RMGROUP mail
October 1998

Subject: McDowall Memorial Scheduled
McDowall Memorial Scheduled

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - A memorial gathering for Roddy McDowall, who died earlier this month, will be held at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences on Nov. 7. The hour-long program will begin at 10 a.m in the Samuel Goldwyn Theater and is open primarily to people who knew him or worked with him, said academy spokeswoman Leslie Unger. Robert Rehme, the academy's president, said his office had received numerous requests from McDowall's industry friends to host a memorial. Rehme said it is unusual for the academy to host such an event but that in this instance it was appropriate: At the time of his Oct. 3 death, McDowall was a board member of the academy -- representing the actors' branch -- and president of the Academy Foundation.

--Mel

Subject: Re: 138 year olds attack Boston University!

         If we're going to meet at the Library, shouldn't we introduce ourselves so we'll know us when we get there? Seriously,since there seems to be a few of us that keep showing up----and I'm new, so maybe you've already done this at some point-----shall we introduce ourselves? My bright idea, so I'll start. My name is Tammy.I'm 36,and except for a few months when I was lucky enough to live in England I have always lived in Ohio. I've been married since 1989 to Ken,(who is English,but I met him here.)We have a daughter,Emma, who is 7,and a son,Gareth(nicknamed "Fuzzy".),who is 3.I'm a stay at home mom,(It steams me when people say, "You don't work?" I say, "I have 2 kids---yeah! I work!") As I have said before,I first saw Roddy in "Bullwhip Griffin" when I was 7,and have been a Roddy fan ever since. There. Who's next?
         Since it's going to keep being brought up,(and I knew it would when he died.),let's say this; would any of us really be surprised to have it confirmed that Roddy was gay? Would any of us care? I'm sure most of us came to the realization at some point that there was almost a certainty that he was. Especially those of us who look at the index of the Elizabeth biographies and read all the pages with Roddy on them.(You know who you are! Yes, I have done it too!) But that was his business,and if he was he preferred to keep it quiet. He was of the older generation and the Old Hollywood system where that kind of thing was not discussed.He was also very private anyway. I'm sure now all the rags at the checkout counters will contain stories about it, but I'd like to think that all the friends whose secrets he so loyally kept all these years will keep their mouths shut. I think they will.
         Is anybody interested in trading videos? I'd like to get some of those Monogram movies and 1970's tv appearances,(There's a lot of sentimentality in my wanting those.The '70's were my adolescent years,and some of Roddy's most drool-worthy moments.),like the Carol Burnett show,and made for tv movies.(The Elevator, Terror in the Sky,etc.)Anyone interested let me know and I'll let you know what I've got. My email is kwsedam@aol.com

Subject: Re: Planet of the Apes

Have you all checked out the nice tributes on the Apes sites? Have a look at the spooky picture on the Spleenworld Planet of the Apes page. It's a great picture; colour,very clear. But that's just it. It's a little too clear. It looks as if he's looking right at you, and I swear the eyes follow you around the room. Too eerie!
Tam

Subject: Re: Obituary

Yes, there is a difference between American and British VCRs. They are totally different systems,(The British is called PAL and the American one is NTSC.),although there are such things as multisytem VCRs.The only place I have seen them is Canada and they are VERY expensive. If you try to play a British video on an American VCR You get a snowy, wiggly,black and white,triple picture, and sound that plays way too fast. I've tried it.
Tam

Subject: Re: Newsgroup movement to secure Lifetime award for RM

That's a thought. We could all send our spare stuff to one person and they could forward it to Diane.So that the 'one person' doesn't end up with a dozen of the same thing we could let them know what we have before we send it and ask if they already have it. (Somehow I feel I'm letting myself in for something...)
Tam

A Lifetime Achievement Award that's ,sadly, long overdue. The academy should at least give him that. After giving so much of his support to the film industry, recognition of his talent would be a wonderful way of remembering him. Is there anything we can do? Also, does anyone think that a gift of a donation to his favorite charity in Roddy's honor would be a good idea? Perhaps to the nursing home where his sister Virginia lives. I'm sorry, I don't remember the name of it, but I know it's connected with the acting industry . Help, does anyone know ? I thought it would be nice to let her know how much we all loved and admired him What do you think?
Thanks, Janet

Subject: gather

BTW, my point in writing about the responses I got from Roddy was that it showed what a thoughtful and 'real' person he was. I expected to *maybe* receive a mass produced autographed picture - within 6 months time - if lucky. To receive personal responses in just days, floored me. It proved he truly was a sincere man. Tell me, what other person in *Hollywood* would give their time like that and be so personal toward fan letters?

As for scanning them for you Paul, I have a non-functioning scanner at the moment (and I'm an idiot with computers). Could wait til it's fixed, or......

I would certainly be willing to bring them to a 'gathering' if there really is going to be one organised?

I liked whoever's idea it was of meeting eachother and bringing the wonderful 'stuff' we received from Roddy over the years. I would certainly be interested in meeting people who admire him as much as I do. And it would be very thrilling to see all the stuff each of us has collected. Sounds like lots of us have received cards, letters, autographs, and collected Roddy scrap-books that we could share.

