RMGROUP mail
October 1998

Subject: Cards, Michael Crawford, etc.

Since it seems to be a good idea, on Monday I'll start collecting addresses. (Please don't e-mail me before then, as my company is switching its e-mail platform this weekend.)

As far as get-togethers go, one way we could "share" them is to take lots of pictures & maybe put them on the website. They have websites devoted to hacker "cons" & sci-fi "cons"--why not our Roddy "cons?" It would be really cool if we could get the t-shirts & have everyone pose in them.

Someone already talked about Michael Crawford, but if you want to see him in the movies, check out "Hello Dolly." A very young Michael plays Cornelius (ooh, there's a connection to Roddy), so don't take that as representative of Michael now. When he first hit in "Phantom," I couldn't believe they were the same person. He DEFINITELY has matured well! Also, if you're a skating fan, he helped Torvill & Dean with their "Barnum" skating routine. He was starring in the London production of "Barnum," & they asked him for assistance in choreographing it. There's a Torvill & Dean video that shows them winning the world championships with that number, & Michael is in the booth with them as the scores are announced.

In addition to Michael, I'm comforting myself after Roddy's death with Sam Neill & Alan Rickman. I watch "Sense & Sensibility" a lot, & the new MCI commercials with Sam are great. Being a loud, uncouth American, I guess I just have a thing for polite, somewhat repressed Brits. (I know, I know, Sam's a Kiwi, but that's close.)

- Maureen

Subject: Re: The Neptune Society

I think you are right Benita, I think Roddy probably chose the Neptune Society so as to not burden anyone after his death.

Joni

Subject: Fwd: Re: Roddy McDowall

> Dear Reader:
>
> Thanks for your e-mail.
>
> In your letter, you express your disappointment with our coverge of
> the death of actor Roddy McDowall. We are sorry if this upset you,
> for that was surely not our intent. We have received many letters
> similar to your own -- It's obvious that this is one performer who
> will not soon be forgotten.
>
> Thanks, again, for writing to PEOPLE and for making us cognizant of
> your thoughts. Your comments will be considered for possible
> publication in our weekly Mail column.
>
> Kimberly Beder
> for the editors

AS you all can see, they seem to have a form answer, as this is similar to the ones the rest have recieved, but at leat they got, read it and know we mean business...Benita

Subject: Re: Flood/Thief of Bagdad/Fantastic Journey

As I have mentioned before, FLOOD was filmed partly in my home town in Oregon. I saw it being filmed.(but Roddy wasn't there for those scenes). It was a TV movie by Aaron Spelling, a disaster flick about a small town flooding and no one cares. Roddy is only in the beginning for about 3 minutes, a fisherman going to fish in the lake that is dammed up and will eventually flood out. (but for any of you who have seen it, I sat many an afternoon on that bridge that gets blown up, dreaming about- you know who)

Joni

Subject: Re: Fw: Responce to my letter to People magazine-FYI

Nice that they answered, but how ambiguous can they get?

Joni

Subject: Re: McDowall memorial Nov. 7

It almost embarrasses me to say this, with the mentioning of divorces, but I got MARRIED last month. My name changed from Joni Wassom, to Joni Jackson.

Joni

Subject: Miscell. Roddy

Since I seem to be the only one who has both the 'unauthorized' bio and 'The Films of..' I will take them both to work today and photocopy them. But I still have no way to scan. If someone who does and has a fax line will send me their fax number I will pass the pages along. Most of both books are photos, but in the back of the second one is a listing of his films, up to 1975 and info like other cast members, running time, etc. And as I said, I wrote the publishers and asked for an updated edition.

Going back to the Neptune Society thing, if you think back to the interviews Roddy did re the 'Apes' films, when asked about the make-up he usually admitted being uncomfortable because he was somewhat clausterphobic. Maybe the idea of the ultimite confined space didn't appeal to him. Just a thought.

Also, since this is "National Bosses Day", I want to nominate mine for first prize. I really don't have a way to get anything printed from the computer I am using. There have been several of the e-mail, mostly the obits, I wanted copied. Knowing that sometimes a person just doesn't understand how much an entertainer really means to you I was a little hesitant to do it, but I went to her and told her about Roddy and how much he meant and the articles and asked if I could forward them to her office for printing. She was completely understanding and said I was welcome to do it and told me how sorry she was about his death. The Thursday his A&E Bio was shown I had to work. I had set my VCR to tape it and planned on watching and taping (as a back-up) the midnight showing. But as with the best laid plans of mice and men, about 10:30 p.m. I tripped and fell. I couldn't put any weight on my left knee and it hurt like crazy, the consenus was I needed a x-ray. Because of the small staff size no one could leave to take me to the ER and I couldn't find anyone else to do it. Someone called her and she came over, took me to the ER, stayed with me and then took me home. Luckily, there was no damage to the knee. As I lay on the exam table, despite the pain in my knee I was thinking of how ironic it was that I was missing the midnight showing because part of why I fell in the first place was that I was thinking about watching/taping it with anticipation instead of paying attention to where I was going. Of course, I didn't tell her that part of the story...I didn't want to push my luck., ha-ha Anyway, she is a cut above the other people I have worked for...So, Kitty Pizzola, Happy Bosses Day!!!

