RMGROUP mail
October 1997

Subject: RE: oops

At 12:20 AM 9/21/97 -0700, Paul wrote:
>How could I?!?!?
>Yesterday passed with me forgetting to send Roddy a mental birthday
>greeting!?!?! Oh, Woe is me!
>
>Did everyone else remember??

:->

...Sally..

Subject: RE: Connect game

PAUL challenged:
> Ya know, I'm still waiting for someone to come up with my test...
> RM to Scooby Doo. Can you?

RM to Sandy Duncan, in the Cat from Outer Space.

Sandy Duncan was once a guest voice, "appearing" as herself, on the New Scooby Doo Mysteries.

As was Davy Jones, of the Monkees, once, but not in the same episode

Kathy Riggs
St. Paul, MN

Subject: RE: RM in A Christmas Carol

MEL wrote:
>>From the Philadelphia Inquirer, September 10, 1997 issue:
>
>Two stage and screen veterans, Roddy McDowall and Hal Linden, will
>alternate in the role of Ebenezer Scrooge in Madison Square Garden's
>musical extravaganza A Christmas Carol. Linden and McDowall begin their
>miserly duties Nov. 18, with 96 scheduled performances.
>
>-------------

THE THEATRE:

Here are a week and a half's schedule on which performances RM will be in:

November 21  - 11am
         22  -  1 + 4pm
         23  - 2pm
         26  - 7:30pm
         28  -  2 + 5pm
         29  -  5 + 8pm
         30  -  2pm

December  3  -  11am + 2:30pm
For other dates, use your own quarter to find out!
Phone number: (212)465-6741 and go through the rig-a-ma-row.

There are a total of 97 performances of this play according to Theatre Central.

...Sally..

Subject: RE: Connections..., etc.

Roc,
          I was very sorry to hear about your grandfather. The lack of e-mail didn't bother me too much - except to look up things for the business course I'm taking, I really haven't had much time to play with the computer either.

Matthew,
          Too easy. Roddy and Kevin Bacon were in "The Big Picture" together.

Mel,
          Roddy to Jackie Chan?
1) Roddy to Whoppi Goldberg in "The Magical World Of Chuck Jones."
2) Whoppi to Jackie Chan in "Burn Hollywood Burn, an Alan Smithee Film."

Sally,
          Happy belated birthday. You broke my heart by sending out that story from the Philadelphia Inquirer. Finally, a chance to see Roddy on stage and I'm going to be too pregnant to go anywhere!

Oh, well. I still can't connect Roddy to Scooby Doo, Paul.

Cheryl

Subject: RE: Roddy as Scrooge

Sorry, Sally. It was Mel who broke my heart by sending out that article about Roddy playing Scrooge at Madison Square Garden. I wanted to correct my mistake and not accuse you unfairly.

Cheryl

>Now connect RM to Jackie Chan.

Jackie Chan to Dean Martin in Cannonball Run;
Dean Martin to Stella Stevens in [damn, it was one of the Matt Helm movies]
Stella Stevens to RM in Poseidon Adventure.

Matthew G. Mitchell

Subject: 6 degrees of Roddy McDowall

Someone wanted a RM to Jackie Chan link.

RM to Elizabath Taylor (obviously)

ET to Peirce Brosnan in some awful early 80-s made for TV movie, the name of which mercifully escapes me.

Pierce Brosnan to Michelle Yeoh (aka Michelle Kahn) in the upcoming James Bond movie.

Michele Yeoh (Kahn) in "Supercop" or "First Strike" . She played the "younger sister" in his assigned Chinese family while on assignment in Mainland China.

Kathy RW
St. Paul, MN

A while ago someone challanged connect Toshiro Mifune to RM. Has that been done yet? If not then --

1. Toshiro Mifune to Robert Mitchum in The Winds of War
2. Mitchum to RM in 5 Card Stud

or

1. Toshiro Mifune to Robert Wagner in The Winds of War
2. Wagner to RM in the Hart to Hart pilot film

-- JC

PAUL wrote:
> How could I?!?!?
> Yesterday passed with me forgetting to send Roddy a mental birthday
> greeting!?!?! Oh, Woe is me!
>
> Did everyone else remember??