Being new to the list - where does everyone live? Assume we're all over the place. Where would we gather?

Also, just read about someone in Australia doing genetic research, saying he's expecting the life-span to reach 120 years. So maybe we *can* make it....... Hee hee. ;)

bye,
Frankie

> > I wrote to him a couple of times in the 80's and he wrote back
> > friendly, warm, personal letters - immediately. The first time I
> > wrote to him I enclosed drawings I had done of him from scenes of his
> > movies. He took the time to write cute little comments on each of
> > them, autographed them, and sent them back to me. (I was hoping he'd
> > keep the drawings, but I ended up more tickled to get all the little
> > notes scribbled on them!)
>          Still got them? Got a scanner? I'd LOVE to see them!!!
>
>          BTW, Welcome to the group Frankie!
>
> Paul Worley

Subject: No Time for Sergeants

While I think this movie is hilarious, can any of our film experts tell me WHY Roddy wasn't cast in the movie? Andy Griffith & Myron McCormick were from the stage production were cast, so why wasn't Roddy? I always thought the guy who played Ben in the movie was the weak spot (& that was even BEFORE I knew that Roddy played Ben on stage).

The A&E tribute was lovely. Has anyone seen the montage from TCM? I was waiting for "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" to start & they ran a tribute to him. It's about 1-2 minutes in length & shows many of his clips. It ends with a clip of him in one of his later movies saying, "Well, that's that then " (anyone know what movie that is?), then ends with a still of him as a child with "Roddy McDowall, 1928-1998." Just lovely. Hopefully, they'll run it in between his movies on TCM.

- Maureen

Subject: Re:Liftetime Achievement Award...

I agree with Janet that it would be a nice idea to make some sort of memorial contribution in Roddy's name. I had also been considering the Motion Picture and Television Fund's retirement home, since he had a very personal connection with it and Virginia McDowall lives there. I don't think that Roddy would have objected to this, since it will first and foremost help others. Does anyone know of an address to which we could direct such contributions?

BTW, Janet, I'm in Northern PA.

Cheryl

> Yes, there is a difference between American and British VCRs. They
> are totally different systems,(The British is called PAL and the
> American one is NTSC.),although there are such things as
> multisytem > VCRs.The only place I have seen them is Canada and
> they are VERY expensive. If you try to play a British video on an
> American VCR You get a snowy, wiggly,black and white,triple
> picture, and sound that plays way too fast. I've tried it.
> Tam

Actually, I've never seen them for sale here, but I know they're quite widely available everywhere outside North America.

Lynne Ackerman
Toronto

Subject: intros all around

Well, I may be just a brain in a jar by the time 2100 rolls around, Tammy, but right now, I'm a 22 year old, 4th year English student (at the U of Lethbridge, anybody heard of it? Anybody? Yeah, well, it's still a great school..) I've lived all my life in Southern Alberta (Canadian, eh!), and I work in a video store. I think the first thing I really remember seeing Roddy in is Fright Night, when I was a teen, and strangely, I was watching him more intently on the screen than his teenage costars (although I still get a kick out of Evil, "you're so coooool Brewster!") I think what attracted me most to Roddy was his eyes. I am a semi-artist and I love large, expressive eyes (Al Pacino's are awesome too!), and Roddy's were the best. After watching him struggle through the Poseidon adventure, I was hooked. So now you know who is sending this loooonnnnng E-mail, and I'll shutup now. And yes, Sue, I'm set. I called that number and sent off my order. Any one else interested might want to know that A&E sold out of his bio really quickly, and it's on back order. (a whole 4-6 weeks. Eek.) O.K., now I'll shut up.(:)
Kari

Welcome Tammy and all of the new members!

I'm Pamela, since there was already another Pam on the list when I joined. I have lived in Phoenix for 1 year now. I grew up around the Pittsburgh area and went to college and graduate school at the University of Pittsburgh. I am (still!) in the process of looking for permanent work. I live with my fiancée and our two little dogs, Niles and Frazier.

I can't really pinpoint my first RM movie or TV appearance. Might have been IT, Night Gallery, Legend of Hell House or his numerous TV appearances. I already knew who he was when I saw POTA for the first time in the seventies (I was born in '71). Even under the extensive apes makeup, I knew his eyes and voice. I absolutely loved him in Tales of the Gold Monkey. I, too, was convinced I'd grow up to marry him when I was a little girl. I wish that I had the opportunity to have seen him perform live or met him.

As to Tammy's comments--I agree whole heartedly. His sexual preferences in no way affects my admiration of him as a person and an actor. I am a private person too, so I understand his position. My natural curiosity makes me want to know more about his private life, I guess I have to wait 100 years or by a Liz Taylor biography! I was wondering who was this Dennis Osborne who cared for Roddy in his last days and who was quoted in all the articles re: RM's death? I've pretty much figured it out by now. My heart goes out to him. As broken up as I am about his death (& I never met the man), I can't even imagine the grief of those who were closest to him. I wonder if Roddy was angry at Army Archerd for breaking his illness in the Daily Variety?