Benita

Subject: Re: Gathering and Xmas card list

> One film I would love to see again had Roddy with Deanna Durbin in
> it. I was only about 7/8 at the time and I remember there was a
> bad storm brewing. Roddy would have been about 20 years old in it
> and the scene was the would he/wouldn't he marry Deanna.
>
> Diane

DIANE, I am pretty sure the film you asked about is "Kidnapped." It was on tv recently, but I had to leave for work before it eneded and I did not have a spare blank tape. A mistake I won't be making again. Benita

Subject: RE: Responce to my letter to People magazine-FYI

Good going Pam!!!! Let's all let them know we are a force to be reckoned with....Benita

Subject: Re: RE>Unauthorized Biographies/t-shirt

Jennifer

I can dig out the biography and make copies for you, if no one else has offered. Let me know. I think mine is in pretty good condition because I pack all my Roddy stuff in a trunk along with my high school memorabilia and haven't opened it much. Like I said, let me know and I will do it ASAP.

Joni

> Mel,I checked the Fantastic Journey thing again, and while they don't
> have a message board,they do have a guest book to leave a message
> on.It's an English site on classic American tv shows. It's called The
> Classic U.S. Television Collective.The address is:
> http://web.ukonline.co.uk/craig.pierce2/contents.html. I hope I wrote
> that right. I'm having trouble reading my writing. All I could find
> to write with was my daughter's orange crayon pencil... Here's a site
> with a lot of beautiful screen captures of Roddy from his childhood
> movies: http://www.stargalaxy.com/img_page/IG/0/1/4/8/index.html. It's
> a site on child actors.
> Tam

I had Craig Pierce's and Star Galaxy's webpages bookmarked a while back. By the way, Craig is a member of our group (hi, Craig!), he's just not as talkative as Paul (hi, Paul!).

Maybe we can lobby the Sci-Fi Channel to show Fantastic Journey and Planet of the Apes again. Last time they did this was two years ago.

--Mel

Subject: Re: Hollywood Reporter (10/07/98)

Mel,
         Thanks for showing that article written by the Hollywood Reporter. People who don't recognize Roddy's value as we do can't read such a thing and not be moved. Got the old water works running again. You sure have a nack for finding things.
         I was looking for that page on* Fantasy Island* because someone said they loved his character on it. Unfortunately when I typed in Fantasy Island my surf landed me in a site I wouldn't ordinarily visit. Help! What was that page again? I'm afraid to venture!

Lorraine

Subject: Re: (no subject)

Hey Tam,

Here's a brain twister for you. Watch a film called *The Silencers*. The friendly alien is played by an actor named Dennis Christopher. He can't act very well and is certainly no Roddy > but he looks so much like him that it's almost eerie. In fact...I was so convinced they had to be related I was writing Roddy a letter about it. I thought that perhaps Roddy's sister had a son. Only for some reason at the time I could not remember Virginia's name. That was on October 3rd. I had no idea that Roddy had passed away that morning. That is until I ran into a page on the net that had his obituary posted. I still have the half written letter in my computer. I don't have the heart to trash it.

But check it, Dennis sounds like him too. His voice, accent, facial expressions and all the characteristics of our Roddy. My daughter even thought Dennis was Roddy at first. Of course she couldn't believe he grew his hair so long. (Blonde too). It's not a bad film. It is a *B* title though. And even though Dennis looks like Roddy he is by no means close to our favorite guy!

It doesn't mean that Dennis is his son. He could be a nephew. Maybe he is not related at all. But you should see this guy. I bought the movie only because Dennis reminded me of Roddy. It's definately noticable.
Lorraine

Lorraine, yeah, you're right, he deserves a note too. The best friends are the ones who hold your hand in the end. The People article mentioned a friend Dennis Osborne. Could that be him? I have no idea where to write though. Liz does seem to be getting of most sympathy,although Roddy was probably the only good guy in her life.What will she do without him?
         Anyway Tam,with this Pa/Ohio thing, do you think we could get some of Roddy's DNA and test everyone? Maybe it's true! If it were, maybe they'd let us in to read his diaries!You never know what the government will do these days! Just a thought!(and just kidding!)
Janet C

------------WebTV-Mail-2117193829-10911---------------
We should also send one to the gentleman that stayed by his side. I think his name was Ed. Does anyone have a name for him so we can research an address?
Lorraine

Subject: Re: Trekie

OK OK OK i admit it, I am a Trekker too. I LOVE it. . . I can't help it.

Joni

Subject: (no subject)

Hi Everyone,

Great work to those who wrote letters to PEOPLE. I really don't think Hollywood knew how much Mr. M. meant to "all of us". I don't mean that critically---how could they know? Hopefully, they'll know now.

I'll have my donation in the mail, 2 November. I will also, gladly, donate to flowers for 7 November.