I sang happy birthday to his autographed photo on my wall before the rest of my family came downstairs. They would have laughed at me.

Kyoko

> Another way is: MG to Willem Dafoe in 'Faraway, So Close'; Dafoe to Gene
> Hackman in 'Mississippi Burning'; then Hackman to RM in 'Poseidon Adventure'
Same number of moves. Good Job!!

> Now connect RM to Jackie Chan.
Ok, Jackie to Ricardo Montalban in Cannonball Run 2.
RM to RM in Escape/Conquest POTA.

Come on people... I'm still waiting for a tuff one. :)
And no one yet has done my Scooby Doo to RM yet... You mean I've stumped EVERYBODY???

-Paul Worley

Subject: Entertainment Weekly

Check out Entertainment Weekly #399/3 Oct page 34/35.

-- JC

Subject: Roddy's scheduled performances

Hi everyone,

Since it didn't cost me, here is the complete 'schedule of performances' by RM for "A CHRISTMAS CAROL."

---------------------------------------
WED.   NOV.19  -  11AM
THURS. NOV.20  -  7:30PM
FRI.   NOV.21  -  11AM
SAT.   NOV.22  -  1PM  4PM
SUN.   NOV.23  -  2PM
WED.   NOV.26  -  7:30PM
FRI.   NOV.28  -  2PM  5PM
SAT.   NOV.29  -  5PM  8PM
SUN.   NOV.30  -  2PM

WED.   DEC.3   -  11AM 2:30PM
THURS. DEC.4   -  7:30PM
SAT.   DEC.6   -  11AM  2PM
SUN.   DEC.7   -  11AM
WED.   DEC.10  -  2:30PM  7:30PM
THURS. DEC.11  -  11AM
FRI.   DEC.12  -  8PM
SAT.   DEC.13  -  5PM   8PM
SUN.   DEC.14  -  2PM   5PM
WED.   DEC.17  -  11AM  2:30PM
THURS. DEC.18  -  7:30PM
FRI.   DEC.19  -  11AM
SAT.   DEC.20  -  11AM  2PM
SUN.   DEC.21  -  11AM
WED.   DEC.24  -  11AM  2PM
FRI.   DEC.26  -  1PM   4PM
SAT.   DEC.27  -  5PM   8PM
SUN.   DEC.28  -  2PM   5PM

THURS. JAN.1   -  5PM   8PM
FRI.   JAN.2   -  2PM
SAT.   JAN.3   -  11AM  2PM
SUN.   JAN.4   -  11AM
------------------------------------

If anybody wishes to know the schedule of Hal Linden, please e-mail me and I'll give you the dates and times.

...Sally..

Hi people,

I know that NYC maybe too far away for some, but how about Florida?

An Afternoon/Evening with Roddy McDowall
Lecture and Photograph Presentation on/by Roddy McDowall.
Where: Florida
When: one week in January, 1998

January 16 - Lakeland, FL (Polk Theater, 127 South Florida Avenue,
             Ph. (941)682-8227)

January 17 - Avon Park, FL

January 18 - Melbourne, FL (Maxwell King Center, 3865 N. Wickham Road)
             Tickets available via ticketmaster.

January 19 - Sun City Center, FL (Kings Point Theater, 2020 Club House Drive,
             Ph. (813)634-9229)
January 20 - Jacksonville, FL (Wilson Center for the Arts, Ph. (904)632-3373)

January 21 - Sarasota, FL (Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall, 777 N. Tamiami
             Trail, Ph. (941)953-3368)

January 22 - Clearwater, FL (Ruth Eckerd Hall in Richard B. Baumgardner Center,
             1111 McMullen Booth Rd.) Tickets available via ticketmaster.

...Sally..

