RMGROUP mail
February 1997

Subject: Double Exposure: Take Three

I just found a book store here in the area that has copies of RM's Double Exposure: Take Three for only $12.00. I'm willing to sell them to anyone that wants one at cost +shipping. Let me know if you want one and I'll round up enuf copies for everyone.< br>
-Paul
crah@toolcity.net

Subject: RE: Double Exposure: Take Three

At 02:57 AM 2/6/97 -0800, PAUL wrote:
>I just found a book store here in the area that has copies of RM's Double
>Exposure: Take Three for only $12.00. I'm willing to sell them to anyone
>that wants one at cost +shipping. Let me know if you want one and I'll
>round up enuf copies for everyone.

Hello! Is it too late to get me one?

Beth
Danielle's Mommy (AKA Beth)

Subject: RE: Double Exposure: Part Three

At 02:57 AM 2/6/97 -0800, you wrote:
>I just found a book store here in the area that has copies of RM's Double
>Exposure: Take Three for only $12.00. I'm willing to sell them to anyone
>that wants one at cost +shipping. Let me know if you want one and I'll
>round up enuf copies for everyone.

Hello! Is it too late to get me one?
Beth
-------------------

of course not! You're my 3rd reply. Send me a check for $16 at:
Paul Worley
600 McClure Ave
Sharon, PA 16146

-Paul
crah@toolcity.net

Subject: RM guest voice

Hi Gang,

I saw this surfing with Infoseek:

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/3512/jqcine.htm

This article is from the October 1996 issue of Cinefantastique.

THE REAL ADVENTURES OF JONNY QUEST

Older and bolder, the cartoon quester returns on Turner TV.

by F. Colin Kingston

Making its debut this fall on all three Turner TV networks, The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest updates the old show while remaining true to the familiar formula. The new series,for which an initial run of 65 episodes has been ordered, boasts an impressive cast:

George Segal (The Terminal Man) is Dr Benton Quest; Robert Patrick (Terminator 2) is Roger "Race" Bannon; J.D.Roth (First Born) is Jonny, now 14 years old; Michael Benyear (Friday the 13th: Jason Takes Manhattan) is Hadji, who has been promoted to being D r Quest's assistant; Jesse P. Douglas The Outsider) plays Race's daughter, Jessie, a character not in the original series; and legendary voice-over actor Frank Welker provides the bark for Bandit. The list of guest voices reads like a who's-who for genre fans: Mark Hamill (Star Wars), Roddy McDowall (Planet of the Apes) and Marc Singer (Beastmaster) are but a few of those lending their talents to villains and other characters.

...Sally..
Sally Mierop
rm_fan@cyberdrive.net

Subject: RE: RM guest voice

>The list of guest voices reads like a who's-who for genre fans:
>Mark Hamill (Star Wars), Roddy McDowall (Planet of the Apes) and Marc Singer
>(Beastmaster) are but a few of those lending their talents to villains and
>other characters.

Oh come now, what cartoon show doesn't want to use RM as a villain voice-over, I mean he is the best there is. (Close seconds, though, would have to be David Warner, John Glover, and Tim Curry!) ;)

--Brian Stewart

Subject: RM's been spotted

If anyone is interested what RM has been doing lately:
Apparently he has been seen mingling with his compeers.

...Sally..

Monday, February 3, 1997 Los Angeles Times CALENDAR

     RSVP
     Hollywood at Its 1-Dimensional Best

     By BRIDGET BYRNE, Special to The Times

     Joan Collins is portrayed lying enticingly on a sofa,
     Dominick Dunne writing intensely in one of his little green
     notebooks, Billy Wilder staring forth with owlish authority.

     As captured in oil on canvas by Sacha Newley,
     Hollywood's rich, famous and intriguing were on display along
     with other portraits by the young British artist at a cocktail
     reception opening his first American show at the Chateau
     Marmont on Thursday night.

     Collins was there not only as an admirer, but also as the
     proud mother of Newley, her son from her marriage to
     actor-singer Tony Newley. "His talent popped out of the blue,"
     she said of the self-taught artist. "Neither Tony nor I can draw
     anything but stick figures."

     Collins said she thought she had been "a better sitter than
     most," although the pose chosen was uncomfortable to hold for
     long.

     Newley said that for a portrait he needs at least four live
     sittings and some time to take photographs. "Unless you are
     Lucian Freud, you can't ask for more than that," he said. "This
     is the worst time to be a portrait painter because it's the age
     of anxiety and no one feels able to sit still and there are so
     many intrusions like ringing phones. But, actually it is easier
     to get likeness when someone is moving. You see more facets
     of them at once then."