As far as Elizabeth Taylor not being in BIOGRAPHY---wasn't it filmed sometime around May? If so, wasn't ET laid up with a fractured back? That's my guess.

Let's definetly do something for Elizabeth Taylor.

Take care, gang---
Paige-Marie

As we are all evidence of, Roddy fans do tend to start early in life!
         I would like a copy of the Unauthorized Biography and the "Films of",if anyone is feeling really generous.(I'll pay for them.) I might know where I can find episodes of Fantastic Journey. I have to get hold of the person who might have them,and it might not be until next week.I'll keep you guys posted.My husband, Ken, has been wanting to find some for ages,and a friend who had a VCR very early on just occurred to me recently.Does anybody know what PLEX is? They are showing "The Defector".
         I punched up Roddy on a net find thingy today and happened across some pretty strange (and stupid) conversations on a gossip group(only way to describe it.)They were talking about Roddy's death, and of course the conversation turned to the gay question.One person said they once knew someone who said they had dated Roddy's SON.They said they hadn't believed them though, because they had always thought Roddy was gay, and besides,the person had claimed that Roddy's son lived in------wait for it!--------Ohio! This cracked me up because of all of us that live in the Ohio area,and what I said before about it being due to a Boys from Brazilish genetics experiment.(Ok,they created all of us Roddy people,then they cloned a "son" for Roddy, and....It was all supposed to create a new Master Race of Roddy offspring,except we never found the "son",see...) I hope you people know I'm kidding...)

Tam

By the way. Don't miss The Grass Harp. It's very poetic. If you have not seen it yet keep one thing in mind ... the title. The grass in a philosophical way describes us, my fellow Musgravians.
         Also, Roddy did a movie called *The Deadly Game*. When I worked in a video store it was classified as a B title. (Meaning not so popular). Please rent it. It's good!
Lorraine

Thanks Paul. This seems to be the address for Liz. I asked at two of the webpages for her and got the same address both times. I went ahead and sent a group thank-you card from The Musgrave Foundation. I included a brief explanation of who we are and the webpage and e- mail address. Is this okay? I know I'm a newbie to the list and don't want to butt in and be too obnoxious, but I had the card and I'm one of those people who likes writing notes. My apologies if I 've been too pushy. BTW, can anyone tell me what the letter from Roddy on The Musgrave Foundation page says? It's too fuzzy and I can't read it, so naturally it's driving me crazy wanting to know . Thanks,
Janet C

---------------
> Now what I'd like to find out is an address for Elizabeth Taylor.
> We ought to send the poor woman a thank-you card.
         Here's what i have for an address... it's listed as an autograph addy, so i can't be sure if it's actually her or a service. Either way... try it out.
         Liz Taylor
         PO Box 55995
         Sherman Oaks, CA 91413

Paul Worley

Subject: Un-authorized biography

Roc,
         OK Roc. Mel says I should send this to you. I copied the bio and it's ready to go. Funny thing, the copies look better than the book. The pages of my book have yellowed.
         Where do I send it?
Lorraine

Subject: Re: Miscell. Roddy

Benita your poor thing! Hows your leg now? EEEK! If only Roddy knew what we went through for him!
         Guess you'll have to stay off your feet awhile and tape tape tape!
Lorraine

Subject: Re: Roddy McDowall

Now there's one I hadn't thought of. I always looked at it from the side of Roddy having a thing for Eliz.,but that theory would work.
Tam

That's what I was going to mention too(Roddy possibly being bisexual.) I wondered if Roddy had actually had a relationship with, or at least a thing for M. Cliff(and Sal Mineo too.And who could blame him for that?Sal had The Eyes too.)
         Mel,if I ever get my scanner working and wanted to email you some pictures to use on the site, are you interested?I have a few small pictures in my scrapbook, but in looking at the one that Ken(my husband) kept as a kid I see that he has some very nice large pictures of Roddy that should survive the transfer process quite well. Of course, if anybody wants photocopies in the meantime,I could do it. Unfortunately one of the really nice,big pictures is in colour and my local copy place won't copy copywritten material.Drat this scanner...
Tam

Way to go Joni!. I've already made a copy of the bio for Jennifer, Janet and Roc. I can copy one for you and Mel as well. But it would have to wait this next week. I need to mail these three off. If I can get a set to Roc maybe he/she can put it on the net.
Lorraine

The afforementioned Dennis Osbourne.
Tam

Subject: Re:Wall Eyes R Us

I know what 'wall-eyed' means, because my Dad frequently uses the term to refer to me! Also variously described as 'bug-eyed','pop- eyed',and "eyes like two burnt holes in a blanket".(I'll spare you the more disgusting version of that last one, which involves snow and a cat with a kidney problem.) Do blue eyed people ever have these foul terms used against them?!
Tam

Pamels, as for your response to People ..... YOU GO GIRL!!!! Lorraine

Tam,
         I'd like to see * It * again. I don't remember anything about except that it was one of the very first movies I ever noticed Roddy in three decades ago. It cannot be found on video.
Lorraine

I agree with you about "Deadly Game";an interesting and surprising movie! I can't say more----don't want to ruin it for anyone. Suffice to say Roddy people will find it very interesting.
Tam

Subject: RODDY MCDOWALL'S PARTING GIFT

RODDY MCDOWALL'S PARTING GIFT

(OCT. 16) WENN - SIXTH - HOLLYWOOD, SHOWBIZ & PEOPLE NEWS - RODDY McDOWALL left a parting gift for many of his close friends - envelopes stashed with cash.