> You broke my heart by sending out that story from
> the Philadelphia Inquirer. Finally, a chance to see Roddy on stage and I'm
> going to be too pregnant to go anywhere!
          When are you due? I don't even remember you mentioning you were expecting... . Have from are you from NYC?

> Oh, well. I still can't connect Roddy to Scooby Doo, Paul.
          Kathy did it. (someone...finally!)
          Sandy Duncun in Cat from outer space. Sandy also guested as herself in the cartoon show.

-Paul Worley

Was that made for TV movie with Pierce Brosnan and Roddy "Around the World in 80 Days"?

Janet

> Too easy. Roddy and Kevin Bacon were in "The Big Picture" together.

Oh, sure.... :=)

Matthew G. Mitchell

> At 12:20 AM 9/21/97 -0700, Paul wrote:
> >How could I?!?!?
> >Yesterday passed with me forgetting to send Roddy a mental birthday
> >greeting!?!?! Oh, Woe is me!
> >
> >Did everyone else remember??

Yes, but I forgot to send one to Sally! Sorry! It's been one heck of a year!

Dana Holland

>Oh, well. I still can't connect Roddy to Scooby Doo, Paul.

Ahem...here we go:

Scooby Doo had a spin off series called The 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo, which starred Vincent Price as Vincent VanGhoul.
Anyone who can't finish it from there should die a horrible fiery death!

See ya in the funny pages,
Brian Stewart

Subject: RE: Enchanted Tales series

Subject: RE: Entertainment Weekly

JC wrote:
>Check out Entertainment Weekly #399/3 Oct page 34/35.

Thanks, JC. I've been looking for this advertisement since July 97. They (stars) did this right after "Carnegie Hall Celebrates the Glorious MGM Musicals" in July 15-16.

...Sally..

Subject: RE: your mail

Wow! I knew about a couple of these Florida events, but I didn't know about the rest!

Dana Brewer

Subject: Scrooge advertisement

October 17, 1997

Hi guys,

If you can get your hands on a two week old New York Times newspaper, Sunday, Oct. 5,1997, check out the Arts section page 7. There's a half page color picture of Hal Linden and RM in Scrooge getup. Don't know if that's how they will look at the play but I assume so.

...Sally..

Subject: RE: 6 degrees of Roddy McDowall

JANET asked:
> Was that made for TV movie with Pierce Brosnan and Roddy "Around the
> World in 80 Days"?

Yes.

-- JC

Subject: RM interview

Check out the current issue of Scarlet Street Magazine - #26 - for a 5-page [w/pictures] interview. This issue also has an article on Fright Night.

If you can't find it at newstands the address is:
Scarlet Street Inc.
P.O. Box 604
Dept 26
Glen Rock, NJ 07452
The price is $5.95. Add $2 for shipping and handling for the first copy and $1.50 for each additional copy for the USA. Canada is $4 per copy and other countries are $6 per copy shipping and handling. They take check or money order - make it our to Scarlet Street Inc.

I checked TCM this Sunday and didn't see any RM-hosted movies, did anyone else check?

-- JC

Subject: Article with RM

Chicago Sun-Times

Title: Huels' hefty charge-card debt

October 21, 1997
by Michael Sneed

Mickey & Julie ...

Cabaret diva Julie Wilson, currently headlining at Toulouse Cognac Bar, turned down a proposal of marriage from Mickey Rooney when she was a young MGM starlet. The two had a reunion of sorts in July when alumni of MGM congregated for a photo shoot at a Manhattan studio. Stars included Wilson, Rooney, Van Johnson, Ann Miller, Roddy McDowall and Arlene Dahl, all in matching red silk pajamas, who climbed into an oversized bed to do a photo layout for a national ad campaign featured in 60 current magazines. So where did the Mick end up in the scene? Next to Julie.
For those who couldn't get their hands on that Entertainment Weekly issue, this is what was in the magazine in color.

...Sally..

RM Tribute: Frames | RM Tribute: No Frames | Contact Us | Musgrave Foundation