     Dunne, whose portrait drew the most praise, said, "I told
     Sacha I can't just sit there, so I just worked away, writing in
     my notebooks."

     "It's marvelous, though the first time I've seen you with your
     tie totally correct," David Niven Jr. told Dunne.
     The evening got more crowded as more and more flocked
     in and stayed to chat, particularly with the artist, whose other
     work on view included portraits of Gore Vidal, Oliver Stone
     and Nigel Hawthorne in his "The Madness of King George"
     role. Among the guests were Betsy Bloomingdale with son
     Robert and daughter-in-law Justine; Helmut and June Newton;
     Ed Moses; Sharon Stone; Barnaby, Mary and Kendall
     Conrad; RODDY McDOWALL; Stefanie Powers; Frank Bowling;
     and Newley's sister, Katy Cass.

Monday, February 10, 1997 Los Angeles Times CALENDAR

     RSVP
     Woodward and Her Happy Campers

     By LAURIE K. SCHENDEN, Times Staff Writer

     It takes "a huge reason," said Joanne Woodward, to get her
     on a train west from her Westport, Conn., home of 36 years.
     (She hates to fly.)

     The Rowdy Ridge Gang Camp meets the requirement.
     And enthusiasm for the camp spread faster than poison ivy at a
     party Thursday in honor of Woodward, co-chairwoman with
     Sherry Lansing of the 3-year-old San Gabriel Mountains camp
     for women and their children who have been affected by drugs
     or violence in their homes.

     The party took place at Deborah Raffin and Michael
     Viner's newly remodeled 4,500-square-foot Beverly Hills
     showplace with his-and-her offices and a fireplace in the
     master bathroom ("Deborah's present to me," Viner said).
     Guests ate hors d'oeuvres including filet mignon wrapped in
     puff pastry, spicy tuna on cucumber slices and radicchio--and
     the Newman's Own all-organic chocolate bar, smuggled into
     the party via Woodward's purse--and saw a slide show about
     happy campers at Rowdy Ridge.

     Following the brief slide presentation, Michael York said,
     "This sounded like a wonderful idea when I came in. Now, I
     think it's a brilliant idea."

     The idea for the camp started several years ago with
     Woodward and Jacqueline McDonald, executive director of
     the Scott Newman Center, the drug education program
     founded by Woodward and husband Paul Newman. "At that
     time, we were dealing with kids who were drug-affected
     babies, babies who were born of mothers who were on drugs,"
     Woodward said.

     The camp gives mothers and children a chance to bond in a
     safe, friendly and fun environment. Many of the children are
     canoeing or horseback riding or walking in the woods for the
     first time. For some, McDonald said, the camp is their first
     exposure to a positive male role model.

     Though Woodward didn't solicit money on this night, she
     did share the camp "wish list," which includes everything from
     soda pop to vans to transport campers. "What I'm hoping for
     is that we will be able to grow," she said, "because we have a
     waiting list of women who want to be there and need to be
     there."

     Among those hearing the message were Nina Foch, York
     with his wife Pat, Barry Kaye, newscaster Kelly Lang, RODDY
     McDOWALL, Army and Selma Archerd, former L.A. Ram
     Johnnie Johnson, Fay Kanin, Victor and Loryn Drai, Jeannie
     and Peter Wolf, and Shadoe and Beverly Stevens.

Sally Mierop
rm_fan@cyberdrive.net

Subject: RE: RM news

Thanks, Sally, for sharing the news about what Roddy's been up to lately. I especially loved the item about Sacha Newley, Joan Collins' son, and his art. (BTW, his name is really Alexander, but he's always been called Sacha/Sasha). I've been a Tony New ley/Joan Collins fan for about as long as I've been a fan of Roddy's and, in fact, I think the first time I saw Roddy was after he'd been to a performance of Tony Newley's play "The Roar of the Greasepaint, The Smell of the Crowd" on Broadway. This was so m etime in the mid-60's (oh, I'm really dating myself now, aren't I ??). There was a bunch of us who used to hang around the stage door in Shubert Alley every weekend just to see Tony...and there were lots of other actors who'd come to see the play an d then go backstage afterwards to say hi to him and Joan, who was often there after the show. [Wow!! Amazingly, I just found the picture of Roddy I took then - yes, definitely, he'd been to see the play, and I got an autograph and picture. This was on October 23, 1965. And yes, Janeen...as soon as I can find the negative I'll make you a copy of the picture.] [Omigod, I just found the negative! You have to know what total chaos my apartment is in to appreciate what a *miracle* this is!! Okay, Janeen , I'm taking it to the photo shop right now, while I actually have it in hand !!]