Just two weeks before he died of cancer (SEP98) withdrew more than $100,000 from his bank account and had envelopes of money delivered to people he wanted to surprise with a special "thank you".

Among those who received a windfall to the PLANET OF THE APES star were hairdressers, make-up artists and limousine drivers who had worked with him over the years.

McDowall died of cancer on October 3 (98) at the age of 70.

Copyright (c)1998, World Entertainment News Network, all rights reserved.

Subject: Re: Trekie 10/17/98

OK Joni,
So who was your favorite character? Mine was Spock. Lorraine

Subject: Fw: Fantastic Journey

I wrote to the fellow who runs the fantastic journey site hoping he would know where I could get my hot little hands on a tape of the series. He's hasn't found it on sale anywhere, but gave some suggestions that we might try to find it.

Pamela

From: Pamela Coltellaro <pj11@primenet.com>
To: craig.pierce2@ukonline.co.uk <craig.pierce2@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: 16 October 1998 02:23
Subject: Fantastic Journey

Is it possible for me to purchase a copy of Fantastic Journey? I would need a VHS tape for an American VCR. I've been looking, but no luck so far. Thanks for your help.

Pam Coltellaro :-)

Subject: Re: People address, email & fax #

Don't know if someone answered this one yet. I email my nasty gram at editor@people.com . You can snail mail and fax them too:

People, Time & Life Building, Rockefeller Center, New York, NY, 10020 and (212) 522-0794.

Must include writer's name, address and daytime phone number. I'm just a font of semi-useless information.

Let's give 'em hell!

Pamela

Wednesday, October 21, 1998
Barbara Vancheri, Post-Gazette Staff Writer

[snip]
The actor's opinions and memories are chronicled in a new book, "Charlton Heston's Hollywood: 50 Years in American Film," written with Jean-Pierre Isbouts. The text offers snippets of Heston's journal entries about his films, along with his recollections and those of his wife of 54 years, Lydia.

[snip]
In a recent conference call with reporters, Heston fielded questions on a range of subjects. Here are some of his thoughts on:

"Planet of the Apes": "It introduced a whole new genre. This was before they made 'Star Trek' and 'Star Wars' and 'Alien' and 'Lost in Space' and all that, and the genre of the space opera was created by 'Planet of the Apes.' ... They're making films in that genre all the time and 'Planet of the Apes,' I'm happy to say, is one of the best of them."

The late Roddy McDowall: After reading in the newspaper that "Apes' co-star McDowall, who seemed fine when they were doing interviews for the movie's 30th anniversary, was ill, "We called several times to try to see him, but he was asleep every time and, of course, he died with frightening speed. And we've lost him. He was not only a wonderful actor but that rare commodity in Hollywood: He was a gentleman, a real gentleman."

Subject: The Hollywood Reporter Oct 13-19, 1998 issue

Rambling Reporter by Robert Osborne
for The Hollywood Reporter
Oct 13-19, 1998 issue

McDowall would be delighted to be honored by the Academy
Bacall praises the late, great actor at Gest's big benefit

About that memorial service for Roddy McDowall at the Academy's Samuel Goldwyn Theatre on Nov. 7: It's always been a policy of the Academy not to do memorials, but it is making an exception for Roddy because he'd been such a longtime Academy board member, representing the actor's branch, and because he'd just been elected president of the AMPAS' Academy Foundation. And wouldn't he have been pleased. Roddy was passionately devoted to the Academy and its causes despite the fact that -- even though he had many fine, fine performances in his 60-year career (his first film was made in England in 1938) -- he never received an Oscar nomination and was one of the few child stars of his era not to receive one of those miniature Oscar statues that were once given to juvenile players. Academy president Bob Rehme will officiate at the salute; the event is specifically intended for Roddy's longtime industry friends and Academy members.

Roddy was given a terrific tribute by Lauren Bacall at Sunday's fourth annual International Achievement in Arts Awards at the Beverly Hilton, which were produced by David Gest to benefit the Starkey Hearing Foundation and the Whitney Houston Foundation for Children. Bacall, looking like a million bucks, was the recipient of the night's main "legend" award for her own achievements, but the classy lady devoted her thank-you remarks "to my dear, departed friend, Roddy," praising his gallantry, capacity for friendships and pride in being an actor. Gest also dedicated the evening's hefty program book to McDowall.