Pamela

From: Zira918@aol.com
Date sent: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 23:18:27 EDT
To: isantos@mail.win.org
Subject: Zira918

Hi.
         I just discovered today that you have an unofficial fan club for Roddy. Well, I have loved Roddy since I was eight years old and that was three decades ago!
         I was unaware of this website and just learned about it this week. I would like to be a part of your group. I hate the fact that I learned only this week about you since my poor family has had to hear about him for a lifetime!
         The biggest thrill of my life was receiving an unauthorized biography of Roddy when I was a teen. The Innovative Artist sent it to me. I still have that book in my possession today. I have kept it all these years.
         I was telling Sally how I had searched his website to get some information for a letter I was writing to him when I found out that he had passed on. My timing could not have been worse.
         Needless to say I was quite devastated. I'm afraid people don't understand my sheading of tears for a person I've never met. But Roddy was a very big part of my childhood.
         I would like very much to be apart of your group. I realize that he has gone to be with the Lord but part of me will never let go. I did not know about your group until Sally informed me of it. If I had only known earlier I would have been part of your group a long time ago. Unfortunately I'm the generation just learning about computers ... from my children!
         Please E-Me at (Zira918@aol.com) I would like more information about your group.
         Thanx, Zira918

Well, Tam, since I'll be the other 138 year old pounding on the door of the library, let me tell you a little about myself. I am also 36. I've always lived in Pennsylvania - but I've lived all over the state. I've been married to David since 1986 and we have a 9 month old son. I'm a librarian by training, and have spent the last several years abstracting. It's tedious work, so I jumped at the chance to stay home with the baby for awhile. Eventually, I hope to go back to school part-time.

I really envy your chance to live in England. I love it there but have only visited as a tourist.

I really became a fan during the days of the POTA TV show. I was totally enchanted by that voice. Roddy was my first major crush. You made some good points concerning all the speculation over Roddy's private life. Personally, I don't care. I figure that if he had wanted us to know the intimate details of his life, he would have told us. What makes me mad is that it will probably be written up in the tabloids by people who really don't know anymore than we do.

I really don't seem to have much in the way of Roddy memoribilia. I guess that I'm just not much of a collector. I would be willing to help coordinate the mailing of clippings, magazines, etc. to our English friend.

Cheryl

Subject: Re: gather

> As for scanning them for you Paul, I have a non-functioning
> scanner at the moment (and I'm an idiot with computers). Could
> wait til it's fixed, or I would certainly be willing to bring them
> to a 'gathering' if there really is going to be one organised?
         I'll wait for the scanner to get fixed. I doubt there'll be a get together soon. We all talked about a gathering last year, but with everyone being from everywhere, it'd be almost impossible. Still, I'm voting for Cleveland or Pittsburgh...i'm about equal distance to both. :)

> Being new to the list - where does everyone live? Assume we're
> all over the place. Where would we gather?
        I'm right on the Ohio/Pa border, right by I80. (Got your atlas handy? ) Where are you from?

Paul Worley

Subject: Re: Tribute from Leonard Maltin

What a wonderful tribute to Roddy. What a treasure it must have been to have him for a friend. I really feel the loss personally, even though I never met him. I have loved him for over 30 years now. Sleep in peace Roddy.
Nancy M

Subject: Re: Gift Donation

It's a great idea to send a donation to the Motion Picture and T.V. Fund's Actors Home.
Getting an address should be easy enough.

Paige-Marie

Subject: Re: No Time for Sergeants

I might be wrong, but I had heard somewhere that Roddy didn't want to be in the movie because he wanted to avoid being typecast (???) If I'm wrong, set me straight, folks.
I think he should have done it though!
Nancy M

Subject: Welcome, Ann!

Forwarded by R.L. Smith-Graham <roc@smithway.org>
From: WZJB75A@prodigy.com (MR FRANK E LOOMIS)
To: roc@smithway.org
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 11:24:21, -0500
--

Thanks for a great site!! Been a fan of RM since the Apes films. Love Master Roddy best. Lassie and How Green was My Valley are great. They don't make them like that anymore Would like talk to other who feel the same. He Will Be missed!

Subject: Welcome, Phillip & Rasin-L

Warm welcome to Phillip Sisson and to Rasin-L!

Subject: Welcome anew, Janell

Just wanted to let you know, that in my haste and, of course, grief, I failed to put down my actual name when I signed. I am Janell Billy and I am very pleased to have found your website. I only wished that I had found it sooner. How ironic that I started thinking of Roddy again just around the time of his death. Hope that all of you keep on carrying the torch!
Take care, Janell

Subject: PAL/multi-system VCR

I've purchased a multi-system VCR from: www.wholesaleproducts.com/ The company is here in the States.