At any rate, we all got to know Tony and Joan...and even Tony's mother! Tara (Tony and Joan's daughter) was about 2 at the time, and Sacha had just been born. We got fantastic pictures of both kids (thanks to Tony's mother, who was thrilled to death tha t we were fans of her son's!). They were all living in Paul Newman's and Joanne Woodward's New York apartment at the time (Tony and Joan and their family, I mean), near Central Park, and we fans used to wait around outside the building and walk to the pa rk with Tony's mother when she'd take the two kids there, and she'd let us take as many pictures as we wanted.

BTW, the Katy Cass that's mentioned in the article is Sacha's half-sister - same mother, but her father is Ron Cass (Kass?). When she was about 8 years old or so, Katy was hit by a car and very seriously injured. The doctors just about gave up all hope for any kind of a recovery for her, but Joan Collins left her career and devoted all her waking moments to working with Katy for a number of years, and last I heard, her devotion, dedication and hard work paid off and Katy had a very good recovery. I thi nk Joan even wrote a book about the whole experience at the time, to give other parents hope...of course you rarely hear about it (and I don't know if it would even still be in print by now) in the wake of some of her other books which the press delights in trashing. But then, we know the media can be very short-sighted.

Anyways, it was very interesting to read about Sacha being "all grown up" now and working as an artist. Brought back a lot of very wonderful memories! And it even all ties in with Roddy !!

Lynne Ackerman
gnbv32c@prodigy.com

At 03:24 PM 2/19/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Thanks, Sally, for sharing the news about what Roddy's been up to
>lately. I especially loved the item about Sacha Newley, Joan Collins'
>son, and his art. (BTW, his name is really Alexander, but he's always
>been called Sacha/Sasha). I've been a Tony Newley/Joan Collins fan
>for about as long as I've been a fan of Roddy's and, in fact, I think
>the first time I saw Roddy was after he'd been to a performance of
>Tony Newley's play "The Roar of the Greasepaint, The Smell of the
>Crowd" on Broadway. This was sometime in the mid-60's (oh, I'm really
>dating myself now, aren't I ??). There was a bunch of us who used
>to hang around the stage door in Shubert Alley every weekend just to
>see Tony...and there were lots of other actors who'd come to see the
>play and then go backstage afterwards to say hi to him and Joan, who
>was often there after the show. [Wow!! Amazingly, I just found the
>picture of Roddy I took then - yes, definitely, he'd been to see the
>play, and I got an autograph and picture. This was on October 23,
>1965. And yes, Janeen...as soon as I can find the negative I'll make
>you a copy of the picture.] [Omigod, I just found the negative! You
>have to know what total chaos my apartment is in to appreciate what a
>*miracle* this is!! Okay, Janeen, I'm taking it to the photo shop
>right now, while I actually have it in hand !!]

Wow, Lynne, that's some marvelous nostalgia! Ah-ha! So you're that old, huh? How about sharing that photo with the rest of us here? Could you get a scan done so we could add it to the website? I know *we* would just luv to see it, wouldn't we?

> They were all living in Paul Newman's and Joanne
>Woodward's New York apartment at the time (Tony and Joan and their
>family, I mean), near Central Park, and we fans used to wait around

And I bet you *didn't* know that Roddy lived right there too in Central Park West overlooking Central Park. He might of looked out the window from his apartment one day and *saw* you out there with the kids!

>outside the building and walk to the park with Tony's mother when
>she'd take the two kids there, and she'd let us take as many pictures
>as we wanted.

>Anyways, it was very interesting to read about Sacha being "all grown
>up" now and working as an artist. Brought back a lot of very
>wonderful memories! And it even all ties in with Roddy !!

Seems that Roddy is tied in with alot of people in some way or another.

...Sally..
Sally Mierop
rm_fan@cyberdrive.net

Subject: Paul - I lost your address

Paul! I lost your address! Can you resend it - and remind me how much I owe you for the book?

Dana Brewer

Subject: Re: RE: RM news

Sally writes:
>Wow, Lynne, that's some marvelous nostalgia! Ah-ha! So you're that
>old, huh?

Of course, what I forgot to mention was that I was a mere babe-in-arms at the time !

>How about sharing that photo with the rest of us here? Could you get
>a scan done so we could add it to the website? I know *we* would
Sorry, but I have a VERY bare-bones system and am barely able to do e-mail, much less anything "fancy". Also, I have some concerns about people I don't know being able to download my "private" picture. However, I'd be glad to make a copy for anyone on th is list who wants one - just e-mail me privately.

>And I bet you *didn't* know that Roddy lived right there too in
>Central Park West overlooking Central Park. He might of looked out
>the window from
Actually, I >didhewe.