> > Lorraine,
> > I would suggest that you look for another number first.
> > They have them all over the place out there. I had AOL out there
> > (in Antioch) for a while and I had a local number. Just a
> > suggestion.
> >
> > Joni
>
> Another idea is to sign up for any local dial-up internet service in
> your area.
>
> Stephanie
> redraven@tir.com

Unfortunately, Lorraine and her son have already let go of their AOL account. I've been getting mail delivery error messages from both their addresses.

--Mel

Subject: Re: That Darn Cat

> I was looking through my RM viewing guide for the month and noticed
> that That Darn Cat was showing on Disney on the 31st at 2:25 am. In
> my tv guide it sez that this is the 1997 remake of the movie. I know
> Roddy was in the original -- was he in this one too? Or was the
> listing just an honest mistake? (It would be great if he was in the
> newer one!)
>
> Stephanie
> redraven@tir.com
> Owosso, Michigan

Nope, he's not in the 1997 version. I've just checked the TVNow and ClickTV websites; they both say it's the Roddy/1965 version that will be shown on that date and time.

--Mel

> And for the Actors Fund...are the donations supposed to **ARRIVE**
> on Nov. 2nd or be **POSTMARKED** on the 2nd. If I mail mine on
> the 2nd it won't arrive until the 4th or 5th. Benita

My original suggestion was an *arrival* date of November 5. I wanted the donations to arrive before the memorial service.

--Mel

Subject: Re: what was that movie?

> I hate to show my baser side to the whole group, but would whoever
> mentioned the movie where you said some woman grabs Roddy's butt
> please repeat the name of the movie? Thanks, Benita

Oh, well now, I'm wondering how much baser I am to have not only watched the film but mentioned that interesting little tidbit to the group ;-). It's called "Unknown Origin" (aka "The Alien Within"). Look for it in the sci-fi rack.

No, Paul, you may not withdraw your nomination for sainthood.

--Mel

> I think that Roddy deserves only the finest vintage that one can
> afford!

         My medications won't allow me to drink booze. So for me, the best vintage will be Pepsi! :)
Paul Worley

*Toast-Midnight is good for me ! toast with champagne , complete with special candle lit in his honor. Do something nice for a friend that day too.

* Flowers on the7-would someone who lives in the Ca. area be willing to place the flower order? If we all pitched in a small amount, say $5.00, we should be able to get a pretty decent bouquet.

*Card for Dennis- Benita, I lked your card, very appropriate. I got a card for him also. It says "With Our Thanks" on the front and"What you did meant so much to us and we want you to know how much we appreciated it. " How does that sound? We could both send the cards to the same accress at the same time. What do you think?You're right, I think he'll probably get it one way or the other. He deserves some recognition, I'm sure he was a great source of comfort to Mr. Mc D.

Janet C

> As of November 2nd, I'll be a married woman. It'll go from Yalita
> Bennett to Yalita Willis. Btw his first name is David and he's
> helped me a lot emotionally these past few weeks.

         Good for you Mara! Well, Yalita... i didn't know your first name till now. I sure hope your marriage goes better than mine...less than 2 1/2 years. Best wishes.
Paul Worley

Benita, I had to go back and read some old e-mails, but I found the one where Sue Munsey offered to go out and take a picture of our flowers. Bless her heart Maybe if we ask REALLY nice , she would order the flowers also. What do you think Sue?

I think the idea was to mail our donations on Nov.2 so that they would arrive a little before,or around the Nov. 7th Academy Memorial. Last but not least, I'm on vacation that week, so any tme to make the toast is good for me. Maybe I'll do it at 9p and midnight so no one will be left doing it alone!

Janet C

----------WebTV-Mail-1986180020-2355----------

As long as we are up, drinking and toasting, we might as well pop a Roddy movie into the vcr, just so we are not toasting thin air. Also, I hate to sound cynical, but how do we know if we send flowers the florist on the other end will be honest and actually do it and put a decent arrangement on Roddy's star? And for the Actors Fund...are the donations supposed to **ARRIVE** on Nov. 2nd or be **POSTMARKED** on the 2nd. If I mail mine on the 2nd it won't arrive until the 4th or 5th. Benita

Stephanie
         I may be wrong, but I don't think he was in the remake, unless in a small cameo role.

Joni

Stephanie,

I was born and raised in Owosso, Michigan. I graduated from O.H.S. in 1979. too weird.

Paige-Marie

> I'm sure they would do it if we all went naked,accompanied by our
> two headed 1200 pound grandmothers and their newborn babies,an
> alien, and Leonardo DiCaprio.

         Darn!!! MY two-geaded 1200 lb grandmother can't make it. She's got exclusive rights to appear only in the Weekly World News. :)
         So much for our fame and fortune!
Paul Worley

I would be happy to do it. Could someone send me the exact location, and I'll be there!