It will play (convert) PAL tapes to your American TV. It costs around $600. I love mine - can view British and Australian films which I order through their shops, such as The Video Shop: www.videoshop.co.uk/ The VCR I purchased is the Aiwa MX-1. He only had a couple left when I got mine, but it may be something he restocks regularly.

Bye, Frankie

> > Yes, there is a difference between American and British VCRs. They
> > are totally different systems,(The British is called PAL and the
> > American one is NTSC.),although there are such things as
> > multisytem VCRs.The only place I have seen them is Canada and
> > they are VERY expensive. If you try to play a British video on an
> > American VCR You get a snowy, wiggly,black and white,triple
> > picture, and sound that plays way too fast. I've tried it.
> > Tam
>
> Actually, I've never seen them for sale here, but I know they're
> quite widely available everywhere outside North America.
>
> Lynne Ackerman

Subject: Re: Welcome anew, Janell

Hey Janell,
         It's amazing how a tragic event can bring people together. I had no idea that there were so many others that felt as strongly as I did about Roddy. The *torch* has been lit for 32 years for me. It's here to stay. Glad to have you as one of us. Welcome! I'm new to the group as well but definitely here to stay.
Lorraine (Zira918)

Nancy,

Roddy was so extraordinarily good at his roles as the sweet child. It was easy for him to be typecast in the same role. However Roddy, being the true artist that he was, wanted to branch off and take on other challenges to show his versatility. He had to lose his British accent for that one and I believe it amazed Hollywood of his skill. I'm really glad he went on to do the movie because it was the catapult to his career. Audiences everywhere wanted more of him!
Lorraine

I am in Maryland, so Ohio or Penn. would work for me, but I think I would be willing to travel further for a RM gathering.

Joni

Subject: (no subject)

Has everyone seen The Grass Harp? He played a very small part in it but he was absolutely adorable. His versatility was remarkable. The movie itself was true poetry.

I'd love to share Roddy's unauthorized biography. It's says unauthorized on the front cover. A question was raised of its being unauthorized because it was sent to me by Innovative Artists. I'm not sure as to why they were not given authorization except for maybe perhaps Roddy didn't liked to photographed. There's alot of pictures in it. Roddy was always good about lifting someone else up but he appeared to be too humble to exalt himself. His privacy was always sacred to him. There are certain areas of his life that should never be explored or examined. I don't believe that there is anything in this biography that would be disrespectful to our late friend. Iill try to find scanner access and get the item to either Roc or Mel. At the worse case senerio I can mail either of you a copy of it.

Thanks again for the T.V. update on Lord Love A Duck. I love this movie!

Lorraine (Zira918)

Subject: Re: Welcome, Lorraine!

Here we go again! Can everyone add? Can you say 38 years old? What is it about our age group that drew us to him? That makes about 4 or 5 of us between 36 and 40. Has anyone else noticed we also seem to thrive in the Ohio/Pennsylvania area? Was this some strange genetic experiment?(Kind of a Boys From Brazil thing?) It does mean that those of us in the Ohio/Penn. area would have an easier time having a get together.
Tam

I'm pretty sure it was Quebec we saw them in.I've never seen them in any other part of Canada either.
Tam

Oh, by the way Lorraine,we all understand your tears. There have been quite a few shed around here since the 3rd. If you had been here earlier you would have heard several stories strangely similiar to your own,(which is what I was talking about in my previous message): I was 7,someone else was 8,or 10, or 11,or 13.Those eyes seemed to have a profound affect on us all.
Tam

Subject: Re[2]: No Time for Sergeants

Well, ok, if it was his decision. I thought it might be another of those "we know better in Hollywood than does Broadway". (Sort of like not casting Michael Crawford in the movie version of "Phantom." Booooo! Hissssss!)

- Maureen

From: People_Letters@timeinc.com <People_Letters@timeinc.com>
To: pj11@primenet.com <pj11@primenet.com>

Dear Reader:

Thanks for your e-mail.

In your letter, you express your disappointment with our coverge of the death of actor Roddy McDowall. We are sorry if this upset you, for that was surely not our intent. We have received many letters similar to your own -- It's obvious that this is one performer who will not soon be forgotten.

Thanks, again, for writing to PEOPLE and for making us cognizant of your thoughts. Your comments will be considered for possible publication in our weekly Mail column.

Kimberly Beder
for the editors

> Hello everyone. In the midst of our grief, I have some happy news.
> I will officially be Susan Martin, not Susan Munsey, very shortly.
> I'll be using that name from now on.
> Sorry, its not a marriage, but a very very happy divorce!!!!!!
> Join me for a marriage cert burning party?