Lynne Ackerman

Subject: Re: RE: Double Exposure: Take Three

>Hello! Is it too late to get me one?
>
>Beth
>Danielle's Mommy (AKA Beth)
--------------------

Beth, I picked up the book for you. I'm still waiting for your check tho. .. Have you send it? It's for $16. Send it to me at
Paul Worley
600 McClure Ave
Sharon, PA 16146.

Thanks!

-Paul
crah@infonline.net

Subject: New member

Howdy Everyone!

Just want to let you all know that we have a new member....

  _______  _                           _
 (_______)| |                         | |
  _       | |__   _____   ____  _   _ | |
 | |      |  _ \ | ___ | / ___)| | | || |
 | |_____ | | | || ____|| |    | |_| || |
  \______)|_| |_||_____)|_|     \__  | \_)
                               (____/

That's Cheryl Powell for those of you who don't speak silly ASCII art.

If I've done things correctly, Cheryl should be reading this right now... so everyone play nice!

;-)

--Roc

Subject: Hello

     As the newest member of the group, I just wanted to say "Hi" and introduce myself to everyone. My name is Cheryl Powell and I live in Coudersport, PA.

     I am relatively new to the internet and was thrilled to find so many RM fans who were so active. I have been a fan since the days of the "Planet of the Apes" television series. (I was about 12 or 13 at the time). I credit Roddy for my love of theatre and my degree in English literature. (He always did so well at literature questions on "Hollywood Squares").

     I look forward to hearing from you all.

Cheryl

Subject: Hi Cheryl

Hi Cheryl :) Welcome to the group:)

Everybody: I'm still alive, but school work is piling up...ahhh! (I'm about redy to pull my hair out)
Melissa.....where are you???? Are you still alive???:)

>Beth, I picked up the book for you. I'm still waiting for your check tho.
>.. Have you send it? It's for $16. Send it to me at
>Paul Worley
>600 McClure Ave
>Sharon, PA 16146.

Sorry for not sending-my hard drive is failing and I have on/off access to e-mail, etc. Will get out this week.
Beth

Subject: RE: Hello

Cheryl of RMGROUP wrote:

>      I am relatively new to the internet and was thrilled to find so many
> RM fans who were so active. I have been a fan since the days of the
> "Planet of the Apes" television series. (I was about 12 or 13 at the
> time). I credit Roddy for my love of theatre and my degree in English
> literature. (He always did so well at literature questions on "Hollywood
> Squares").
>
>      I look forward to hearing from you all.

      Now *that's* what I like to see, a new member who's not shy about anything! I guess I don't have to go through the "please introduce yourself and tell us about how you got to be an RM fan" speech. Hmmm... Say, Cheryl, you wouldn't be a mind-reader as well, would you?

      Since I'm still a little uncertain about how clear the layout of the site is, let me tell you (and remind all the others) that we do have a page (pages) dedicated specifically to the members of the mailing list. Those who've been able to provide pictures are shown there, and those who are interested can have (free) a mini-homepage. All of this can be found at:

http://www.xmoppet.org/clan/whozzat.html

      Back messages are put online on a monthly basis, and Mel (our member from the Philipines) does the message tracking -- so if you ever feel you missed a day or two, and don't want to wait til the end of the month, contact h er about catching up. (Hi Mel!)

      If you have *any* questions or suggestions, please don't hesitate to voice them!

      Once again, welcome to the family!

--Roc

Subject: RE: Paul - I lost your address

>Paul! I lost your address! Can you resend it - and remind me how much
>I owe you for the book?
--------------------------
Um..... You already sent me your check. (I haven't cashed it yet, but...) Don't you remember? Anyway, finding an envelope for it is proving difficult. Manillas aren't big enuf and the post office want too much money for theirs. it won't take long tho...

-Paul
crah@infonline.net

On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, RMGROUP wrote:

> >Paul! I lost your address! Can you resend it - and remind me how much
> >I owe you for the book?
> --------------------------
> Um..... You already sent me your check. (I haven't cashed it yet, but...)
> Don't you remember? Anyway, finding an envelope for it is proving diffic
> ult. Manillas aren't big enuf and the post office want too much money for
> theirs. it won't take long tho...

Does this tell you what it's like on this end?!!!!!

Dana Brewer

At 08:49 AM 2/25/97 -0800, you wrote:
>     As the newest member of the group, I just wanted to say "Hi" and
>introduce myself to everyone. My name is Cheryl Powell and I live in
>Coudersport, PA.

We've already chatted a bit awhile back, Cheryl, but I want to say 'Welcome'.