Thanks!
Susan Martin (Munsey)

> Benita, I had to go back and read some old e-mails, but I found the
> one where Sue Munsey offered to go out and take a picture of our
> flowers. Bless her heart Maybe if we ask REALLY nice , she would
> order the flowers also. What do you think Sue?
>
> Janet C

Subject: Debbie Reynold's Bio tonite

Howdy folks, What do I see when I flick on the tv after a long day? Our friend Roddy, on a commercial for Debbie Reynold's Biography on A&E tonight. I didn't get the time on it, but its probably at 8 or 9pm. I don't know how much of our hero is in the bio, but it was a very pleasant to see his face as the first thing as I come home for the evening. I'm not a huge Debbie Reynold's fan, but let's be honest, I'd watch Roddy read the phone book if I got the chance!

Pamela

         Here is a silly little bit of trivia that you might get a smile out of. When I was young and madly in love with Roddy, ( not knowing his inclinations) I dreamed of getting married to him halfway between his birthday and mine. This year I got married on 9/12. A week later I privately said Happy Birthday to Roddy. Then it hit me. My birthday is 9/5 and his was 9/17. I got married on the 12th of September!!!! Quickly do the math. I swear that I had forgotten all about it!! When I told my husband he laughed and said that is why I pushed for the 12th!! It wasn't why, I just wanted to get married in Sept and it was the only Saturday open at our church. But isn't that funny? Or not. LOL

Joni

He was wonderful when I heard the news about Roddy, he let me cry a while and never once told me I was silly. YEA!!! for my John!

Lady Mara,

My friend, the poster boy for all freaks, Bat Boy! This terrible rag- World Weekly News-that frequently reports the most insane stories imaginable is responsible for the Bat Boy. I don't know what the story is on B.B., but every now and again I see his picture gracing the front of that tabloid. The best way I can explain this obvious fake photo is a cross between Nosferatu (sp?) and Eddie Munster on acid! He always makes me laugh in the grocery check out line.

Pamela

> I don't know about the "National Enquirer", but I'll bet it would
> definitely make the cover of the "World Weekly News" along with
> the "Bat Boy".
>
> -- Lady Mara

Lady Mara. What is "Bat Boy"? Benita

> I would be happy to do it. Could someone send me the exact location, and
> I'll be there!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Susan Martin (Munsey)

Got the location from our website:

HOLLYWOOD BLVD. WALK OF FAME
STAR LOCATION
6630-C Hollywood Blvd.
between Hudson & Cherokee Near: City Life Sports

'Course, you can also ask Roc for exact directions.

--Mel

> When I was young and madly in love with Roddy, ( not knowing his
> inclinations) I dreamed of getting married to him ...
>
> Joni

You realize, if all of us who'd dreamt of marrying him had actually done it, he'd have had a fair-sized harem ...

--Mel

Regarding sending a card to Mr. Osbourne, could someone post the address for me. I am fairly new to the group and I never did know Roddy's home address. I always sent my letters in care of the agency that represented him. Thanks.
Janell

Sue Martin- Thank you, thank you! I"m sorry I got your last name wrong. How can we get the flower money to you? Is there an address we can send it? Maybe a business address if you don't want to use your home? Living way out here in the boonies of Pa (actually, only 30 min. from Pittsburgh), I haven"t the slightest idea where Roddy's star is- just somewhere in California. Maybe Mel would know. Mel knows everything! (That was meant as a compliment Mel, honest!)
Janet C

-----------WebTV-Mail-1135960536-1326----------
I would be happy to do it. Could someone send me the exact location, and I'll be there!

Thanks!
Susan Martin (Munsey)

> Benita, I had to go back and read some old e-mails, but I found the
> one where Sue Munsey offered to go out and take a picture of our
> flowers. Bless her heart Maybe if we ask REALLY nice , she would
> order the flowers also. What do you think Sue?
>
> Janet C

Maybe it's just as well that he never did get married- we can just share and share alike! At any rate, if he'd married all of us, he would have been much too tired to have made all those movies. Can you imagine-okay, who gets Roddy this week?

Janet C

P.S. See Sue, I told you she would know where his star was! Thanks Mel!

-----------------WebTV-Mail-586498128-28-----------------\

> When I was young and madly in love with Roddy, ( not knowing his
> inclinations) I dreamed of getting married to him ...
>
> Joni

You realize, if all of us who'd dreamt of marrying him had actually done it, he'd have had a fair-sized harem ...

--Mel

My diabetes keeps me from the grape, but I will be celebrating with my favorite: Caffeine Free Diet Coke.

Joni

> Stephanie,
>
> I was born and raised in Owosso, Michigan. I graduated from O.H.S.
> in 1979. too weird.
>
> Paige-Marie

Wow, small world, Paige! I graduated elsewhere but I've been living in the area (actually in Corunna -- Owosso's subcity) for seven years. Just curious, but where are you now?