         Hi Sue! When's the big day? I'm getting a divorce too. Mine will be final sometime in December. Of course, my name isn't changing! :)
Paul Worley

> > > I work for a design firm in St. Louis (near Mel) where we do all
> > > sorts of professional design work for retail chains like Borders,
> > > Bakers shoes, Cracker Barrel, etc where I do production work and
> > > smaller design jobs. Soooo I have all sorts of toys.... I mean
> > > machines =3D) at my disposal if you guys wanted a first rate
> > > reproduction. I would do the work (scanning, tweaking, layout) on
> > > it for free and we could discuss how we want to distribute it
> > > (copies/internet).
> > >
> > > ~jennifer
> >
> > Jennifer! Can you design something for a t-shirt?
> >
> > --Mel

Count me in for both! I would be more than happy to pay whatever! It's hard to explain to the cretins where I toil just what Roddy's life and death mean to me and I would love to be able to wear something that would make them HAVE to stop and ask so that I may pontificate and enlighten them.:-)
Beth

> 3 guys!
> My twelve year old son likes Roddy alot. He keeps telling me he
> wants in! His name is Thomas, (iluvgams@aol.com).
> Lorraine

Quick! Get him an E-addy! :)
Paul Worley

Subject: Time Daily obit

Roddy McDowall, 1928-1998
"Planet of the Apes" anchor dies of cancer at age 70

--Mel

First off, thank-you Mel for providing the address for the Motion Picture and Television Fund Foundation, and all of the wonderful info you provide. You're amazing! Do you do research for a living? You've got a definite talent for it!

Okay, I've got my donation ready, along with a note mentioning the Musgrave Foundation, stamped and ready to go. I'm waiting to see if we want to send them in all at one time. It's a great idea-let's knock their socks off! Can we agree on a date to send it? What about the beginning of November? Most people ,hopefully, will have gotten their paychecks by then, but anytime that's convienent is fine. I'm willing to pitch in to put flowers on his star on Nov 7th, too.

Also, sign me up for the T-shirt, unauthorized biography and the Christmas card list. I see I'll have to work some overtime this month!

To Thomas, Lorraine's son- Welcome! The more the merrier! You're never too young to be a Roddy fan. In fact, you've shown exceptional great tatste and discrimination for a young person. Good for you! I can probably make it to any meeting on the East Coast with enough time to plan and save up for it.

Janet C

Subject: Re: Gathering and Xmas card list

Hi di hi all!

It would be a great idea for a Xmas card list and as for the gathering, well, if I had a passport I would try and get over! I suppose I would need some money as well though!

There has still been nothing on British television in way of a tribute and all the magazines seemed to have forgotten the great man so I am upset. How could Roddy have been forgotten in such a huge way?

I would be brilliant if magazines, etc. on him could be gathered together for me to be sent as I would appreciate any. I would pay for them of course and if there is anything on Michael Crawford in the future I will look out for it. I did have a signed photograph of Michael (sent to me in the late seventies I think) but my ex-husband wouldn't let me have my autograph collection back or he got rid of it so I haven't got it now! The pig still won't let me have a lot of my personal things, etc. nearly three years later!!

I do dearly wish I had managed to get Roddy's autograph. Everytime I said I would write I never did get round to doing it and deeply regret it now. Are there any places which sell autographs who would have his? Or do any of you have any spare which I could buy off you? I would love to have a signed piccy to frame and put next to my wedding photos. This is my second marriage which only took place 20th June this year! It was quite funny as I had purple hair, blue make up and a blue dress to match!!! I will have to attach a photo if possible next time. I do have a website but haven't updated it for months and months! I will have to get some wedding photos and ones of Roddy on it. I will put the address at the end of this.

One film I would love to see again had Roddy with Deanna Durbin in it. I was only about 7/8 at the time and I remember there was a bad storm brewing. Roddy would have been about 20 years old in it and the scene was the would he/wouldn't he marry Deanna. Just near the end when you were to find out it started lightning and my Mum pulled the aerial out of the telly and turned it off!!! I have never seen the film on television since and I was in tears at the time of missing it! It showed how long I have been a fan as I am now 35 but still haven't found out the name of the film, nor if they did actually get married!!

Anyway, enough of my rambling and let me know what you think of the site! Unfortunately there is no Roddy on it but I will definately put some of once I manage to update!!

Love, Diane xxxxxxx
http://freespace.virgin.net/diane.turner/

> You also might try if they have a message board on the Fantastic
> Journey site.
> Tam

Where can I find this message board and the Fantastic Journey site?

--Mel

> 1.) Are Flood and Thief of Baghdad worth buying (ie-lots of Roddy in them?)
> 2.) Where would I find a copy of Fantastic Journey?
>
> Pamela :-)

Pamela, if you can really find a copy of Thief of Baghdad, please tell me where because I want a copy too. Lots of Roddy, indeed, since he has first-billing and plays the title character. And being a Star Trek fan as well, I'd be interested in seeing Marina Sirtis in the Oasis of Indescribable Delight.

--Mel

JANET C wrote:
> First off, thank-you Mel for providing the address for the Motion
> Picture and Television Fund Foundation, and all of the wonderful
> info you provide. You're amazing! Do you do research for a living?
> You've got a definite talent for it!

You're welcome. I'm a programmer, and I use the Internet as a resource even at work. Like when I can't figure out what the heck those cryptic error messages are, I search the newsgroups.

Now what I'd like to find out is an address for Elizabeth Taylor. We ought to send the poor woman a thank-you card.