>     I am relatively new to the internet and was thrilled to find so many
>RM fans who were so active. I have been a fan since the days of the
>"Planet of the Apes" television series. (I was about 12 or 13 at the
>time). I credit Roddy for my love of theatre and my degree in English
>literature. (He always did so well at literature questions on "Hollywood
>Squares").

Don't we all wish video was available back when he was on Hollywood Squares. He was quite the intellect.

...Sally..

Subject: Hello, Sally

Hello. It was nice to hear from you again. I agree that RM was quite an intellect on those old "Hollywood Squares." I seem to remember watching him on a number of game shows around that time period, but I can't remember what the rest were. Does anyone ?

Cheryl

Subject: RE: Doule-Exposure, Take Three

>Sorry for not sending-my hard drive is failing and I have on/off access
>to e-mail, etc. Will get out this week.
--------------------

Cool. I was getting worried. I'll keep my eye out for it. :)

-Paul
crah@infonline.net

>     As the newest member of the group, I just wanted to say "Hi" and
>introduce myself to everyone. My name is Cheryl Powell and I live in
>Coudersport, PA.
------------------------
What part of the state is Coudersport? I live in Sharon Pa, 1/2 way between Erie and Pittsburgh, on the Ohio border. This kinda makes us neighbors, eh?

>     I am relatively new to the internet and was thrilled to find so many
>RM fans who were so active. I have been a fan since the days of the
>"Planet of the Apes" television series. (I was about 12 or 13 at the
>time).
----------------------
This would put you close to my age. I'm 32. What about you?

-Paul
crah@infonline.net

Subject: Win, Lose or Draw

Hi All!

I've got a tape of that Win, Lose, or Draw that RM was in. In fact, I *think* there are already screen captures from it up on the website, but I could be wrong.

As soon as I'm finished unpacking, or at least get the computer stuff completely set up, I'll be able to make new captures again... including some stuff I picked up off of A&E's "20th Century Fox: the First 50 Years" just the other day. And, of course, I' ll look for that game show tape as well.

--Roc

Subject: Hello, Paul

Thanks for your message. Coudersport is on the New York border about half way between Erie and the New Jersey border. They say that we are the most isolated area east of the Mississippi River and I believe. Until 1996 it was 50 miles to the nearest McD onalds.

We are nearly the same age. I'm 34.

Cheryl

Subject: RE: Hello, Sally

Cheryl,

RM was also on one called "Win, Lose, or Draw" with Vicki Lawrence as the host.
I have some of those game shows taped. I'm not sure I can locate them readily.

Janet

Subject: RE: Hello, Paul

> Coudersport is on the New York border about half
>way between Erie and the New Jersey border.
--------------------
How far is that from Buffalo? My wife and i will be heading up that way the 1st part of April. We're actually heading to Toronto (where list-member Lynn Ackerman lives....HI LYNN!!!) Can't wait to finally meet her! But since this is our vacation week, we'll be shooting all over that 'neck of the woods' .

We are nearly the same age. I'm 34.
-------------
So you're just over a year older than me. Don't you dare call me a young whippersnapper! :)

-Paul
crah@infonline.net

Welcome,

We are a great and very diversified group. We have Roddy in common and we love sci-fi, movies in general and more.
I've been a RM fan since 1965 and I always felt like I was alone, a fan club of one, for all these years. Isn't the internet wonderful. It has brought all of us together.

Kyoko

----------
>      As the newest member of the group, I just wanted to say "Hi" and
> introduce myself to everyone. My name is Cheryl Powell and I live in
> Coudersport, PA.
>
>      [snip] ... I look forward to hearing from you all.
>
> Cheryl

Subject: pending B5 tour

Hello Gang!

     Well, I finally heard back from my friend, Dark.... the one who is the propmaster for Babylon 5. We're meeting for dinner Monday -- after my tour of the set and introduction to the various people therein. Yeeha, as they say. It also turns out that Bret, one of my roommates, has this friend Pat who also works at B5 -- and she's been seeking some Internet advice so Bret, who had previously told her to give me a call, told her that I would be on the set Monday and she should try to find me so we could chat. Fine, says I. I'll look for her. Pat who? Or what department does she work in. Why, Bret says, Patricia Tallman... you know, the actress who plays Lita Alexander.

     Great. Wonderful. One of my favorite characters on the show, and I have to give her Internet lessons on the spot without making a great heaving idiot of myself. Sigh. If I don't die of embarassment on the spot, I will be most certain to fill everyone in on what happens when I get home Monday night. Wish me luck. I've this sinking feeling that I'll need it. ;->

--Roc

RM Tribute: Frames | RM Tribute: No Frames | Contact Us | Musgrave Foundation