Stephanie
redraven@tir.com

> Living way out here in the boonies of Pa (actually, only
> 30 min. from Pittsburgh)

         Hey Janet! I live about 50 min from Pgh., North of the burg. It's a little place called Farrell, right near the Ohio border. Where are you?
Paul Worley

> Regarding sending a card to Mr. Osbourne, could someone post the
> address for me. I am fairly new to the group and I never did know
> Roddy's home address. I always sent my letters in care of the
> agency that represented him. Thanks.
> Janell

Jannell, I guess there is no harm now, Roddy's address is: 3110 Brookdale Road, North Hollywood. CA and I think 91604 is the zip. Benita

> *Toast-Midnight is good for me ! toast with champagne , complete
> with special candle lit in his honor. Do something nice for a friend
> that day too.
>
> * Flowers on the7-would someone who lives in the Ca. area be willing
> to place the flower order? If we all pitched in a small amount, say
> $5.00, we should be able to get a pretty decent bouquet.
>
> *Card for Dennis- Benita, I lked your card, very appropriate. I got a
> card for him also. It says "With Our Thanks" on the front and"What
> you did meant so much to us and we want you to know how much we
> appreciated it. " How does that sound? We could both send the cards
> to the same accress at the same time. What do you think?You're right,
> I think he'll probably get it one way or the other. He deserves some
> recognition, I'm sure he was a great source of comfort to Mr. Mc D.
> Janet C

Janet, I mailed my card yesterday. I bought a sheet of those new stamps for breast cancer awareness as a portion of the procceds go to cancer research. They are 40 cents instead of 32 and the difference goes to research. The American Cancer Society had their own stamp at one time, but none were available. Anyway I used on of the breast cancer stamps. I included a note in the card. Regardless of the nature of their relationship, whether they were "just friends" or more he deserves our sympathy and acknowlegement of what he did. I work in the medical field aand have done a lot of home health for people who were termially ill, most of them have been cancer patients. And let me tell you, to stay by someone in a 24-7 situation and see how ill they are becoming and know there is nothing you can do is terribly draining; and as the person become more and more helpless it is a lot of work to attend to their every need, which is where I usually come in. If he was just a friend ! he was of a the kind of friend I'd want in my corner in a crises. And if he was Roddy's 'partener', he really needs to know that someone realizes he has suffered a loss and is in mourning. A lot of stright relationships don't survive a crises. Regardless of what everone's personal views are on gays, and whether or not Roddy may have been gay, I'd like to see everyone rise above their predjuices and let Dennis know we care....Benita

Subject: toast on the 7th

Well, I have my champange in the fridge chilling. I will be drinking my toast at Midnight on the 7th, which technically I guess makes it the 8th, so maybe just before Midnight. But as I said it will be close to 11:30 p.m. by the time I get home from work. By the time I grab a quick shower aand get dressed it will be just enough time to open the bottle. And I do think I will put a Roddy movie in the VCR. Probably "The Adventures of Bullwhip Griffin." I taped it last night and it has been long enough since I've seen it that I've forgotten enough of it that it will be 'new again'. Maybe one of you who hasn't already sent Dennis a card can tell him about our plans, he might like to join in the toasting. And it would let him know we are a sincer group of people who are not falling to the "out of sight, out of mind" mentality. Benita

I always have been and always will be a straight-edge. Mine will have to be n/a sparkling juice.

sXe!
Kathy
St. Paul, MN, USA

> > I think that Roddy deserves only the finest vintage that one can
> > afford!
>
> My medications won't allow me to drink booze. So for me, the best
> vintage will be Pepsi! :)
> Paul Worley

The "Bat Boy" was/is supposedly a real boy who was either abandoned or lost as a baby and lived in a cave in bats (i guess they raised him). Suffice to say, that he was in government custody until he escaped on of their labs. Whereabouts are still unknown to this day. Features: Kid looks like a bat with pointed ears, webbing under the arms that look like bat wings, and fangs. Hmmmm.....sounds like one of my old bad dates.

-- Lady Mara

> Sue Martin- Thank you, thank you! I"m sorry I got your last name
> wrong. How can we get the flower money to you? Is there an address
> we can send it? Maybe a business address if you don't want to use
> your home? Living way out here in the boonies of Pa (actually, only
> 30 min. from Pittsburgh), I haven"t the slightest idea where Roddy's
> star is- just somewhere in California. Maybe Mel would know. Mel
> knows everything! (That was meant as a compliment Mel, honest!)
> Janet C
>
> -----------WebTV-Mail-1135960536-1326----------
> I would be happy to do it. Could someone send me the exact location,
> and I'll be there!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Susan Martin (Munsey)
>

> On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, The Musgrave Foundation wrote:
> > Benita, I had to go back and read some old e-mails, but I found the
> > one where Sue Munsey offered to go out and take a picture of our
> > flowers. Bless her heart Maybe if we ask REALLY nice , she would
> > order the flowers also. What do you think Sue?
> >
> > Janet C

Sue, if we all chip in will you order the flowers and see that they are placed on the star. Also, since I have no way to download and print without a bit of a help from someone at another location, if I include a SASE and a little extra will you send me an actual copy of the photo of the stars with our flowers on it?? Benita

John, you rock man! :)
Kari

>          Here is a silly little bit of trivia that you might get a
> smile out of. When I was young and madly in love with Roddy, (
> not knowing his inclinations) I dreamed of getting married to him
> halfway between his birthday and mine. This year I got married on
> 9/12. A week later I privately said Happy Birthday to Roddy.
> Then it hit me. My birthday is 9/5 and his was 9/17. I got
> married on the 12th of September!!!! Quickly do the math. I swear
> that I had forgotten all about it!! When I told my husband he
> laughed and said that is why I pushed for the 12th!! It wasn't why,
> I just wanted to get married in Sept and it was the only Saturday
> open at our church. But isn't that funny? Or not. LOL
>
> Joni
>
> He was wonderful when I heard the news about Roddy, he let me cry
> a while and never once told me I was silly. YEA!!! for my John!