> Okay, I've got my donation ready, along with a note mentioning the
> Musgrave Foundation, stamped and ready to go. I'm waiting to see if
> we want to send them in all at one time. It's a great idea-let's
> knock their socks off! Can we agree on a date to send it? What about
> the beginning of November? Most people ,hopefully, will have gotten
> their paychecks by then, but anytime that's convienent is fine. I'm
> willing to pitch in to put flowers on his star on Nov 7th, too.

How about sending them so that the donation reaches the recipient on November 5? So November 2 should do it for those in the US; others may need to send out earlier.

--Mel

Subject: RE: T-shirt

I would love to get a T-shirt please. But I live in Australia - and thankfully I do have a friend who plays banker for me and she can pay for the T-shirt for me - but what about postage?

There aren't too many of us outside the States - so hopefully it shouldn't be too much of a bother to find out.

Thanks. Janeen

> I would love to do a Roddy t-shirt! (and have actually been
> thinking about it for a while) As luck would have it one of our
> departments has its own line of t-shirts so i can talk to the head
> dude of the

Subject: Re: Many Things

Hello gang,

We sure are burning up this web site---I love it.

1/ Yes!!, on the t-shirt.
2/ Yes!!, on the Christmas card exchange.
3/ Since I seem to be the furthest south(in the U.S., anyway) anywhere for a gathering is fine for me. I'll just need some advanced notice for work and such.
4/ I also sent an e-mail to PEOPLE and I'm about to send one to INTEVIEW to see if there are any plans for a tribute for Mr. McD, in their magazine, since he has a contributing editor.
5/ I can't make it to the memorial(Nov. 7), but he will certainly be on my mind. Also, myself along with my family of friends will toast Mr. McD that night, since we'll be out celebrating my birthday.
6/ Well, I think that's it for now.

Take care, everyone.
Paige-Marie

Subject: RE: Responce to my letter to People magazine-FYI

WAY TO GO PAM!!! AT LEAST ONE OF OUR LETTERS SEEMS TO HAVE GOTTEN THEIR ATTENTION. LET'S HOPE OTHERS DO TO.

Janice

Roddy did have a great sense of humor so in that vein I'll pass this along. Overheard on a Boston radio station. "Friends of the late actor Roddy McDowall said he was not as nice a person as he was before he made Planet of the Apes. Insiders say after the movie he had a chimp on his shoulder."

Sorry...just thought I'd pass that along.

Sue

----------
> > Many of us know by now that Roddy's body was cremated and his ashes
> > strewn over the Pacific the same weekend he died. I was wondering if
> > it was Roddy's sense of humor that had made him choose The Neptune
> > Society to do the job. After all, Neptune was worshipped by the
> > Romans as the god of the sea; the ancient Greeks knew him as ...
> > Poseidon.
> >
> > --Mel
>
> Oh ho! Good catch, Mel! I had heard the Neptune Society thing (who the
> heck are they, anyway?), but I never associated the names.
> Kari

Thanks to all for your opinions on Flood/Thief of Baghdad/Fantastic Journey. Any opinions on "Circle of Iron?" I found Thief of Baghdad, VHS, used at a site on the internet for $30. I wonder how "used" it is, I'm a little hesitant to buy a used VHS tape. This site http://www.videoshoppers.com/ had a bunch of Roddy films, just search under his last name only, some of them were beyond my price range (over $50)

Here's my opinion on Laserblast, it sucked! I found it at a little store for a few bucks. Roddy was only in it for 3 minutes maximum. This movie was so bad it belongs on Mystery Science Theater 3000!

As to Benita's letter to People, very well put!

Pamela Coltellaro

Subject: Benita's 40!!!

Don't worry Benita. I hit forty this Christmas. Years pass quickly don't they? Lorraine

Subject: T-Shirt, bio

I too am interested in a T-shirt (I don't care what it looks like) and the biography (I don't care how it is distributed). Hope more information on how to obtain both will be posted soon.

JC

I agree, November 2 is a good date to send our donations. All those in favor? I vote yes! A thank-you note to Eliabeth Taylor would be nice. I'll start loooking for an address. If we can't find one, maybe we could send a letter to the editor of the L.A. Times and ask them to print it as an open letter to her from us. One person could write and mention The Musgrave Foundation and put our names on it. Or we could write to Liz Smith, the columnist who wrote it. I found her address in the Address Book, by Michael Levine. I would be happy to write the letter. Here's a thought, we could write to People Magazine asking them to print our thank-you to Liz to make up for sticking Roddy in back of the magazine!
Janet C

> I sat down the other night to watch Lord Love a Duck only to
> realize that I don't have TCM!! I have the other Turner channel
> and they were showing wrestling....aaauggghhh!! My cable system
> dosen't even offer TCM. Rats. Guess I'll have to scan AMC like a
> hawk and see what I can tape. If I see something coming up I'll
> post it here.
> Nancy M

Gee, Nancy, I just happen to have two conjoined VCR's (4 head and 2 head) and a boffo copy of Lord Love a Duck (now.) I also taped Lassie and The Loved One, but my White Cliffs of Dover got a bit hashed and is spead over three different tapes. I could however make you a copy of either or all of the first three. Email me if you want copies -- LLD looks like a hoot -- and I STILL haven't been able to watch it. (Watched Lassie, though.)

