging.
Let's try Roddy to ... Wayne Alexander.

--Mel

Subject: Hello, Craig!!!!!

And welcome to the group. We've already communicated with each other (sort of). I signed your guest book saying that I was glad that someone else remembered "Fantastic Journey" as fondly as I did, and you sent an e-mail thanking me.

I guess that cyberspace is a small world.

Cheryl

Roddy to Wayne Alexander - Easy one Mel!

Wayne Alexander was in "Mr. Wrong" with Bill Pullman (he grew up in southern NY - near to my home) and Bill was in "Going Under" with Roddy.

Ponder this one - Roddy to silent film star Mary Pickford. (My father is a silent film buff. Personally, they give me the willies.)

Cheryl

Subject: Re: George Burns VHS

>         Subject: I have GEORGE BURNS COMEDY WEEK
>         From: thezbleeds@aol.com (Thezbleeds)
>
>         I have several episodes of the 1985 anthology series GEORGE
>         BURNS COMEDY WEEK on VHS. Hosted by George Burns, I have
>         episodes starring Catherine O'Hara, Tim Matheson, Eugene
>         Levy, Fred Willard, Joe Piscopo, Robert Klein, James
>         Whitmore, Roddy McDowell, Ed Begley Jr., Samantha Eggar and
>         Michael McKean. Anyone interested? Sale or trade.

She wants $10.00 plus shipping and handling. I thought that was too much, so I turned her down.

...Sally..

RM Tribute: Frames | RM Tribute: No Frames | Contact Us | Musgrave Foundation