> I'm sure they would do it if we all went naked,accompanied by our
> two headed 1200 pound grandmothers and their newborn babies,an
> alien, and Leonardo DiCaprio.
> Tam

Leonardo DiCaprio IS an alien, or didn't you know? If you look reeeeal close on the Titanic, he's got pointy ears.
Kari

> > I hate to show my baser side to the whole group, but would whoever
> > mentioned the movie where you said some woman grabs Roddy's butt
> > please repeat the name of the movie? Thanks, Benita
> >

> Oh, well now, I'm wondering how much baser I am to have not only
> watched the film but mentioned that interesting little tidbit to the
> group ;-). It's called "Unknown Origin" (aka "The Alien Within").
> Look for it in the sci-fi rack.
>
> No, Paul, you may not withdraw your nomination for sainthood.
>
> --Mel

Thanks Mel, I usually have pen and paper handy when I read my messages, but I had so many that day I just sort of skimmed over everything...Benita p.s. it may have been base, but it was interesting, and that makes up for it.

> Maybe it's just as well that he never did get married- we can just
> share and share alike! At any rate, if he'd married all of us, he
> would have been much too tired to have made all those movies. Can
> you imagine-okay, who gets Roddy this week?
> Janet C
> P.S. See Sue, I told you she would know where his star was! Thanks
> Mel!
>

> -----------------WebTV-Mail-586498128-28-----------------
> > When I was young and madly in love with Roddy, ( not knowing his
> > inclinations) I dreamed of getting married to him ...
> >
> > Joni
>
> You realize, if all of us who'd dreamt of marrying him had
> actually done it, he'd have had a fair-sized harem ...
>
> --Mel

Mel, you say that is though it would have been a bad thing...I'd have been willing to share...Benita

> He also liked a movie M.C. was in where he played a milkman
> training for the olympics,(Sounds like a comedy to me, but he says
> it was a drama.) and he wonders if any of you can remember the
> title for him.
>
> Tam

That would be "The Games."

Cheryl :)

If you all want me to do this, please send me a private email, and I'll give you my address here in CA. It is my pleasure to do this for Roddy and all of us.

Susan Martin (Munsey)

> Sue Martin- Thank you, thank you! I"m sorry I got your last name
> wrong. How can we get the flower money to you? Is there an address
> we can send it? Maybe a business address if you don't want to use
> your home? Living way out here in the boonies of Pa (actually, only
> 30 min. from Pittsburgh), I haven"t the slightest idea where Roddy's
> star is- just somewhere in California. Maybe Mel would know. Mel
> knows everything! (That was meant as a compliment Mel, honest!)
> Janet C
>

> -----------WebTV-Mail-1135960536-1326----------
> I would be happy to do it. Could someone send me the exact location,
> and I'll be there!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Susan Martin (Munsey)
>

> On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, The Musgrave Foundation wrote:
> > Benita, I had to go back and read some old e-mails, but I found the
> > one where Sue Munsey offered to go out and take a picture of our
> > flowers. Bless her heart Maybe if we ask REALLY nice , she would
> > order the flowers also. What do you think Sue?
> >
> > Janet C

Got it. I'll be there!!!

Susan Martin

> > I would be happy to do it. Could someone send me the exact location,
> > and I'll be there!
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Susan Martin (Munsey)
> >

> Got the location from our website:
>
> HOLLYWOOD BLVD. WALK OF FAME
> STAR LOCATION
> 6630-C Hollywood Blvd.
> between Hudson & Cherokee
> Near: City Life Sports
>
> 'Course, you can also ask Roc for exact directions.
>
> --Mel

Subject: Re: married in September

Joni,Some things are fated I guess. Ken and I were married on 16th September,1989. He also was nice and sympathetic about Roddy's death.Of course,he's a Roddy admirer too. He brought me the newspapers,etc,and he listened to all the news I passed on to him with great interest. In wishing for my dream man to arrive I always wished for 'a nice,sweet,sensitive English man'. I was lucky,because that's just what I ended up with.With all the divorces (even some on here) it's nice to occaisionally hear about marriages that do work out.
Tam

Subject: Its a small world of RM fans!

Hey, I grew up in the "boonies" of Pa too-also only 30-45min outside of Pittsburgh-North Huntingdon. Then I spent 7 years at school in Pittsburgh (undergrad and grad-it didn't take me that long to get my bachelors!) before I moved to sunny Phoenix, AZ. And I thought I was the only one in a thousand mile radius who had an obsession with dear Roddy!
Pamela