Stephanie
redraven@tir.com

Janice -- I have also been flashing back to the unhappy time I spent watching Bill Bixby lose his battle with cancer. I was extremely fond of him and his passing, although slower in coming, was still a blow. That is mostly why I harbored a lot of anger during the short time we knew of Roddy's illness, because it was cancer AGAIN, and I was just frustrated that the disease was taking so many good people. Mr. Bixby has not passed out of my conciousness either, since after unknowingly walking by one of the Relay for Life gatherings you described which was taking place near my neighborhood this year, I paused to light a candle in his memory. I hope that Roddy's death will help raise cancer awareness and influence some of us to donate time and money in the fight against it.

Stephanie
redraven@tir.com

> > First off, thank-you Mel for providing the address for the Motion
> > Picture and Television Fund Foundation, and all of the wonderful
> > info you provide. You're amazing!
         I've been saying that for years!!! :)

> Now what I'd like to find out is an address for Elizabeth Taylor. We
> ought to send the poor woman a thank-you card.
         Here's what i have for an address... it's listed as an autograph addy, so i can't be sure if it's actually her or a service. Either way... try it out.
         Liz Taylor
         PO Box 55995
         Sherman Oaks, CA 91413

Paul Worley

Subject: Hollywood Reporter (10/07/98)

I wish I'd found this sooner.
--Mel

RAMBLING REPORTER (column) --
McDowall was always a giver, even when occasion was sad

Subject: Boston Herald (10/06/98)

Boston Herald
Roddy McDowall loved stage, film, and the `Apes'

--Mel

> Seems funny there are only two guys here.

Make that three
Matt Mitchell............. California

Subject: Trekie

Hey Mel,
         I'm a Trekie too. I like the original campy series with Leonard Nimoy. I know William Shatner couldn't act and the sets looked like they were made from cardboard and duck tape, but they were great.

Lorraine

We should all write people over this Courtney Cox thing. Why leave it up to just a few people! Do they have an E-Mail address or should we send a post letter in? OOh! Ohhh! Ohh! I know!..... Let's do them both!
         If we E-Mail with our screen names and write with our birth names each, 67 twice thats 134 angry disgruntled letters! Let's maukymuck them all up! Anyone have the addresses available to them? I'm too cheap to buy a People Magazine! Of course for Roddy I'm willing to.
Lorraine (Zira918)

Mel,I checked the Fantastic Journey thing again, and while they don't have a message board,they do have a guest book to leave a message on.It's an English site on classic American tv shows. It's called The Classic U.S. Television Collective.The address is: http://web.ukonline.co.uk/craig.pierce2/contents.html. I hope I wrote that right. I'm having trouble reading my writing. All I could find to write with was my daughter's orange crayon pencil... Here's a site with a lot of beautiful screen captures of Roddy from his childhood movies: http://www.stargalaxy.com/img_page/IG/0/1/4/8/index.html. It's a site on child actors.
Tam

> Besides, if RM were straight he would have ended up dating or
> possibly marrying Elizabeth T & getting his heart broken & that
> would have been sad.

Actually, I'm of the opinion that if Roddy hadn't been gay Liz would have grabbed him up and never let go. She might have always had a 'thing' for him, friends or not, which was why no one else would ever satisfy her, leading to all her divorces. Just a thought (not to be taken too seriously.)

Stephanie

Subject: Re: T-Shirt, bio

ME TOO, PLEASE T-SHIRT ME

Sabryna

Subject: Re: RE>Unauthorized Biographies/t-shirt

> I would love to do a Roddy t-shirt! (and have actually been
> thinking about it for a while) As luck would have it one of our
> departments has its own line of t-shirts so i can talk to the head
> dude of the department so we can get a good deal on a small run -
> there is one place that will do a minimum of 6 but I think we can
> get better deals with a minimum of 12 or 24. So what I can do is
> take a look at the artwork and do a design or two, let you guys
> vote on your favorite, and then take orders. give me a couple of
> days to investigate the whole price and ordering thing and I'll get
> back you on monday?
>
> ~jennifer
> jennifer.rayburn@phoenixcreative.com

That would be just too nifty, Jennifer! I think something cool, but not gaudy, something with that little duck logo maybe. I love shirts that make people wonder a little.
Kari

> Roddy did have a great sense of humor so in that vein I'll pass this
> along. Overheard on a Boston radio station. "Friends of the late actor
> Roddy McDowall said he was not as nice a person as he was before he made
> Planet of the Apes. Insiders say after the movie he had a chimp on his
> shoulder."
>
> Sorry...just thought I'd pass that along.
> Sue

Ha ha! Oh, very hysterical. These people were "friends", you say??;)
Kari

Subject: Re: Fw: Responce to my letter to People magazine-FYI

Well, I was feeling better until I read your reply. IT WAS THE EXACT SAME AS MINE! Oh, well, I guess the fact that they had to create a message to send to everyone who complained means they realized how many there were.
Kari

Subject: Re: card for Elizabeth

I kind of feel like sending a card to Dennis Osbourne,since he seems to have been Roddy's "signifigant other",but I guess that would be presumptive. It seems like Elizabeth is getting so much sympathy and everyone is forgetting that there may have been someone who was even closer to Roddy in a way.Did anyone notice that on the Apes documentary Roddy had a new ring on? The pinky ring he always wore was on the other hand,(right instead of left.),and he was wearing a gold ring on his 'wedding ring finger'. He knew he was ill when that was filmed in August,and I just wonder if it was sort of a statement and symbol of commitment as he was going. If it was,what a romantic and sad gesture.
Tam

> Kathy, OK, OK, yes, in all probabality if the whole truth ever is
> made public, Roddy was gay.**BUT** an article I no longer have
> because (sob-sob) my considerably vast collection on Roddy was lost
> several years ago, makes reference to he and Tuesday Weld having had
> a "fling"--their word, not mine. If true, maybe they talked about
> old times. Benita

That's still possible (that fling with Tuesday Weld), 'cause if you read any of the actually authorized versions of a lot of the stars from that period, a great many "swung both ways", as it were. I'm telling you, take a look at Monty Clift. Man! Well, maybe don't, because I got pretty riled up. He wasn't a very nice guy, and they mention several times that he sorta was mean to Roddy. Still, Roddy stuck with him and was one of the only friends around when Monty finally crashed and burned on whatever drug he was on at the time. Very sad story, but true! Myrna Loy mentions it in her memoirs too.
Kari

> Paige-Marie, I a prepared to get a similar letter re: Roddy, but I
> don't care. It will be worth it to know I got my opinion made. In
> fact a response, even a negative one will be proof it was read. As
> for the donations, if we could coorininate so they arrived close
> together it would call more attention to our group...Benita

Mine was read, and I got an apology. They even mentioned that they had "gotten several letters concerning Roddy's death", so that means they are paying attention to us, anyway.
Kari

Uh, 'cuse me, but just what the heck is "wall-eyed"?
-- Lady Mara

> > Hello everyone. In the midst of our grief, I have some happy news.
> > I will officially be Susan Martin, not Susan Munsey, very shortly.
> > I'll be using that name from now on.
> > Sorry, its not a marriage, but a very very happy divorce!!!!!!
> > Join me for a marriage cert burning party?
>
> Hi Sue! When's the big day?
> I'm getting a divorce too. Mine will be final sometime in
> December. Of course, my name isn't changing! :)
> Paul Worley

Well, happy divorce to you both! Congratulations!
Kari

I don't know about 138 year olds since I'm 46 now I guess that'll make me a 148-year-old at that library door. (Hopefully I'll get a nice cyborg body WITH a good warranty by then.) $6 million? I dunno, the way technology is going it'll only cost about $20 by then.

-- Lady Mara

Stephanie:

Thanks for the kind message. For anyone interested, the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life is a nationwide fundraiser which happens during the summer months, all across the USA. If fellow Musgravians are interested, you can check your local ACS chapter, find out when their local Relay will be held, and everyone can go out and light a candle in Roddy's memory this year. It's a great way to remember him, and donate some money to a very worthwhile cause. It also gives you a warm fuzzy feeling when you walk around with hundreds of other people all remembering people they've loved and lost to this horrible illness. I'll warn anybody who wants to do this though, bring plenty of kleenex, it's a very emotional time for all. If anyone wants more information on what the Relay is all about, how to get involved, or anything, just drop me a line. I've been involved for three years now, as a survivor and a volunteer. I'd be happy to talk about it.

Janice

Janice,

The name of the character was:
Alan "Mollymauk" Musgrave

-- Lady Mara

We should also send one to the gentleman that stayed by his side. I think his name was Ed. Does anyone have a name for him so we can research an address?
Lorraine

Subject: Re: Benita's 40!!!

Yeah, Benita, I turned 40 on Roddy's birthday - no big deal....

> Don't worry Benita. I hit forty this Christmas. Years pass quickly
> don't they?
> Lorraine

Dana Holland

pamela

Thief Of Baghdad is great!! Roddy is the title role and the one of the few times had top of title billing.

If you'r a ST:TNG fan, watch for the to-be D Troy feed him a kumquat.

-De-

Subject: thank-you to ET

> A thank-you note to Eliabeth Taylor
> would be nice. I'll start loooking for an address.... Here's a
> thought, we could write to People Magazine asking them to print
> our thank-you to Liz to make up for sticking Roddy in back of
> the magazine! Janet C

Janet, if you think "PEOPLE" will print it, I say go for it. Benita

back next

RM Tribute: Frames | RM Tribute: No Frames | Contact Us | Musgrave Foundation